B2601hsd for small horse farm?

/ B2601hsd for small horse farm? #1  

SandbarFarm

Tractor
None yet
Looking at buying one of these as it seems small enough to be maneuverable for cleaning run-ins and has the mid-pto so it can be used as a mower on our roughly 17 acres of pasture. I’d also like to use it for plowing snow (or snow blowing?) and road/driveway repair and maintenance. Other uses would be fence post digging in hard, rocky soil and moving and loading 800 pound round bales. Can this machine really do all of this?

/ B2601hsd for small horse farm? #2  
Looking at buying one of these as it seems small enough to be maneuverable for cleaning run-ins and has the mid-pto so it can be used as a mower on our roughly 17 acres of pasture. I’d also like to use it for plowing snow (or snow blowing?) and road/driveway repair and maintenance. Other uses would be fence post digging in hard, rocky soil and moving and loading 800 pound round bales. Can this machine really do all of this?

It’s a very capable machine. Round bales may be a little much. You may want to look at the lx or l series for the additional lift capacity and use a brush hog on your pasture it’s more designed for the abuse that the horses will put it through

/ B2601hsd for small horse farm? #3  
Two problems with what you outlined in your question. One is the it capacity of the FEL is only 948 pounds at the pins. Therefore the shape of a 800 pound bale (center of gravity pushed out in front of the pins 2-3 feet) plus the weight of the quick attach and the hay fork would not be ideal. The tractor may do it but it will be pushed to the limits.

Second the mid mount mower is a finish mower not a pasture mower and it will quickly wear used on the pasture. Plus the small tires will be provide a very rough ride on 17 acres. You will need a bush hog unless you plan on mowing the pastures weekly.

I would look at least a L2501. The 1131 pound lifting capacity and larger tires will be a big plus.

A L2501 HST with R14 tires, load the rear tires and a weight box or a rear implement for a counter weight.

/ B2601hsd for small horse farm? #4  
There is no way you are moving an 800lb round bale safely with that machine. You will only mow 17 acres 1 time with a MMM before you decide to just raze the field instead.

If you want economical open station look at the L series Kubota (or other brands of your choosing). I still dont think the LX is big enough.

How hilly is the pasture?

/ B2601hsd for small horse farm?
There is no way you are moving an 800lb round bale safely with that machine. You will only mow 17 acres 1 time with a MMM before you decide to just raze the field instead.

If you want economical open station look at the L series Kubota (or other brands of your choosing). I still dont think the LX is big enough.

How hilly is the pasture?
The pasture has some gentle hills. We currently mow them with a commercial gravely zero turn mower with no issues, if that’s helpful. It would just be nice to be able for two of us to cut at the same time when time allows. Most of our round bales are around 500 pounds, but occasionally we get some that are slightly bigger, so I guessed 800. Sounds like my dream of something that can do it all is really just that?

/ B2601hsd for small horse farm? #6  
With a lift capacity of 660 pounds at 19 inches from the pin, I think 800 pound round bales may be a little to much to handle at all and a lot to much to handle safely. I have been using a Ford 1715 with 800 pound squares and with 400 pounds on the 3 point and loaded tires it can move and stack them, but this is it's uppermost limit and the Ford is a heavier tractor.
I don't know what kind of property you have so I will give you my experience with a slightly larger tractor. If your property is cross fenced and relatively flat, mowing 5 or less acres at a time might get tedious, but doable with a 60" or wider mower, a canopy in the hot summers will be a good idea providing you can still get your tractor into storage with it on. In the Kubota line for what you have stated, I would look at the L2501. The loader will safely lift the bales you mentioned with a capacity of 1182 at 19" and the tractor is a heavier and safer machine. The bucket will likely be 60" though.

/ B2601hsd for small horse farm? #7  
The pasture has some gentle hills. We currently mow them with a commercial gravely zero turn mower with no issues, if that’s helpful. It would just be nice to be able for two of us to cut at the same time when time allows. Most of our round bales are around 500 pounds, but occasionally we get some that are slightly bigger, so I guessed 800. Sounds like my dream of something that can do it all is really just that?
For safety the larger tractor is your best choice. Nothing would be worse unloading your truck or trailer, backing up with a bale on the loader and having it the tractor flop on it's side because of too much weight and not enough ballast. The L series with a 3 point finish mower might be the way you should go.

/ B2601hsd for small horse farm?
Thoughts on the LX2610hsd which seems to have the lift and the mid-mower option?
7A13349C-1082-4E1A-98DA-FF3557EFBC93.png

/ B2601hsd for small horse farm? #9  
Thoughts on the LX2610hsd which seems to have the lift and the mid-mower option? View attachment 734781
It will lift 770 pounds at 19 inches but you will want additional ballast on the three point to handle round bales. If you store your winter's supply like we do, you can put the heavier bales on the bottom. I think it would be a good compromise with the caveat that you get a substantial ballast for the three point hitch and loaded tires. With heavy bales you will be operating the tractor at or slightly over its designed limits.

/ B2601hsd for small horse farm? #10  
That helps. ZT is they best way to mow non-bumpy grass, so if you already have one adding a MMM for a tractor would just make it faster.

I would still be careful with the round bales on the front. You could get a 3 PT bale spear and use that, but you cant lift them very far.