Comparison B2601 vs. LX2610

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #11  
Satisfied owner of a LX2610 here. I previously had a tractor the size of a B2601 and never felt safe on it. They are only 49 inches wide and feel unsafe on just a slight incline. The LX is 4.7 inches wider. Have used 4 and 5 foot bush hogs and due to tractor size and weight the 4 is much better. Forget about 60 inch fail mowers on a 20 PTO HP tractor. Tried it on 2 different tractors and more HP is needed. I also have a larger 43 HP Kubota but use the smaller LX most of the time. Double the weight and HP of a tractor and double the fuel use. If a flail is wanted get a 30 HP tractor.

At our other farm I keep a Ford the size of a L2501. It's higher weight and slightly bigger size make a 5 foot bush hog acceptable. I'd get a small L tractor because of much heavier loader build and 700 pounds additional weight. Compare the L series loader build and the LX and there is a huge difference in structure even though weight lifted is close. I bought the lighter LX because it's used mainly for landscape maintenance. Since retirement we rent our farm out and don't farm either.

As for flails - some people love them. The non-commercial class of flail machines don't compare to the durability and cost of good rotary cutters. Seen many of the flails with bent rotors sitting in weeds.

Last edited:
   / B2601 vs. LX2610 #12  
The LX2610 and tractors of similar power and weight are fully capable of running and handling a 5 foot rotary cutter. At my previous job we sold dozens of New Holland TC29's and TC33's with 5 foot Bush Hog cutters. As this is written we are prepping an LX2610 fitted with a Landpride RCK1272 (6' cut) which the customer specified. Not my first choice, but I am not writing the check.

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #13  
A TC29 out weighs an LX2610 by 800 pounds and they are not similar size and weight. An LX2610 can handle a 5 foot cutter on flat land but ease of handling is much better with a heavier tractor. Also the lighter series 5' cutters are better handling for this tractor weight. I'm mowing trails and uneven ground and an LX lacks the weight for a heavy duty 5' cutter. Even Kubota recommends a 4' rotary cutter in the manual.

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #14  
An RCR1260 or Bush Hog Squealer aren't classed as heavy duty cutters. Horsepower, track width and front ballast are the three most important tractor criteria. Overall tractor weight is not terribly important until you get on steep hills.

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #15  
Satisfied owner of a LX2610 here. I previously had a tractor the size of a B2601 and never felt safe on it. They are only 49 inches wide and feel unsafe on just a slight incline. The LX is 4.7 inches wider. Have used 4 and 5 foot bush hogs and due to tractor size and weight the 4 is much better.

48" Rotary Cutter moving at 4 mph = 1.75 acres cut per hour. Ugh!

Seven hours to mow 14 acres, assuming "0" break time.

Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped or uneven flat ground. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. Rear axle is the tractor component on which rear wheels/tires mount. A 6" to 8" wider rear axle substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is an approximation of rear axle width.

I have owned three tractors. The first a 1,900 pound subcompact "learner" without a Loader. The second a 2,200 pound tractor-loader package. The third, my 3,500 pound Kubota L3560, is tractor nirvana in my north Florida conditions. Had I early read a thread philosophizing on tractor weight it would have stimulated tractor weight research and I would have omitted purchase of tractor #2, which proved too light for my applications.

Last edited:
   / B2601 vs. LX2610 #16  
If your cutting big acreage you don't purchase a B or LX size tractor. For deer plots, trails, fence rows, landscape maintenance it's a great lighter weight tractor. We have a lot of soft areas and lighter weight equals getting out more and minimal rutting. Plus you can haul it highway speeds with a car hauler and 1\2 ton pickup.

For the OP I'd be looking at smaller L series at the same cost.

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #17  
An RCR1260 or Bush Hog Squealer aren't classed as heavy duty cutters. Horsepower, track width and front ballast are the three most important tractor criteria. Overall tractor weight is not terribly important until you get on steep hills.

It's a frame size (wheel length and width) and weight issue and enough PTO HP for the material being cut. In level and mostly smooth land the LX is acceptable with a 5' rotary cutter. The B2601 is too narrow to be safe. Go on rougher land and the large mower is like a rudder steering the tractor. Going to a 5' cutter puts the weight and tail wheel another 12 inches back. It's more difficult for a rudder to steer 2,600 pounds vs 1,800.

The LX does a great job with a 5' finish mower but it's 3 blade, short and on smooth land.

For HD rotary cutters I'm referencing ones 150 pounds or more than the 2 you listed.

Last edited:
   / B2601 vs. LX2610
Thanks, all. The LX2610 is what I will likely get. It'll be a good step up from the BX1860, and still of a manageable size for the property and what we need it to do.

/ B2601 vs. LX2610 #19  
It's a frame size (wheel length and width) and weight issue and enough PTO HP for the material being cut. In level and mostly smooth land the LX is acceptable with a 5' rotary cutter. The B2601 is too narrow to be safe. Go on rougher land and the large mower is like a rudder steering the tractor. Going to a 5' cutter puts the weight and tail wheel another 12 inches back. It's more difficult for a rudder to steer 2,600 pounds vs 1,800.

The LX does a great job with a 5' finish mower but it's 3 blade, short and on smooth land.

For HD rotary cutters I'm referencing ones 150 pounds or more than the 2 you listed.

Bingo.

Kubota recommends nothing larger than a 48" rough cut rotary mower for the B2650/LX2610 and the B3350/LX3310.

The HP is there with the 3350/3310 but the frame size and weight is not, nor is the three point structure designed for it.

SDT

/ B2601 vs. LX2610
Bingo.

Kubota recommends nothing larger than a 48" rough cut rotary mower for the B2650/LX2610 and the B3350/LX3310.

The HP is there with the 3350/3310 but the frame size and weight is not, nor is the three point structure designed for it.

SDT

I am looking at a flail mower rather than a rotary cutter. The flail is attractive for a number of reasons. One of them is having a lot less length behind the tractor. I’m curious if the width concerns apply the same with a flail. Considering the Del Morino smaller units.

Last edited: