B2910 vs L3010

/ B2910 vs L3010 #1  

tjb

I'm looking at a FEL on either a B2910 or an L3010 (HST Tractor, FEL, ROPS, Rear Blade, Balast Box, Loaded R4s). I think that for most of what I do, the 2910 would be fine but am woried that that once I start using it, I'll want the bigger machine. The 3010 has more lifting capacity, etc and weighs alot more but the 2910 has a smaller footprint and could get into spots that the 3010 may not. I've got a 6 acre lot with only about 1.5 acres clear. I plan to clear some more of the lot and I have many large rocks to move. I also have a 300' driveway to plow, grade, and maintain along with various landscaping jobs. When I was at a dealer yesterday, he showed me a rock he moved with the 2710 and I was amazed. Of course, he knows what he's doing and he only moved it 50' or so. I've never owned a tractor and so the same type of operation would probably take me days if I had to roll it. I'm thinking that the L3010's power/weight could make up for my lack of experience initially and then be even more useful later on.

tjb

/ B2910 vs L3010 #2  
The L3010 is a very large tractor compared to b2910

/ B2910 vs L3010 #3  
my vote goes to the 2910 from what you said in the post. I would own one if I could have waited. the 2710 is a workhorse for ts size. awsome machines

/ B2910 vs L3010 #4  
TJB,

Just my two cents. It doesn't sound like you plan on mowing with the new tractor so I would go with the 3010. The extra wieght, width and lift would help with the rocks and clearing you have planned. I do think the 2910 will do the job but slower.

/ B2910 vs L3010 #5  
I just got rid of my B2910 for the L3010. The 3010 is a much larger and heavier tractor and there is a world of difference. I initially liked the B2910 because of the size, I was used to it coming from a B2150. I think the 2910 is a GREAT tractor except I was having some of the steering problems (losing a little boost) and was not comfortable on it (I'm tall). The 2910 has more features like all the controls on the fenders (I found to dislike them because it hampered getting on and off the machine and I would catch my shorts on the levers and just about rip them off my body, /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif but they are nice when operating). It's a cleaner and more up to date looking tractor than the L's too.

My problem? I have 10 acres and take care of another 30 and after 21 hours on the 2910 I knew I wasn't going to like living with it for the next 10 years. The steering problem really disgusted me after bush hogging for an hour of so. Dealer couldn't fix it. I was more fatigued than I was on the 2150 (which was a little heavier), and I bounced around more on the lighter tractor. I found myself bogging down and having to slow down more than I thought I would when hogging.

I talked to the mechanics at the dealership when I went to pick up my B and asked them what they thought about the L's and when they were saying that everything is beefier and heavier and showed me differences I was sold. Look at the axles, tranny, pumps, cooling and everything. They didn't even know I was looking to trade. One mechanic has a 3010 on his farm for cutting and stuff and loves it. And this is a guys with BIG equipment for farming. They said they don't get the L's back for service and have never had a 3010 in yet. They get a few B's and a lot of BX's.

Now, remember the L is large. That scared me at first but I do have room to manuver. It has a great turning radius and you can always take the loader off for finish mowing if you don't have enough room. Took me 5 minutes to do when I practiced last night. I can leave it on for finish cutting but I don't know what I'll end up doing. I could always leave the loader on my B's though. Never even thought about taking then off.

I am much more comfortable with the legroom and seating on the L. And bushhogging in the wet with the loader last night that thing plowed through better than the B even though they are similar in specs for power. 3010 just has 2 more horses than the 2910 but I can feel it.

I just feel better on the L, but I have the room and enough uses for the tractor to justify it and now can get a 6 ft hog instead of 5 foot. I feel better with the sturdier components too.

Think about towing too...Do you have enough to tow and is that an issue? I tow to different places but have a 1 ton diesel truck and 12,000 lb GVWR trailer so the L is not a problem. If you have the dealer drop your new tractor off and it will stay there then that's not an issue.

I am happy Kubota took my 2910 back for what I paid for it and I shelled out 1600 bucks difference for the L. In fact they suggested I would be happier on the L after some of my complaints.

This is just my story though, I was happpy with my B2150 for 5 years and 770 hours but always wished I had something bigger at times.

Now my ideal whould be to have the L and get a neat little X-Mark or Laser ZTR mower to zip around the yard! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Good luck, the 2910 is a great tractor like I said and will provide years of service so you can't go wrong with either and you just have to think about your situation. Sorry to ramble but you asked something that I just dealt with so I thought you might want to hear my thoughts.

/ B2910 vs L3010
What is the "steering problem"? I haven't heard of any widespread problems with any of the Kubotas, one reason why I stopped looking at the John Deere 4000 series.

Towing is not something I'll be doing on a regular basis (at this point). I have a Toyota T100 and I don't know if it could handle towing it or not. I would have to rent a trailer from U-Haul to do it.

Thanks for the input.

/ B2910 vs L3010 #7  
I don't mean to say there is a widespread steering problem because there's not. Just a few of us have experienced a lag or a slight loss of boost after mowing for a while. Very intermittent and really does not affect the tractor at all, just an annoyance to me. See the thread re: 2710 steering problems under Kubota owning. Chances are very great that a B that you would buy would not be affected or you would never notice it. And yes, WAY too many problems with JD 4000's, I considered them and almost bought but got scared, I know some owners personally and there was something wrong with the two I drove at the dealership. Got scared when the manager said three times "We'll fix that before you pick it up" on just one tractor.

/ B2910 vs L3010 #8  
tjb, I've just been reading the messages instead of chiming in, and of course the right tractor is the one you like best. But I'll throw my two cents worth in by repeating what I've said many times. Lots of folks trade up in size; seldom does anyone trade down. Buy the biggest thing you can afford and have room to maneuver.

Bird

/ B2910 vs L3010 #9  
TJB/BSAUTER,I also owned a B2150,great little tractor.I sold it and bought a B2710 in August of 99'.This tractor is physically identical to the B2910.My wife and I are currently finish mowing at least 10 acres every week,I'm seriously considering selling the 2710 and buying a L3010/L3410 to pull an 11 ft.Tri-Deck finish mower,trying to cut our mowing time down.Don't get me wrong the B2710/B2910 are super compacts,but I spun a L3010 around our dealers parking lot,and it seems to a jewel also.This one had Super-Turf tires on it,first thing I did was lock in the 4-wheel drive and turn as sharp as I could,NO scuffing.The seat was very comfortable,and the tractor seemed to be very light on it's feet,plus other features I really liked.Bird is right when he says,hardly anyone ever trades down,buy the most tractor you afford,and if money is no option,then buy what you want.Best of luck,you can't go wrong with a Kubota product.Also BSAUTER,Kubota is going to release a Zero-Turn mower this fall or next spring.Might be worth looking into.

/ B2910 vs L3010
After reviewing the L series brochure and talking to my dealer, I've decided to go totally nuts and get the L3710HST, LA681 FEL, loaded R4s, and foldable ROPS. It's probably more tractor than I'll ever need but I wanted to be safe. The price was $2000 more than the L3010 but I'm getting 7 more HP and quite a bit more lifting capacity. I'm also getting a heavy duty 7' rear blade. Now I just have to wait for my dealer to find me one.