auger point

/ auger point #1  

citytransplant

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 270DTC
After looking high and low for a replacement point for a 12" auger I finally found what I thought to be a suitable fit. After returning home from TSC with the new unit, I was disappointed to find that the diameter of the non-business end of the point exceeds its receiver by about 1/8".

Three questions: 1. Would it be costly (or even possible) to take this to a machine shop and have it turned/shaved by 1/8"?

2. As seen in photo, the replacement point is longer than the original (although maybe not as I got the PHD used and the old point may have been equally as long as the new a while ago). Should I be concerned about the discrepancy in length?

3. Any alternative solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2_20090512_1.jpg
    2_20090512_1.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 2_20090512_2.JPG
    2_20090512_2.JPG
    646.8 KB · Views: 160
  • auger_20090511_3.jpg
    auger_20090511_3.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 151
   / auger point #2  
Make sure the end of the tube isn't mushroomed inward. If that's the case a half round file might fix it.

It's crude but you may be able to grind the OD down to fit. I don't see an easy way to chuck it in a lathe.

/ auger point #3  
That piece will easily chuck in a lathe, take it to a shop their standard 3 or 4 jaw chuck will expand and catch the ID of the work piece... How thick is the metal? Can a 1/16 be removed without it being too thin? If so it's an easy turn down... KennyV

/ auger point #4  
Hi, what is the ID of your auger femail end tube?

After looking high and low for a replacement point for a 12" auger I finally found what I thought to be a suitable fit. After returning home from TSC with the new unit, I was disappointed to find that the diameter of the non-business end of the point exceeds its receiver by about 1/8".

Three questions: 1. Would it be costly (or even possible) to take this to a machine shop and have it turned/shaved by 1/8"?

2. As seen in photo, the replacement point is longer than the original (although maybe not as I got the PHD used and the old point may have been equally as long as the new a while ago). Should I be concerned about the discrepancy in length?

3. Any alternative solutions?

Thanks in advance.

/ auger point
I'd take the new one back & build up the old one with hardfacing welding rod. MikeD74T

That's a mighty nice offer Mike but it would be quite a trip for you from New Hampshire to Central NY.

All joking aside, I simply don't have that skill set ... yet.

The ID of the female receiver = 1 7/8"

The metal is solid Kenny, as seen in photo. I take it that you think that as long as the lathe chuck can securely grasp the point, shaving 1/16" from the 2" diameter male (non-business) end of the point (facing us in the photo below) shouldn't be a problem and should slim the diameter of the bit down by a total of 1/8".

Comments?

Attachments

• 3_20090514_1.jpg
    3_20090514_1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 96