B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #111  
We shall see if there is a next time. The B is relegated to field work with mowing duties only. The FEL remains on, and I imagine the "stress" of the bouncing, and field conditions , plus prior FEL work, contributed to the failure. Since it is no longer my go to machine for FEL work, I am hoping that it should handle the next five years of mowing duties only.

Appreciate the input. Thanks.

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #112  
Very interesting reading with many more knowledgable people than I weighing in. Being relatively less experienced than many of you, I read these as a proactive approach to learning by experience with my B7800. This thread made me re-think using my FEL with a sheet of 3/4 plywood to extend the bucket and carry a full load of green maple out of the woods. My tractor has loaded tires but presently no additional counterbalance. The tarrain is quite uneven and although I am not too concerned with a tipping issure due to the extremely low position of the bucket, I am rethinking the stress on the front end of my tractor. I have basically fiqured to this point that if it can do it...I can do it! I just finished building a box [approx. 1 face cord capacity] on a "carry all" frame for the 3pt but I was planning on using both the bucket and this box. Is that pushing the limits of my beloved B7800 too far?

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #113  
"carry all" frame for the 3pt but I was planning on using both the bucket and this box. Is that pushing the limits of my beloved B7800 too far?

With the rear carry all loaded ... that will counter balance your loader load and take a lot of weight off your front axle ... KennyV

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #114  
Thanks!
A somewhat related question: The listed capacity for the 3pt is very close or slightly under what I calculate the weight is of a face cord of green maple or beech. I have never over loaded the 3pt nor my FELs, what happens at that point. I assume a bypass protects the system and I hope no harm is done? Is the listed capacity pretty accurate or is it conservative? The box I fabricated is 32" deep X 54" wide X 48" tall. I was attempting to keep the load close to the lifting point, but obviously it's still not AT the lifting point. As I see it anyway.

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #115  
. I assume a bypass protects the system
Is the listed capacity pretty accurate or is it conservative?

There is a bypass, and it will prevent you from lifting too much... My experience is it is very conservative... The ones I have had seemed to lift a lot more than rated...

You do have one thing to be concerned about... If you have a heavy load in your FEL and a heavy counter load on your 3pt, be careful that you do not loose the load on the 3pt... If you do you will be very front heavy, so always keep the loader low in case something like that happens you can recover... KennyV

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #116  
I have 2 B7800's. One with FEL, one without. The only problems I have had besides rust on the fender wells, is leaking real axle seals. After reading this thread, I guess I won't be turning left. Seriously, I run them hard and have to say they are pretty good machines.

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #117  
Thanks Kenny,
definately will do that as the box is open at the back. This site and experienced folk like you are a great source of information! -rod

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #118  
Just saw this post. Happen to me as well. 20190711_144159.jpeg

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #119  
The rear tires were filled by my dealership when I bought it new, so I don't consider the rear ballast inadequate.

I'm not going through this entire thread but I have to say that rear ballast is for Traction and is useless for offsetting FEL loads. To do that you need weight BEHIND the rear axle, something heavy on the three point. I'm not surprised that if you were lifting any considerable weight and moving about with the tractor, crack go the axles.

/ B7800 - Busted Axle at 441 hours #120  
Just saw this post. Happen to me as well. View attachment 612575

Now isn't it interesting that the photo shows a near match for the failure in the original post. That is, over half the failure happened some time ago as witnessed by the rusting pattern.

That suggests that the real failure happened and was not regarded as a significant event. Then, when the wheels fall off, the owner is puzzled by the seemingly innocent circumstances. The fact that the other side stub axle is cracked also furthers the point.

I'm with crazyal in his post #69 of this thread. It's not a casting, the break could have happened under much different circumstances than the ultimate failure. Also, I don't hold the maker at fault. **** happens.

And to the dealer's suggestion to just run loaded rears, that shows how infrequently such failures actually occur. But the internet being what it is, every failure gets LOTS of exposure.

At $300 for parts to put it back to right, I say the issue is out of proportion to this thread length ;-)