B3350 and diesel particulate filter

/ B3350 and diesel particulate filter #41  
I've got a 2015 B3350. It's perfect for my needs. No problem with DPF until 900+ hours in late 2021.

I'll start with the information I got from my dealer and the state service rep along with my NEW operating instructions and then give you my backstory.

The B3350 does not have common rail or electronic fuel injection - it has mechanical fuel injection paired with electronics that "monitor" the emissions system of the engine. The marriage of mechanical fuel injection with electronics is far from perfect - they don't communicate like a common rail all electronic system. As a result, the B3350 electronics employ an algorithm to estimate the engine's operation, emissions and need for regen. According to the state service rep, the algorithm is based on optimal operating conditions. To keep the electronics in sync with the actual machine conditions (and avoid a long, expensive repair), you need to do the following:

1. Use glow plugs for 20 seconds on first start of the day (more if very cold)- also, if cold, be sure to use the block heater. Excessive cranking causes excessive smoke/particulate which will prematurely clog your DPF filter.

2. Warmup for up to a minute (longer if cold out) @ 1,500 RPM.

3. Once warmed up, operate it flat out at 2,500 RPM, even if you'd normally be running at 1,500 or 1,800 RPM for the task at hand. When using the 6' rotary mower, I do throttle down before engaging the PTO - same for dis-engaging, but then it's back to 2,500.

4. If nature calls or you need to hop off to do something, either leave it running at 2,500 RPM or turn it off - DO NOT IDLE at lower RPM's.

5. If restarting while the machine's still warm, you don't need to use the glow plugs.

6. When done for the day, let it cool off at 1,000 RPM for 2 minutes.

My backstory - I just got my B3350 back after an extended stay (6 weeks total) at my dealer's shop. In the midst of doing some spring cleanup, my 3350 lost power. If I just stayed parked, the engine would get up to normal revs, but when I put any load on it, it would die. I managed to limp back to the barn a few yards at a time.

Turns out that my DPF filter was clogged and needed to be replaced. First discussion with my dealer sounded like it was going to be a $7K repair. They stepped up and worked with the state Kubota service rep and my out of pocket (before normal pickup/delivery charge) ended up being about 5% of the original estimate. Am not complaining - also, my dealer lent me his ZTR (delivered) so I could knock down some of the jungle that arose in the B3350's absence.

My repair included replacing the DPF filter, the (3) DPF sensors, the flange from the manifold to the DPF, also pulled head and replaced valve guide seals, valve guides, head gasket & then reset timing on the fuel injection pump - the tech had 30+ hours into it - I bet he was glad to finish it up and get it out of his shop.
Upon return, I worked 2 hours the first day and 9 hours straight the next day without a hiccup. It's now been about a year and I'm at 1050 hours with no issues and just normal (working) regens at expected frequency. At 2,500 RPM, I'm wearing hearing protection and burning more fuel, but (hopefully) not compromising the DPF.

Hope that this info saves other B3350 owners the shop time and expense.