B2920 won’t start

/ B2920 won’t start
Update. Got meter and all switches are ok. Still will not start. Was able to jump the starter and get it going so I could at least get the belly mower off to better access the switches.

Not sure what to do next. Take dash off and look under there?

I guess will need to take the steering wheel off to do that.

/ B2920 won’t start #33  
Re: B2920 won稚 start

When you jump the starter to get the tractor to start, are you actually applying voltage to the starter solenoid? If so this indicates the solenoid is OK. If not do the following.(you could be applying voltage to the starter motor itself, essentially bypassing the starter solenoid. My guess is this is what you have been doing.).

Put your meter on the starter solenoid terminal that the key circuit applies voltage to. This will be a smaller wire. See if you have voltage when you turn the key. If not you have a problem in the circuit which the key switch is part of.

Apply voltage to the small wire terminal of the solenoid, the one the key switch circuit will energize if working properly. If the starter does not turn you have a solenoid problem. This just verifies that the solenoid is OK, after you find that it is not receiving the voltage from the key circuit.

If the solenoid does not energize when you apply voltage to the small control wire, there is still the possibility the ground connection between the solenoid and the frame or engine is corroded/bad.

Just a couple thoughts to maybe help you through this. Do not give up. It is a relatively simple circuit. You CAN solve the problem!

Bill

Put your meter on the

/ B2920 won’t start #34  
Update. Got meter and all switches are ok. Still will not start. Was able to jump the starter and get it going so I could at least get the belly mower off to better access the switches.

Not sure what to do next. Take dash off and look under there?

I guess will need to take the steering wheel off to do that.
is the starter relay clicking, if it is, then it's defective if it's not supplying power to the starter solenoid. find out where the voltage is not present before you start taking the dash apart..

/ B2920 won’t start
It clicks when turning to on, but no click when I turn to start.

Jumped it by connecting the positive terminal on the starter to the adjacent wire with a screwdriver. Did not apply voltage to start it.

/ B2920 won’t start #36  

The note below: This is exactly how mine operated both before the ignition change and after. The click is when you hit RUN, and then the START would simply turn it over... Just a quick note that I think that's OK. RUN position on the wiring print shows where that goes. And... when you go to START, there are 3 contacts that must all connect internally. I would follow the advice on the Starter/Solenoid test, and then test the ignition switch ... not much else left

Ohhh, did you check for an inline Starter fuse? you may have noted ealier. but just a idle thought.

It clicks when turning to on, but no click when I turn to start.

Jumped it by connecting the positive terminal on the starter to the adjacent wire with a screwdriver. Did not apply voltage to start it.

/ B2920 won’t start
Pretty sure the solenoid is ok. To test the ignition switch I need to remove the dash?

/ B2920 won’t start #38  

now that you have a meter we can guide you on how to troubleshoot to find the problem.

Using this schematic. I HOPE THIS IS THE CORRECT SCHEMATIC, it is the one posted earlier

B29xx_StartingInhibitors.jpg

set you meter to the lowest voltage setting above 12

use a jumper to connect the negative lead to a good ground

turn ignition switch to the on position

test to see if you have voltage at the starter solenoid (the terminal where the wire connects after the last safety switch= BW wire)

IF you DO NOT have your 12 volts there

test voltage AFTER each safety switch the one that does not have 12 volts after it is the problem

IF you DO have voltage at the starter solenoid (same terminal as tested before BW wire)

put a jumper to the positive lead and the starter solenoid (BW wire from switch) this will free your hand up by not having to hold any leads

then turn key to start

does meter read 12 volts

IF YES then you have a bad solenoid

IF NO then you have a problem with the switch

could be bad connection, broken wire or switch

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU COME UP WITH

Last edited:
   / B2920 won’t start #39  
Mine had a plug on the harness w/ a few inches of slack behind the ignition. I had to pull 2 bolts for the cowling to slip off. There was enough slack and I could test there. Not sure but unless you can get in there and see the plug connection, probably so.

/ B2920 won’t start
Thanks. Ran this by the guy that was helping me with this. He is very experienced with tractors and cars etc. We spent some time on it today. He thinks we ruled out the solenoid. Have to look at ignition switch. I don’t think I can get to it unless dash is removed which involves removal of steering wheel. Will I need a wheel puller?

Thanks to all of you who have helped me with this. It’s very frustrating but I’ve learned a lot.