Backhoe attachments

/ Backhoe attachments #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
How difficult is it to detach a backhoe attachment?

I am interested in buying a backhoe loader. A friend suggested a put a backhoe on the back of my tractor. I would have to remove the attachment to use any other attachment and I think it would make the tractor more difficult to maneuver in tight spots. I have seen back hoe loaders for under 20K.

What is your advice?

/ Backhoe attachments #2  
Last edited:
   / Backhoe attachments #3  
I have a backhoe (frame mounted) for my Kioti and I like having it on hand for the convenience. It is not difficult to put on. it only takes me about 15 minutes to install or remove if if I’ve done it recently, but if it’s been off for a while, it takes me about 30 minutes just cause I’m re-learning my technique.

one of the best tips I can give you is to make up a pair of 6 foot extension hoses for your hydraulics because when the backhoe has been off for a while and it’s not on a concrete level pad, the outriggers may bleed down and put the backhoe in a position where it’s impossible to reinstall it without first getting close to the backhoe, attaching your hydraulic hose extensions and then using the tractor hydraulics to level it back up.

/ Backhoe attachments #4  
I leave my hoe on all summer and taking it off is fast but, with Kubotas installing the 3PH linkage takes me a bit.

You’ll get all kinds of thoughts on a dedicated BH (TLB) versus a BH on a subframe on your tractor. However, most agree - stay away from 3PH backhoe.

/ Backhoe attachments #5  
A tractor backhoe gives you a new tool but a used construction backhoe will be far stronger and more productive. It’s also nice to leave the tractor alone to do whatever it does and have a dedicated digger. As long as you’re decently handy I’d go with the construction backhoe. If you’re going to have to call a mobile mechanic every time something happens the old backhoe probably isn’t the best option.

/ Backhoe attachments #6  
If 20k doesnt bother you i second the idea that you are better off with a 2nd machine. You can even get a mini excavator in that price range. It mostly depends on what types of work you need done and what you have to haul it with, or if it needs hauled at all!

/ Backhoe attachments #7  
Takes me 10-15 minutes to install my tractor mounted backhoe.
Usually around 5-10 minutes to remove

/ Backhoe attachments #8  
Easy for some, difficult for others.

You need a left handed hammer and don't forget to top up the blinker fluid.

/ Backhoe attachments #9  
We operate our TLBs 80% of the time in 3pt hitch mode. Changing to and from backhoe often not a big deal. They are made to do it. The Kubota TLBs are the best I ever had to do this. Not talking about their ag tractors. I’m sure there are some models easier/ harder to change.

Had a cheap old Ford backhoe for 20 years. One of the best equipment bargains out there. Did lots of work for very little cost and saw the necessity of the backhoe on the farm.

All depends of your needs. The little backhoe can fit in many areas the big can’t for utilities maintenance. Big one needed for large trees.

Gone from 6 tractors down to two. Maintaining equipment has gotten more expensive. My needs have changed too.