B2400HST steering problem.

/ B2400HST steering problem. #1  

Lkraus

After about 75 minutes of use my B2400 intermittently becomes hard to turn left. It might even be harder to turn than if the engine was off. No problems going right and if I turn the wheel 60 degrees to the right after getting the left turn resistance and then try to go left again I have the usual hydraulic assist. It may then operate normally for a couple more left turns or it may not. Does not matter if I'm using 2WD, 4WD, BiSpeed turn, belly mower, rotary mower, FEL, rear blade, hot weather or cold weather. The issue first appeared at about 750 hours, and the tractor now has about 850 hours. My usual operating speed is 2000 rpm, except for field mowing with the rotary mower at 2600 rpm. Engine speed has no effect on the steering problem. All maintenance has been done according to the Kubota schedule, or more often, with Kubota filters and SuperUDT. Engine temperature is normal.

I've been searching for reports of similar problems, but I'm not finding anything. Can anyone suggest what I should be looking at to fix this?

/ B2400HST steering problem. #2  
I'd be guessing but probably the steering valve up under your console at the base of the steering wheel. In some ways it sounds like air in the lines... I assume you have checked hydraulic fluid level ?

/ B2400HST steering problem.
Hydraulic level is correct. New SuperUDT (2?) replaced with filters at 800 hours made no difference. The trouble only happens after an hour or so, which made me wonder about heat causing air bubbles, but I'm not really working it very hard. Usually starts about 10 minutes before I'm done mowing. Are there valves which can stick?

I think if there was air in the lines there would be other signs, but right turns and all the other hydraulics work fine.

Last edited:
   / B2400HST steering problem. #4  
I had a similar problem on my B1700 with about the same hours, only happening on left turns after warming up. It turned out that the steering unit attachment bolts were loose. I didn't figure it out until the stress from the constant flexing on one of the hydraulic lines going to the steering unit caused it to spring a leak and I found the problem when I removed the plastic cover over it all to replace the line. It sounds odd, but that was the whole reason for the left turn difficulty.

Last edited:
   / B2400HST steering problem.
Well, that gave me some hope for an easy fix, but today I found everything around the steering valve is quite solid and tight.

I've been studying the shop manual to get a better understanding of how it all works, but I'm not ready to take anything apart just yet. Unless the problem gets worse, I'll save that for winter when I can have it apart long enough to take my time and deal with possible supply shortages.

I wish the problem was more consistent, or at least showed up quicker. I can't account for the hour or so delay.