Automatic entry gates - DIY

/ Automatic entry gates - DIY #21  
A top of the line ground mount opener is about $4,000. a wrought iron powder coated gate, basic as them come, maybe $2-3 grand. Add some more for mounting posts and labor. How do you get to $48,000 is way beyond me.

/ Automatic entry gates - DIY
How do you get to $48,000 is way beyond me.
The quote is from a well known gate and fence company in my area. I agree on the price.

I met with a 2nd fence contractor last week (no bid yet.) I liked everything he had to say. He does on-site fabrication of fences and gates using raw material. If there is a slope or contour, he custom fabricates picket sizes so the fence top is consistent and straight. If I go DIY, I'd be using pre-fab panels that would result in stair-step as the grade changes. So his end product would be superior to anything I could do.

I'll post when I get that quote.

/ Automatic entry gates - DIY #23  
22' custom wrought iron rolling, solid body, 6' high, solar opener and clickers. $8300.00 w/out the track slab and opener foot. Very reputable and respected iron worker that fabricates everything he sells. $48k, even in LA, would get you a lot more than that. He's just waiting for my concrete guy to pour the footing and track, then he's installing.

Pick

/ Automatic entry gates - DIY #24  
It appears to be a builders market. Even with raw materials at all time highs & mass exodus of people moving from state to state, I will take a few Sales 101 tips from another industry:
1) Everyone can be your client, not everyone has to be your client.
2) When you get too busy, raise your prices.
3) Price yourself into your target market.

/ Automatic entry gates - DIY #25  
I had my gate opener system replaced today. The European BFT system lasted 27 years so I can't complain.

Went with LiftMaster LA400 screw drives.

Could have gone with the heavier duty 500 series but my gates are well balanced lightweight aluminum.

In progress. 3 guys, 3 trucks all day.....

IMG_6105.jpg

Last edited:
   / Automatic entry gates - DIY #26  
I had my gate opener system replaced today. The European BFT system lasted 27 years so I can't complain.

Went with LiftMaster LA400 screw drives.

Could have gone with the heavier duty 500 series but my gates are well balanced lightweight aluminum.

In progress. 3 guys, 3 trucks all day.....

View attachment 707663
What's the new PIN Terry?

We just need it so we can visit the Big Barn!

/ Automatic entry gates - DIY #27  
And to think - I would need two opener systems. @ $48K each. Both my gates( inner & outer ) are too far from the house for 120 V power. Both are completely out of sight of the house. The outer gate is a mile from the house.

For me - even commercially installed cattle guards are out of sight - ~ $8000 each.

I'm just destine to get my lazy azz out of the truck four times when I go somewhere OR when I return.

/ Automatic entry gates - DIY #28  
What's the new PIN Terry?

We just need it so we can visit the Big Barn!

Just let me know when you're coming!

The main gate is open all day ....

IMG_6116.jpg

/ Automatic entry gates - DIY #29  
3 good guys all day.....i could nearly wire a small house. Must have been a bigger project than just swapping an opener.

/ Automatic entry gates - DIY #30  
The retrofit took longer than the original install.

The original "probe" to open the gate for vehicles leaving was upgraded to a magnetic loop for longer reliability

Arrow shows location of removed probe...

IMG_6132.jpg

After all the old gear was removed.....

IMG_6114.jpg

New brackets were fabricated and welded...

IMG_6133.jpg

The wireless keypad was changed to hardwired to provide more functions and the infrared sensors were upgraded to hardwiring both sides which provided internal heaters to eliminate the fogging of lenses due to condensation

IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_6136.jpg

New receiver and control box

IMG_6134.jpg

IMG_6113.jpg