Austin Texas

/ Austin Texas #1  

kenacp

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Dere 770
My daughter and son in law will be moving to Austin this summer. So, we are looking for a rural get away within an hour drive. Maybe 50 to 100ac. Any thoughts or suggestions on where to start?

/ Austin Texas #2  
West of Austin is rugged, hill country type land with a lot of cedar trees but beautiful.

East of Austin is mostly flat, farm, ranch and hay country.

Anything close = $$$

/ Austin Texas #3  
well, you won't be finding any swamps here.
Suggest you define what you are looking for...everything from deep soil black cotton land to dense brush with only rocks and hills so steep you need climbing gear is available. Raw land or highly improved with vineyard already installed...you have your pick, it's just a matter of choice and money.
And, it doesn't rain here for long periods of time...been in a drought for 5 years or so...lakes around 30% capacity and water rationing/restrictions in place. Having best spring in years now...don't know how long it will last, but still runoff is very slight.

/ Austin Texas #4  
My daughter and son in law will be moving to Austin this summer. So, we are looking for a rural get away within an hour drive. Maybe 50 to 100ac. Any thoughts or suggestions on where to start?

As others have asked, what kind of land do you want? Is this to farm and have animals, or are you just looking for a remote retreat? Austin sits on the edge of the hill country. West is hill country-rocky, arid and hill. Great places to escape, but working the property will be tough To the east and south is more workable land.

/ Austin Texas #5  
If I may ask, what is your budget? 50-100 acres within an hour may prove to be very expensive acreage.

/ Austin Texas #6  
I had a client who bought some land close to Austin with a to die for view, but after several attempts to drill for water, gave up trying to build a house there and they sold the land for about what they paid for it, minus the cost of the well driller. It's pretty country, but Austin has all the big city issues that I try to avoid, especially traffic!!!!

Eddie

/ Austin Texas #7  
I live in Austin with our place in Lampasas which is about an hour away. Austin is a great city.

What kind of land do you want? If its views and hunting then you want the Hill Country to the west and north west. If its farming, you want the black land prairie to the east/north east.

/ Austin Texas
Thanks for the replies. I have some land in Miss. that has some pastures , woods, a catfish pond and garden/orchard. Lots of wildlife too for hunting.Trails for riding the 4-wheeler and golfcart. Was looking for something close to that. Thinking now," I may be looking for a needle in a haystack". Budget about $400k for land only.

/ Austin Texas #9  
Thanks for the replies. I have some land in Miss. that has some pastures , woods, a catfish pond and garden/orchard. Lots of wildlife too for hunting.Trails for riding the 4-wheeler and golfcart. Was looking for something close to that. Thinking now," I may be looking for a needle in a haystack".

It's very doable here. We have property like that all around us.

/ Austin Texas #10  
The only real issue I see is the proximity to Austin. There are some places very near us that have what you want, but they are over a million bucks, some significantly more. Look South and East of Austin, and plan on being more than an hour from downtown and what you want is very easy to find, and for a lot less. West of Austin in the Hill Country has always been sought after, and for good reason, but there are still lots of places available, but you will be more than an hour away from Austin, unless you have several million to throw at it.