ATV Snowplow quality / price

/ ATV Snowplow quality / price #11  
Jerry
Have you made any modifications to the ATV itself to make it taller? (tires, lift kit...)?
Does the blade look like it is tilted forward (the equivalent of shortening the top link when using the 3-point blade on the tractor)?
Does it only happen when the blade is straight or does the problem occur when turned also?
Brian

/ ATV Snowplow quality / price #12  
Jbrewer, I have the polaris 500 sportsman with the glacier plow system on it . Also the polaris has a 2"lift kit ... Now with that said I have only pushed snow with it on one occassion on a paved drive ,but it worked quite well as said before you can plow faster than you think with out a problem.
Some questions come to mind in your case:
1: is your plow the glacier system type?
2:are the release springs(overload springs) tight enough?
3:does the blade look as if it is vertical or is it leaning forward or backward?
4:is there enough slack on the winch when pushing snow?

With the independant suspension when you gas it it squats in the rear which will make the front angle up , could this be part of the problem?
Is your riding up problem due to wet heavy snow or does it happen with the fluffy stuff?
As one of the previous post described ,its best not to try to get it all the way down as the blade will wear on the ground and thats what the skids are for... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif trying to help
One other thing, if and when you assembled the plow and the plow brackets did the plow get bolted on the bracket with the right set of holes?Don't know if there was more than one set to use but the blades geometry is fairly critical(so the incoming snow pulls the blade down as you push)other wise you have a sled not a plow

/ ATV Snowplow quality / price #13  
Are you going fast enough? I have a Polaris 325...little baby compared to yours....and I found out that the the blade would raise up on mine but then I found out the faster I went the blade settled down and would roll the snow over and away I went. I was amazed how well the blade worked once I got her figured out. I can't wait until it snows! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ ATV Snowplow quality / price #14  
About 3-4 years ago I bought a MOOSE brand County Plow from Dennis Kirk for my wife's '99 Honda Foreman 450S.
It's a 50 inch width with a tapered blade and HEAVY solid construction...the ATV was already equipped with a winch and once the blade is installed, you pull two pins, unhook the winch cable, and off it comes. I did install a rubber flap on the lower edge of the blade to prevent gouging the asphalt with the steel wear bar.

After several hard winters the plow still looks like new, and it's so much fun clearing snow when there's a bad storm I go down to our neighbors and clear their driveways when mine is done...and guess what...after all that work and all that money I put into my wife's ATV so she could plow the driveway, she still hasn't used it once.

AIN'T THAT A SHAME??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ ATV Snowplow quality / price #15  
I have a 450 Foreman and I purchased a blade 2 years ago from Shade Tree. I don't recall the name of it offhand but it was made in Canada cost aout $100 dollars more but actually puts downpressure from the weight of the Quad to the blade. The handle locks in the down position and doesn't allow the blade to rise up. It is great for gravel and busting through drifts. Well worth the extra bucks. I had a plow and blade for my other Quad but this one really does the job well. The only drawback is the handle is a little hard to remove from the quad. Check out my websitew. Lots of pics of tractors and Quads.
http://users.adelphia.net/~gizmo/

/ ATV Snowplow quality / price #16  
Johnk,
Not that it has to do with the plow, but thanks for the link to the pictures of the Blizzard of 77. Brought back some memories. I lived in Derby NY at the time, right on the lake. We had 20'+ drifts in the yard. After the storm, we had to use broom sticks to poke into the snow to find one of the neighbor's HOUSE!!! It was 2 weeks before we could get to the cars in the driveway. The power lines to our house were under the snow. It was July by time it all melted.
Brian

/ ATV Snowplow quality / price #17  
Although I live in IN, I made enough money pulling people out of the snow that winter to pay for my truck. It was heaven for me at the time...had a blast and got paid "big" money to play! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ ATV Snowplow quality / price
Well I finally found time to put on the new blade, I went right out and started pushing gravel around. You are all right I think I will like plowing snow with this set-up.
Thanks

Attachments

• 473037-Plow 6.jpg
    473037-Plow 6.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 234
I had to get a little creative when I was attaching the blade to the winch.

Attachments

• 473042-Plow 4.jpg
    473042-Plow 4.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 380
One more picture. The winch is mounted very low in the frame on my ATV so I had to get to a higher lifting position, and I also wanted to slow the lift down with the pulleys so I can hold the blade up with the winch for doing the gravel.

Attachments

• 473045-Plow 3.jpg
    473045-Plow 3.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 432