Comparison B2601 vs. LX2610

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #1  

ds10

Tractor
Kubota LX2610
I'm working with my dealer on pricing both the B2601 and LX2610 (ROPS, not cab). Initial purchase will be loader/bucket, grapple, pallet forks. Maybe a flail mower or LaneShark or both. Trading in my BX1860 (MMM, loader). We moved from a 2 acre property in Massachusetts where I mowed the grass with the BX and did various stuff with the FEL, to a 16+ acre property in New Hampshire where the BX is just way too small for the jobs we need to do. We're not mowing the grass here (friend comes and does a great job at a great price for that).

We are doing a lot of brush clearing, low limb removal from the trees, and ground leveling and such around the 12+ acres of hay field. The fields have been somewhat neglected, so there are saplings around the edges and some in the fields. We've cleared a perimeter path around the field edges for walking. I want to be able to mow the hay fields if the farmer who comes and hays doesn't come (drought this year means not a lot of useful hay), and be able to fertilize. In general I'm trying to revitalize the fields. I'm not intending to hay the fields myself (not sure any equipment is small enough for the LX to do that anyway).

The B2601 appears to be big enough, but the LX2610 has a bit more capability. Any thoughts on comparison aside from the dollars?

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #2  
We moved from a 2 acre property in Massachusetts to a 16+ acre property in New Hampshire where the BX is too light for the jobs we need to do.

We are doing a lot of brush clearing, low limb removal from the trees, and ground leveling and such around the 12+ acres of hay field. The fields have been somewhat neglected, so there are saplings around the edges and some in the fields. We've cleared a perimeter path around the field edges for walking. I'm trying to revitalize the fields. I'm not intending to hay the fields myself.

Calculate how much time you are willing to spend mowing your field: Mowing Calcuator | How many acres can I mow in an hour

I hate mowing.

BX bare tractor weight is 1,400 pounds.
B2601 bare tractor weight is 1,550 pounds.
LX2610 bare tractor weight is 1,800 pounds.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in residential or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.

None of these can power a 60" medium duty Rotary Cutter weighing 650 pounds, suitable for cutting 1" saplings. None have the weight to move tough NH dirt effeciently and safely.

It takes an increase in bare tractor weight of 50% before you notice a significant increase in tractor capability. I council at least doubling tractor weight when desiring more tractor capability. You need more than double for 12 acres of tough soil, especially if you have to deal with uneven ground and/or slopes.

I recommend a 3,700 pound to 4,100 pound bare weight tractor with at least 45 horsepower, which can power a 72" medium duty Rotary Cutter weighing 650 pounds, suitable for cutting 1" saplings or a 72" heavy duty Roarty Cutter weighing 1,000 pounds suitable for cutting saplings to 2" in diameter without tearing up the implement.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is worse than depreciation on a tractor.

When considering a tractor purchase, bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Kubota MX for you.

VIDEO: So you want to TRADE UP for a new Tractor? - TMT - YouTube

T-B-N ARCHIVE: Tractor for 15 acres site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR​

Last edited:
   / B2601 vs. LX2610 #3  
I'm working with my dealer on pricing both the B2601 and LX2610 (ROPS, not cab). Initial purchase will be loader/bucket, grapple, pallet forks. Maybe a flail mower or LaneShark or both. Trading in my BX1860 (MMM, loader). We moved from a 2 acre property in Massachusetts where I mowed the grass with the BX and did various stuff with the FEL, to a 16+ acre property in New Hampshire where the BX is just way too small for the jobs we need to do. We're not mowing the grass here (friend comes and does a great job at a great price for that).

We are doing a lot of brush clearing, low limb removal from the trees, and ground leveling and such around the 12+ acres of hay field. The fields have been somewhat neglected, so there are saplings around the edges and some in the fields. We've cleared a perimeter path around the field edges for walking. I want to be able to mow the hay fields if the farmer who comes and hays doesn't come (drought this year means not a lot of useful hay), and be able to fertilize. In general I'm trying to revitalize the fields. I'm not intending to hay the fields myself (not sure any equipment is small enough for the LX to do that anyway).

The B2601 appears to be big enough, but the LX2610 has a bit more capability. Any thoughts on comparison aside from the dollars?

Theh LX has position control whereas the 2601 does not.

This is a show stopper for me.

SDT

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #4  
Theh LX has position control whereas the 2601 does not.

This is a show stopper for me.

