B2650 tire pressure for mowing

/ B2650 tire pressure for mowing #1  

VTDonn

Tractor
Kubota B2650
I'm considering getting away from my Husky 52" ZT and putting a 60" MMM on my B2650. I don't have a huge area to mow, and in fact much of it is better served by a zero turn because of all the obstacles. But it is too hilly for a ZT, and probably too hilly for a 2wd riding mower. In a perfect world I'd just get a BX that is dedicated to mowing, but unless those scratch tickets start paying off, that just isn't in the cards. I have the option of getting a lightly used deck for about $1,400, and I'd be able to sell my ZT for quite a bit more than that.

I hear a lot about turf compaction when mowing with a tractor of this size. I'm never driving on road, and have considered running lower tire pressure in my (loaded turf) rear tires for general traction and comfort, even regardless of the mower consideration. They just seem very firm right now, and I'm not sure what the benefit of that is. Here is my question: how low would people consider running their rear tire pressure? What would be the downsides?

/ B2650 tire pressure for mowing #2  
Perhaps keep most of that $1400 in your pocket and buy some better tires for the Husky. ;) Get rid of the golf kart tires and get some aggressive treaded boots. The tires on my new Bad Boy have wicked traction at 7psi. The mower nearly climbed a tree when I got to close--Even with ROPS folded down. o_O I mow the ditch along the road in front and the mower just laughs the whole time. (My big cutting tractor is still in pieces for a refresh.)

Here's what the tires on my Maverick look like.

2021_Maverick.png

Last edited:
   / B2650 tire pressure for mowing #3  
I think you’d be happier mowing with the ZT.

I have a 60” Front deck Grasshopper and I have trouble with hills too. I have figured out a pattern to come down the hill and go up the less-sloped areas.

My yard is 2 acres with irrigation.

If you could “try out” the belly mower before you bought it, that would be great.

Other wise, 17# in the rear (loaded), and 29 in the front should soften the ride a bit, but not sure you will feel it mowing.

/ B2650 tire pressure for mowing #4  
Been mowing my yard for years with the B2650 and a 60" mmm no issues, tires are R4

/ B2650 tire pressure for mowing #5  
I don't like ZTRs they cut sloppy, they gouge up turf when turning, and leave rings around things when going around them from the tires.

Yes, they do cut fast, but do a sloppy job at it.

When I used to work for a company that did lawn care, they told us to go fast because then it avoids the customer having us "skip" a week. Cause the grass would get laid over instead of cut. Along with rushing to get a zillion lawns done in a day. All about $$. Learned a lot of skeevy tricks in that business, including getting out of blowing out windows and damage.

/ B2650 tire pressure for mowing #6  
But it is too hilly for a ZT, and probably too hilly for a 2wd riding mower.
B2650 top heavier than other 2 models you mention little something else when mowing slopes/hill.

/ B2650 tire pressure for mowing
Perhaps keep most of that $1400 in your pocket and buy some better tires for the Husky. ;) Get rid of the golf kart tires and get some aggressive treaded boots. The tires on my new Bad Boy have wicked traction at 7psi. The mower nearly climbed a tree when I got to close--Even with ROPS folded down. o_O I mow the ditch along the road in front and the mower just laughs the whole time. (My big cutting tractor is still in pieces for a refresh.)

Here's what the tires on my Maverick look like.
Hmmmm. Hadn't thought of that. What is the make/model of those tires? I can't find anything like that using Google.

/ B2650 tire pressure for mowing
I think you’d be happier mowing with the ZT.

I have a 60” Front deck Grasshopper and I have trouble with hills too. I have figured out a pattern to come down the hill and go up the less-sloped areas.

My yard is 2 acres with irrigation.

If you could “try out” the belly mower before you bought it, that would be great.

Other wise, 17# in the rear (loaded), and 29 in the front should soften the ride a bit, but not sure you will feel it mowing.

I'm not thinking so much about "feeling" it, if you mean comfort-wise. I was just thinking that a lower tire pressure would do less damage to the lawn? I'll see how 17/29 handles.

Anyways, yeah the downhill stuff is hard because when mowing downhill I have essentially zero control. Hey- maybe that's why they call it zero turn! :) And many of my slopes have obstacles, so I basically need to do laps driving down the driveway and then mowing uphill on the lawn because uphill I have good steering. While the B2650 sometimes feels top heavy, I've taken it far beyond what I would've thought was appropriate doing dirt/woods work, and it has surprised me with it's stability.

I think the money isn't a huge risk. I will probably just buy it and see how it goes and hang onto the ZT until I'm sure it'll be okay. And if not I'll just throw it back on craigslist and probably not take much of a loss. Thanks all.

/ B2650 tire pressure for mowing #9  
Hmmmm. Hadn't thought of that. What is the make/model of those tires? I can't find anything like that using Google.
Well, I had to go out and look. All I see for a name on the tires is Bad Boy. So I guess they had those made for the mower. The mat on the foot rest area matches the tire tread design. I looked too and many places claim to have the tires but none match the three-leaf tread pattern. There are many with just as aggressive design. I guess you'd have to go through a Bad Boy dealer to get the 2021 Maverick tires.