B21 "clunk"/jerk when starting forward or reverse motion

/ B21 "clunk"/jerk when starting forward or reverse motion #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Several times now have experienced a "pop/clunk" and a bit of a "jerk" when starting out and just rolling slowly. Could be my imagination, or being on gravel, but is seems a bit "bumpy" too. It only does it occasionally, not constantly or consistent with any particular motion, but, maybe when turning a bit.

Cannot see any coincident motion in what I can see of the steering mechanism from the seat and, of course, cannot see the drive shaft, as I call it, which is what I suspect/hope it may be. Reasons being, cost aside, the sound is not muffled at all, the "boot" on the shaft was torn for a while before I noticed it, operating in dirt and gravel. When I changed fluid and filters not long ago and it was clean, no metal at all and it was clean.

Once it does that once or twice, I can get on with what I am doing and it seems fine, but, I worry that I am creating a bigger problem by not dealing with it now.

Any advice?

/ B21 "clunk"/jerk when starting forward or reverse motion
Did not notice fluid was low, due to a leaky cylinder I forgot about.

After topping it up, it seems better all around.

/ B21 "clunk"/jerk when starting forward or reverse motion #3  
Check all fasteners securing wheels to machine. Lug nuts but some designs have the wheel center secured to the wheel rim
Dave M7040