Automatic 4X4 for brake assist; like or dislike?

/ Automatic 4X4 for brake assist; like or dislike? #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
My newest tractor has a feature I'm not sure if I like or not. It's has mechanical front wheel assist (I call it 4X4, but I know that's not technically proper) that is selectable to "auto" 4X4 or full time 4X4 or regular 2 wheel drive. I mostly use 2 wheel drive. However, I discovered a feature I didn't know existed. I even looked it up in my manual to make sure it was a feature. What that feature is, is that the tractor automatically engauges the front wheels when you press the brake pedal and turn the steering wheel.

I honestly thought something was wrong with the tractor. It turns out that it is a safety feature. The JD rep I spoke with told me that the function is a safety feature that prevents an "out of control" trip down a hill with only the rear wheels sliding. Actually, it did exactly that the first time it engauged. I was mowing across the top of a lake dam and turned right to mow straight down the back side of the dam. The grass was a little wet and for a split second the tractor started to slide, then I saw the 4X4 light come on on the dash and felt the front wheels engauge. Once at the bottom of the hill it disengauged on it's own and I was back in 2 wheel drive.

My question is, do you guys think this is a good feature or a PITA feature? I'm not really sure myself. However, I don't think there is any way I can disable the feature. What's your take on the feature?

/ Automatic 4X4 for brake assist; like or dislike? #2  
If it prevents an out of control trip down a slope, I'd consider it a good feature. It'd be nice to have an overide switch though.

Apparently this is a Deere...which model, Dargo?

/ Automatic 4X4 for brake assist; like or dislike?
Oh, duh, :eek: I guess I gave that one away; being a JD. I assume other makes have this feature as well, but this particular tractor is a JD 5425. Based on my other "toys", this size seems to depart from the "CUT" size to simply the "UT" size. Again, my thinking is that this may be a standard feature on other Utility Tractor sized tractors. I've always previously owned CUTs or full sized backhoes or dozers; never the utility tractor size.

/ Automatic 4X4 for brake assist; like or dislike? #4  
While that may be a nice feature for some situations I'd want to be able to turn it on or off at my discretion. Could make a mess of a yard while mowing for example. What size tractor is this?

/ Automatic 4X4 for brake assist; like or dislike? #5  
   / Automatic 4X4 for brake assist; like or dislike? #6  
Since you can select from 3 choices -- auto 4x4, full time 4x4, and "2x4", it would seem you can disable it now. Unless I misread things, I think you had the tractor in auto 4x4 when it decided to kick in 4x4 to keep you from going for an unplanned swim. It functioned exactly as designed.

If it kicked into 4x4 from 2wd, that's something else again and could get annoying if you like to use individual braking on the rear wheels. Test it and let us know if it goes into 4x4 when using the steering brakes in 2wd.

/ Automatic 4X4 for brake assist; like or dislike? #7  
My rig is almost always in 4 wheel drive and I find that this improves brake steering.

steve

/ Automatic 4X4 for brake assist; like or dislike? #8  
I've found the opposite. It seems kind of hard on the front end and front tires of a CUT. I actually hardly use it on the DX-29, but used it a lot on my old 8N, which didn't have as large a range of motion in the front end and tri-rib tires as opposed to the Ags on the DX.

/ Automatic 4X4 for brake assist; like or dislike? #9  
features that helping keep the machine under control = good

having the machine think its smarter than me = not sold on that

Having mechnical componets controled by fancy electronics that could easly break = bad (how olds your home stereo..VCR...DVD player)

/ Automatic 4X4 for brake assist; like or dislike? #10  
daTeacha:

The difference is probably due to the situations for which brake steering is required. For me, when skidding a heavy log the load can prevent turns by pulling the back of the tractor in line with the load. 4 wheel drive helps because the front wheels pull the front in the turn direction. When it still won't turn I hit the turn side rear brake for an immediate assist.

Because this is a little off topic, I would vote positive for an automatic shift to 4 wheel drive when hitting the brakes. Trying to stop or slow down in a controlled manner with the two rear wheels sliding (in 2 wheel drive) can be dangerous and scary. This is one reason why I am almost always in 4 wheel drive on my hilly property.

Steve

EDIT- I have the same problems as Schmism about automatic safety equipment, but after getting my first automotive antilock brakes I am a lot more accepting.