Backhoe cost

/ Backhoe cost #1  

Urakunu

Bronze Member
Tractor
Currently searching
Has anyone recently purchased a backhoe for a YT 347 or 359? The price I'm getting quoted is like $11500. That seems like an aweful lot for that backhoe when I can get an LS or Kioti backhoe for between 6k and 7k. I really liked the yanmar tractor but really heavily favoring Kioti NX5010 because its like $8000 cheaper.

/ Backhoe cost #2  
Has anyone recently purchased a backhoe for a YT 347 or 359? The price I'm getting quoted is like $11500. That seems like an aweful lot for that backhoe when I can get an LS or Kioti backhoe for between 6k and 7k. I really liked the yanmar tractor but really heavily favoring Kioti NX5010 because its like $8000 cheaper.

Yanmar has a history of being pricey, and they do tend to be hi-tech/high quality. I'm curious how the Yanmar price compares to JD and Kubota? Have you compared there?
rScotty

/ Backhoe cost
Yanmar has a history of being pricey, and they do tend to be hi-tech/high quality. I'm curious how the Yanmar price compares to JD and Kubota? Have you compared there?
rScotty

Honestly I did not, the lift capacities versus price on those stopped me from going any further. I am a newbie tractor buyer and I look at it this way, maybe I'm wrong. If you look at used tractors on craigslist or marketplace you see a plethora of Kubota and John Deere which are in the same price as Yanmar and holding good resale value. I could not find one used Yanmar tractor in my area for sale and I honestly would be worried about paying that kind of money and then trying to resell or trade. I know Kubota and Deere hold better values than Kioti but I am honestly 10-12k cheaper for the Kioti. Just my line of thought, and it a shame because I really like the Yanmar. But as a newbie tractor buyer I need to purchase every implement and attachment as I have none so that kind of money buys a lot of useful attachments. The backhoe for the Kioti is around $6200, Yanmar is close to twice that price. I just can't see it. Like I said just my opinion as a first time tractor buyer.

/ Backhoe cost #4  
There is nothing wrong with Kioti brand tractors. Korean manufacturing labor is paid about 20% less than Japanese manufacturing labor, in $USA terms.

/ Backhoe cost #5  
Kind of kills me, that people compare one backhoe looking thing with another backhoe looking thing or anything else for that matter. Not saying it's the case for the price discrepency here, but there are varying quality of steel, varying quality of welding, varying quality of valves, hoses, connectors, cylinders and their components. Some cylinders allow for easier rebuilding, some can't be rebuilt at all. Even paint can have varying levels of quality. Often, you do get what you pay for. Sometimes buying the more expensive item will even give you more than you paid for. Buying the cheaper one could give you less than you paid for.

I do feel that you can rarely go wrong buying Japanese. Not much poor quality has ever come out of that country, for the last few decades anyway.

/ Backhoe cost #6  
backhoe seems to be most expensive attachement you can buy, im being told close to 7500 for a mahindra add on.

/ Backhoe cost
Kind of kills me, that people compare one backhoe looking thing with another backhoe looking thing or anything else for that matter. Not saying it's the case for the price discrepency here, but there are varying quality of steel, varying quality of welding, varying quality of valves, hoses, connectors, cylinders and their components. Some cylinders allow for easier rebuilding, some can't be rebuilt at all. Even paint can have varying levels of quality. Often, you do get what you pay for. Sometimes buying the more expensive item will even give you more than you paid for. Buying the cheaper one could give you less than you paid for.

I do feel that you can rarely go wrong buying Japanese. Not much poor quality has ever come out of that country, for the last few decades anyway.

I believe Kioti and Yanmar both use Woods backhoes, issue is Yanmar will not sell the subframe separate from my research so going around them to just buy the woods backhoe is out of the question unless you can get a subframe manufactured.

/ Backhoe cost #8  
No doubt Woods makes great equipment. No mystery why hoes are an expensive attachment. Look at the complexity over other attachments. That adds up in a hurry.

