Back from vacation, a walk around the yard

/ Back from vacation, a walk around the yard #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
Well, the wife (a teacher) was on spring break last week so we went to Colorado and New Mexico for a road trip. Went to Colorado Springs and rode the Cog Railway to the top of Pikes Peak

Attachments

• WALK AROUND THE YARD 001.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 001.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 288
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 002.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 002.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 214
   / Back from vacation, a walk around the yard
Then, after getting home (2300 miles later), I walked around yard to see how plants (garden), and things were going. Pic 3 is hanging strawberry plant, 4=wisteria, 5=tomato cages and plants, 6=political pumphouse, 7=water storage tanks for irrigation, 8=wild plum trees, 9=plum blooms, 10=small plum, 11=wisteria, 12= peach bloom.

Attachments

• WALK AROUND THE YARD 003.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 003.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 199
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 004.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 004.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 131
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 005.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 005.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 133
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 006.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 006.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 131
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 007.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 007.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 219
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 008.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 008.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 122
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 009.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 009.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 107
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 010.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 010.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 102
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 011.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 011.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 101
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 012.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 012.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 129
Continue going around yard, 13=rose bush/birdfeeder/sundial, 14=wild berryvines blooming, 15&16=grapevine covered arbor, 17=willow tree/fruitless pear trees/windchime, and 18 is a tiller (more about this in lawn and garden section).

Attachments

• WALK AROUND THE YARD 013.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 013.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 89
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 014.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 014.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 82
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 015.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 015.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 80
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 016.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 016.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 84
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 017.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 017.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 72
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 018.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 018.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 104
Lastly, why you should always be on the lookout when walking around. Found this while I was going after chicken feed for my chickens.

Attachments

• WALK AROUND THE YARD 026.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 026.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 238
  • WALK AROUND THE YARD 025.jpg
    WALK AROUND THE YARD 025.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 209
   / Back from vacation, a walk around the yard #5  
Beautiful pics. Wif and I will be setting out some "better boy" 'maters tomorrow. Also, you've got some sturdy fencing some of your plants. I guess deer like to eat up your garden also.

What kind of snake was it? I guess it's time to start wearing the snake boots while out in the boonies.

If my wif happened up on a snake like that, she'd **it a brick.

Thanks for sharing,
Podunk

Podunkadunk said:
Beautiful pics. Wif and I will be setting out some "better boy" 'maters tomorrow. Also, you've got some sturdy fencing some of your plants. I guess deer like to eat up your garden also.

What kind of snake was it? I guess it's time to start wearing the snake boots while out in the boonies.

If my wif happened up on a snake like that, she'd **it a brick.

Thanks for sharing,
Podunk
I use the concrete reinforcing mesh to make tomato cages because they don't fall apart. No deer problems here, there are a few sightings, but they aren't a problem yet. That is a copperhead snake. They get in vines (grape, berry, etc) to catch birds or whatever comes along to eat the fruit. Looks like this will be the first of many this year.

/ Back from vacation, a walk around the yard #7  
I just googled Copperhead Snake. They'll do major damage if they bite you. Be careful out there in Teyhaas. Good job whacking his head off. We've got some of the largest diamondback rattlesnakes around these parts. At least (if you are lucky) he'll make noise before you step on him, but I'm not going to count on it.

From what you posted, the Copperhead can be chilling in your grapevine, you stick your hand in there to pick some grapes or whatever...bam, he gets you:eek: No sound, no warning!

Snake boots it is from now 'til first frost...

Podunk

Podunkadunk said:
I just googled Copperhead Snake. They'll do major damage if they bite you. Be careful out there in Teyhaas. Good job whacking his head off. We've got some of the largest diamondback rattlesnakes around these parts. At least (if you are lucky) he'll make noise before you step on him, but I'm not going to count on it.

From what you posted, the Copperhead can be chilling in your grapevine, you stick your hand in there to pick some grapes or whatever...bam, he gets you:eek: No sound, no warning!

Snake boots it is from now 'til first frost...

Podunk
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/photos/64055d1162706702-rattlesnake-picture-snake.pdf Yep, we got them too. Copperheads are plenty bad just because like you say, no warning. Then there's always the water moccasins, just have to be careful.

/ Back from vacation, a walk around the yard #9  
BTDT, your place looks a lot like mine. Your wild plums are the same size as mine the dewberries are in full bloom. I also have a cattlepannel/steel post grape vine, and I also killed a copperhead in the yard last week. We saw our pet coral snake today, it must be spring. Are those wild mustang grapes vines?
(You might want to send Eddiewalker a PM and warn him of the snake picture, he looses hair every time he sees one :D .)

txdon said:
BTDT, your place looks a lot like mine. Your wild plums are the same size as mine the dewberries are in full bloom. I also have a cattlepannel/steel post grape vine, and I also killed a copperhead in the yard last week. We saw our pet coral snake today, it must be spring. Are those wild mustang grapes vines?
(You might want to send Eddiewalker a PM and warn him of the snake picture, he looses hair every time he sees one :D .)
Yes, wild mustang grapes. It's a race around my place when the fruit starts getting ripe (berries, grapes, plums, etc). All the critters like them as much as I do.