Awaiting my Woodland Mills WC68

/ Awaiting my Woodland Mills WC68 #21  
nice you will be chipping in no time but plan for atleast an hour of assembly, more if you take your time. measure twice and cut once on the PTO shaft. plenty of you tube videos on how to do it. use the measurement when PTO shaft on tractor is level with the PTO shaft on attachment. that will be the shortest length. slightly short is better than too long.

If you plan to start using a quick hitch now is teh time before you cut your shaft too short. I was using a quick hitch and didn't have to cut mine at all.

If you need to drive the shafts together to hook up, your shaft is too long (PTO shaft) :)

/ Awaiting my Woodland Mills WC68 #22  
it weighs 8xx lbs so hope your loader is up to the task of taking it off the truck.

/ Awaiting my Woodland Mills WC68
New developments, got a call at 11:30 am from the shipper that it will be at my place in about an hour. What?!? I'm 1 hour 15 minutes from my cottage! Jumped in my car and since he had issues finding the right driveway, I arrived as he was unloading it.

It's now assembled and ready to chip woods next spring

Took way less than expected.

I haven't cut the shaft yet. That will wait until next spring.

He unloaded it with its platform so I didn't have to use the tractor for that but I did use it to move it to its resting place until next spring. Had no issue lifting it.

/ Awaiting my Woodland Mills WC68 #24  
If you make it until spring you are a much more patient man than I am. I picked up my sawmill about a month ago and said that I would leave it in storage until next spring... now I’m trying to get everything around the house buttoned up for winter so that I can assemble and start using it.

Blower is already attached to the tractor and having no Quick Attach, it's a pain to remove and install so that's the main reason why I'll wait.

/ Awaiting my Woodland Mills WC68 #26  
You need a second tractor!

LOL, my wife just told me that cottage lot starts to look like a farm.

/ Awaiting my Woodland Mills WC68 #28  
New developments, got a call at 11:30 am from the shipper that it will be at my place in about an hour. What?!? I'm 1 hour 15 minutes from my cottage! Jumped in my car and since he had issues finding the right driveway, I arrived as he was unloading it.

It's now assembled and ready to chip woods next spring

Took way less than expected.

I haven't cut the shaft yet. That will wait until next spring.

He unloaded it with its platform so I didn't have to use the tractor for that but I did use it to move it to its resting place until next spring. Had no issue lifting it.
Remember. When cutting the shaft, add 1 more inch to what you come up with in following the instructions. Otherwise, you will not be able to put it onto the PTO shaft of the tractor.

I followed the instructions and have to take apart and put the one part onto the PTO. Then have someone else hold the pieces lined up while I back the tractor to get them back together.

Some day, I'll maybe cut 1 inch off both shaft pieces.

/ Awaiting my Woodland Mills WC68 #29  
Lots of good advice about the shaft cutting, certainly. Heed it. Best case if you do it wrong, you ruin a shaft. Worst case, you ruin your tractor, or your life. Measure twice, cut once, measure twice again, and cut again as necessary. Just make sure that shaft isn't too long or too short. It's a pretty fine line.

Lifting the chipper isn't a problem, because the shaft will get longer and at worst, come apart at the slip-joint. If you cut it too long, you'll push your PTO shaft right into the differential housing when you lower the chipper. You should be just able to pull the yoke off the PTO shaft with the chipper lowered so that the shaft at it's at it's straightest angle. I assume you're putting it on the LK-30. I have NO CLUE how big/high that tractor is or how far the PTO shaft is from the 3PH lift points. However, sitting flat on the ground behind my LX2610SU with oversize tires, the centerline of the chipper shaft is still nearly 4 inches higher than my PTO shaft, so I'm not likely to ever have a situation where my driveshaft is perfectly horizontal. I don't think the lift arms will let it lower enough for that. I don't know how much difference there is in the elevations and footprint of the 46, either.

Make sure you cut equal amounts off the inner and outer sleeves of the shaft. That's probably the most important point because cutting one sleeve won't stop the other from bottoming out and creating a BIG problem. I cut the plastic sleeve and steel shafts separately. The sleeve comes off very easily. The instructions that came with it are very good. If you cut the shaft for using the tractor with a Quick Hitch, don't ever use it without the Quick Hitch. A quick hitch adds about 4 inches to the distance of the implement to the PTO shaft. If you cut it without the quick hitch, the shaft may come apart when you lift the chipper to full height. While inconvenient, if you're following the rules, the PTO will be disengaged before you lift the chipper, and NEVER engaged unless the chipper is sitting on the ground. It's a lot more than inconvenient if you separate that shaft with it turning and will likely make a lot of noise and do a lot of damage. Wrap the shaft with something like paper or foam packing sheet while cutting to keep the metal flakes/dust off the shaft, especially the inner shaft. If you have an angle grinder, get a decent cut-off wheel and cut it with that. You'll get a more precise cut. Take time to de-bur the cuts and file them clean so that you don't get excessive wear from sharp corners. A Dremel tool with a sanding drum does this very well. Make sure you put plenty grease on the inner sleeve before reassembling the shaft. If you're not slinging grease off a driveshaft when you first start using it, it's too dry. Use a good axle grease for a shaft, not high pressure grease. Those parts are spinning fast and rubbing. Thick tacky grease may only cause the shaft to fail earlier, especially the needle bearings in the u-joints.

If you've never worked around PTO driven equipment, be safe. Tractor off, key in your pocket, PTO selector in neutral/off, brakes locked. Sorta like getting hit by lightning, you probably won't get a second chance to tell about the first time you didn't follow the rules. Tractors are dangerous. That's what makes them useful.

Thank you both. My snow blower came with its PTO shaft precut when I bought the tractor so although I'm somewhat used to using an attachment with a PTO shaft, it will be the first one that I'll cut one. You both gave good advices