Buying Advice B3200 Vibration Issue--Affected Serial Numbers

/ B3200 Vibration Issue--Affected Serial Numbers #1  

jwrambo

Had my heart set on a B3200. Started reading about the Vibration issue. Local dealers have not mentioned anything about it of course. Spoke with Barlow's this morning, and I asked them about it. Said there had been some modifications to the chassis to combat this issue. Does anyone know how to tell which units have been modified? Is there a service bulletin? Is there a serial number range that can identify the modified units? Please help! :confused:

/ B3200 Vibration Issue--Affected Serial Numbers #2  
I don't know the answer to your question. But just the fact that Barlows referred to it as a modification to "combat the issue", would tell me it is more of a band aid than a cure.

If you are going to use the machine primarily for dirt moving with the FEL and or a box blade, it probably won't be that noticable because you can do that at a lower RPM. If you are going to be mowing quite a bit, that is when it going to be more aparant. Go test a B3200 and drive it around at or near the PTO speed, 2800 RPM. Then get on a B2x20 or L3200 or L3800, all with 3 cyl engines and you will likely see the difference. Then decide if the vibration is going to be an issue for you or not.

When my wife and I test drove a BX2350, a B2920, and a B7800 (earlier version of the B3200) we both noticed the vibration in the B7800, even though we knew nothing about tractors. For various reasons, not vibration alone, we opted for the smaller B. I can say though after mowing 6 hours last Saturday, I got off of it with nothing numb or shaking more than it was before I started.

Last edited:
   / B3200 Vibration Issue--Affected Serial Numbers #3  
Use the search function and read up on the 3200. I'm not going to claim there is no vibration issue at all, but it seemed to me it was limited to a handful of complaints. There are alot of very satisfied 3200 owners on the forum, so I don't think I'd lose alot of sleep worrying about it. There have also been a couple complaints about vibration on B3030s also, and I couldn't possibly be any happier with mine.

/ B3200 Vibration Issue--Affected Serial Numbers #4  
The fix is really a joke. All that comes in the kit is a handful of rubber platform isolators. I checked with mine and it has the isolators so I have some spares now.
Don't know if some came without but mine has them and it is an '09.:confused2:

/ B3200 Vibration Issue--Affected Serial Numbers
Update. Test drove at dealer, and there was a significant what I would describe as a high frequency vibration. I know that is not a real term, but I do not know how else to describe it. Kind of like the vibration you get from a weedeater. Dealer called tech rep. He, of course, was familiar with the issue. They are replacing the operator platform with an updated heavier unit, and a thicker rubber pad. Dealer was great, Franklin Kubota, and if I am not satisfied when they put the parts on, I do not have to do the deal. I hope it works, as I feel this tractor will handle all of my needs and more. Besides, I think I got a great deal, 16,100 for the B3200, FEL, and Rim Guard. Best deal I could find, and it is my closest dealer, who also turned out to be really nice guys! Keeping my fingers crossed.

/ B3200 Vibration Issue--Affected Serial Numbers #6  
Update. Test drove at dealer, and there was a significant what I would describe as a high frequency vibration. I know that is not a real term, but I do not know how else to describe it. Kind of like the vibration you get from a weedeater. Dealer called tech rep. He, of course, was familiar with the issue. They are replacing the operator platform with an updated heavier unit, and a thicker rubber pad. Dealer was great, Franklin Kubota, and if I am not satisfied when they put the parts on, I do not have to do the deal. I hope it works, as I feel this tractor will handle all of my needs and more. Besides, I think I got a great deal, 16,100 for the B3200, FEL, and Rim Guard. Best deal I could find, and it is my closest dealer, who also turned out to be really nice guys! Keeping my fingers crossed.

That fix may be all you need to lessen the effects. I don't think the vibration will harm anything. When I had my B3200 it had the vibration and it was most evident at high/max rpm's. Didn't bother me a whole lot. What did bother me was everything that rattled and made noise as a result of the vibration. Plastic pieces and such drove me nuts. I kept putting rubber pieces here and there to dampen or stop the noise.

/ B3200 Vibration Issue--Affected Serial Numbers #7  

============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

The term is continuos sympathetic vibration from what I remember as the engine becomes more of a generator of vibration through the transmission, frame, seat, steering wheel etc.

The vibration wil not go away it was something that was created by an adjustment to the fuel delivery settings and as more power is called upon the vibration becomes more continuos creating a continuos wave of vibration while under load.

And again the "vibration" issue is because the engine fuel delivery has been advanced to reduce the emmisions at the exhaust to make the E.P.A. happy;
which is the fix that has been done at Atlanta when the machine is tested and adjusted.

The rubber isolators for the platform are compressed when installed and will eventually become brittle with age and become zero effective.

Stating this again:

THEIR SIMPLE FIX IS ADD WIEGHT TO COUNTER THE EFFECT OF THE VIBRATION FROM THE RESETING OF THE FUEL DELIVERY VOLUME TO REDUCE
EMMISIONS.

It would be solved completely if the engine was reset to its proper fule settings and a small exhaust gas purifier was installed.

If this machine does not behave with a BALANCED LOW IDLE you wil continue to have problems with it AND THEY WILL NOT GO AWAY.

Simply ask them to rest the fuel settings to provide the balanced idle and you will have no issues ever IF not, walk away; And stating again these

engines are used in other applications with no reajustment of the fuel settings as these engines are not used on LAWN MOWERS.

I think maybe this is just a large engine on a smaller frame, not to mention it is a 4 cyl. However, I hope it works. I think I will enjoy the extra power and torque over the smaller B's. This one did not seem to shake any of the parts more than normal.

leonz, we posted at the same time, and I just finished reading your post. Can it be reset to the proper fuel setting? I am not concerned with what the EPA would like to see.

/ B3200 Vibration Issue--Affected Serial Numbers #10  
IN ONE WORD, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they wont do it look for the buying pricing posting for the dealer who changed the settings for his customer no questions asked as he-the dealer knows about the changed fuel settings to make the EPA happy.

If they wont do it buy an engine manual from Foley engine service in MASS.

AS DR. DIESEL has repeated stated to me these engines DO NOT VIBRATE AT LOW OR HIGH IDLE AND THE PROBLEMS ARE THE MAN MADE ADJUSTMENTS.

THE MANS BUSINESS IS REBUILDING AND SELLING ENGINES OF WHICH HE IS A KUBOTA ENGINE PARTS DEALER AND ENGINE RETAILER.

He carries other engine lines as well and his family has been doing this for a very long time.