/ Backhoe cost #9  
Honestly I did not, the lift capacities versus price on those stopped me from going any further. I am a newbie tractor buyer and I look at it this way, maybe I'm wrong. If you look at used tractors on craigslist or marketplace you see a plethora of Kubota and John Deere which are in the same price as Yanmar and holding good resale value. I could not find one used Yanmar tractor in my area for sale and I honestly would be worried about paying that kind of money and then trying to resell or trade. I know Kubota and Deere hold better values than Kioti but I am honestly 10-12k cheaper for the Kioti. Just my line of thought, and it a shame because I really like the Yanmar. But as a newbie tractor buyer I need to purchase every implement and attachment as I have none so that kind of money buys a lot of useful attachments. The backhoe for the Kioti is around $6200, Yanmar is close to twice that price. I just can't see it. Like I said just my opinion as a first time tractor buyer.

Keep in mind that advertising departments publish the lift capacities. And they are wonderfully clever at trading things like lift angle and position to get the force numbers as high as they can. I'd be surprised if the real world lift capacities of any similar size backhoes or loaders vary in any way you are going to notice.
You do want 180 degrees of swing and as much digging depth as you can get (digging depth is measure with a 2ft flat bottom). The tractor world is pretty cometitive on tractors - you get what you pay for. It is in the options and attachments that the prices vary so much.... as you are noticing...

Keep asking questions. Good Advice is advice that makes you think about things..... I've been advising people on tools and tractors for a long time now - and the first thing I'd say is to take ALL advice with a grain of salt. Look for bias, even unconscious bias. Each of us knows our own usage best; different terrain, climate, and especially different soils can change things a lot.

Now I'm curious. What is it about the Yanmar that you like so much? We ought to talk about that. I know why I like them, but why would you? Yes, you must have a subframe to use a backhoe on a 3pt hitch tractor. No way around that. BTW, some tractors come with the subframe already built in (the Kubota TLBs).

Common use is either one of several types, which of the ones below describe what you are wanting to do?

One is the Ag type with plowing, tilling, seeding, and rough mowing - basically crops in loam. If you are a newbie doing this, your neighbors are the ones to ask. Those farm guys already know tractors. And chances are they are already watching to see what you will do.

Another type is the home mowing and light landscaping use. One machine can mow the lawn, carry bricks, unload the pickup, and even do some light dirt work like trenching and drainage. Actually they can do more than this, but small machines are slower. Lots of these guys here on TBN. In fact, I'm guessing that here on TBN that is at least half and maybe most of the members.

The other type of use we see newbies wanting advice on is the newbie who just bought some rural land. What we call "big field and forest". This is the guy that needs to mow 40+ acres of brush and tend 40+ acres of woodlot.... some of it sloping. That's specialized use and lots of fascinating options.

Finally there is construction: house, barn, and corral building. If you are doing these chances are you already know what machine you want. Few newbies start out cold doing those projects, but some do. For this type of work the Tractor-Loader-Backhoe or TLB is far and away the preferred type. Unfortunately, only Kubota makes a TLB. Their TLBs do have an optional 3pt hitch, but using it requires taking off the backhoe. I'd also say they are too expensive, but by the time you add a backhoe to a compact tractor you might be approaching the same price range.

On the various makes. Only you know if resale is important. Yes, the Japanese make most of the top tier tractors today (including JDs) and the South Koreans are coming up fast. For a first tractor I'd stay with something manufactured in those countries for now. As far as putting a backhoe onto a 3pt hitch tractor, as I said - you MUST have a subframe. No other way is suitable. I've tried it both ways.

Enjoy!
rScotty

/ Backhoe cost
Lots of good words of wisdom in that reply, thanks for that! First off I like the 10 year warranty, that gives me confidence in the quality of the tractor. I like that they build their tractors from the ground up. I like the way it drove. I know a lot of people talk up their transmission and that a/b button for setting speeds. Don't think that would benefit me. Fit and finish seemed.

My scenario is 310 acres of mostly wooded property. Extensive road system through property. Like to maintain roads, clear area for food plots, dig to install pipes to keep roads dry in some areas. Moving rocks, logs and unloading supplies. Mowing roads and 2 acre pond area. So any food plots we have now are under an acre and a half. Will be doing more maintenance than farming type stuff.

We have a deere 450 for some of the heavier stuff. Thanks again for the input!