SDT
Actually the B2601 does has position control.

Its predecessor, the B2620 didn't though.

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #5  
Actually the B2601 does has position control.

Its predecessor, the B2620 didn't though.

Interesting.

The Kubota 2020 Full Line Brochure, Rev 11/19, clearly states that the B2301/2401/2601 tractors are equipped with a quarter inching valve (page 6).

Alternatively, the B2301/2601 brochure, dated Sep 14, clearly states that both have position control.

I referenced only the full line brochure prior to posting above.

SDT

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #6  
I can say in person they are position control, I haven't seen the full line catalog, but I'm guessing its a typo. The BX line is the only models I know that don't have position control (not sure about the B2401, haven't been able to find enough info on it yet)

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #7  
I can say in person they are position control, I haven't seen the full line catalog, but I'm guessing its a typo. The BX line is the only models I know that don't have position control (not sure about the B2401, haven't been able to find enough info on it yet)

It appears to be a mistake but it is not a typo.

B2401 does not have position control.

SDT

/ B2601 vs. LX2610
Calculate how much time you are willing to spend mowing your field: Mowing Calcuator | How many acres can I mow in an hour

I hate mowing.

BX bare tractor weight is 1,400 pounds.
B2601 bare tractor weight is 1,550 pounds.
LX2610 bare tractor weight is 1,800 pounds.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in residential or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.

None of these can power a 60" medium duty Rotary Cutter weighing 650 pounds, suitable for cutting 1" saplings. None have the weight to move tough NH dirt effeciently and safely.

It takes an increase in bare tractor weight of 50% before you notice a significant increase in tractor capability. I council at least doubling tractor weight when desiring more tractor capability. You need more than double for 12 acres of tough soil, especially if you have to deal with uneven ground and/or slopes.

I recommend a 3,700 pound to 4,100 pound bare weight tractor with at least 45 horsepower, which can power a 72" medium duty Rotary Cutter weighing 650 pounds, suitable for cutting 1" saplings or a 72" heavy duty Roarty Cutter weighing 1,000 pounds suitable for cutting saplings to 2" in diameter without tearing up the implement.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is worse than depreciation on a tractor.

When considering a tractor purchase, bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Kubota MX for you.

VIDEO: So you want to TRADE UP for a new Tractor? - TMT - YouTube

T-B-N ARCHIVE: Tractor for 15 acres site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR​

Thanks for the detailed response. I should clarify a point. We are not intending to plow the fields, nor are we looking to hay them with the new tractor. We would cut the hay fields down closer to the ground once a year, and expect that’d take a while.

Around the perimeter of the fields, we are cutting saplings today by hand and cutting protruding tree limbs by hand. We expect to continue much of that by hand, possibly with the addition of a LaneShark to help with that. A flail mower with hammers is also an option for that.

The BX we have has worked for the perimeter work, and for some other tasks on this property, but clearly is overmatched in a number of ways. We have ahead many cases where we need forks, for example, and the BXPanded clip-on forks attached to the bucket just are unable to do the job.

So I do appreciate the concern that even an LX would be undersized, but for our needs, it is as large as we foresee needing, and as large as we can go at this time.

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #9  
honestly for what you plan on doing i would skip over the LX and go to an L. the standard l2501 is a physically larger and heavier machine then the LX. you lose the mid pto, making the price of the l2501 around the same, if not cheaper then the LX2610. the loaders are the same, but the L does have a little more lift capacity. i recently got a b2601 and find it a perfect size for my application (moving a lot of wood on a small property) but if i had 16 acres i would have gone with an L over the LX just due to the attractive price

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #10  
honestly for what you plan on doing i would skip over the LX and go to an L. the standard l2501 is a physically larger and heavier machine then the LX. you lose the mid pto, making the price of the l2501 around the same, if not cheaper then the LX2610. the loaders are the same, but the L does have a little more lift capacity. i recently got a b2601 and find it a perfect size for my application (moving a lot of wood on a small property) but if i had 16 acres i would have gone with an L over the LX just due to the attractive price
Go sit on them both and test drive them (if your dealer actually has both in stock!). The L is a pretty good deal for larger property but isn't as refined as the LX since the L of an economy model.

From what you've said the LX should do well for you and between the B2601 and the LX I'd go for the LX. If you're comfortable with the L2501 and its within your budget it might be a better bet considering how much land you have.

Also the L can handle a medium duty 60" bush hog, it would be pushing it on an LX