Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #41  
Thanks. I have a bigger BH so I may move forward to get a ripper tooth. I'm still surprised that virtually no one sells them for tractor size backhoes.

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again
Thanks. I have a bigger BH so I may move forward to get a ripper tooth. I'm still surprised that virtually no one sells them for tractor size backhoes.
The backhoes themselves have limit sales and the rippers would be what, maybe 2% of that market.
I cant weld so I took my bucket to someone who could to use the mount as a templet. It took him about 10 hours to make it, and most of that was getting the metal cut and shaped.
Good luck, let us know how it works for you.
But the way which backhoe do you have?

Wedge

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #43  
But the way which backhoe do you have?
Woods BH90x with subframe and thumb on a Kioti DK40se. Good match but even with that BH it takes too long to dig under stumps so I'd like to be able to just rip the main roots and pop the stump out. Mostly dealing with 8-18 inch trunks without big tap roots.

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #44  
I have a BX24, so the BH is smaller than yours, and I bolted a stock boxblade ripper tooth from TSC onto the side of my bucket, so it protrudes out the 'backside' (ie: about 90 degrees from the front bucket sideplate).

It works great for stripping the soil away from the root structures at the base of the stump, which frees it up for pushing or rocking it much quicker than usual. I don't have enough hydraulic power to rip through thicker roots, but I can chisel them away bit by bit, if I can't conveniently work further away from the base.

Having the bucket still available is a big 'plus', because all the soil I strip downward refills my perimeter trench, and I can still scoop out the new dirt I've created.

I initially mounted the ripper facing upwards, but found it more effective to have it facing down, the same 'face' as the bucket itself. I used three 5/8ths bolts to lock it onto the side of the bucket, and haven't snapped one yet.

I don't generally leave it on the bucket, but whenever I attach it, I spend a little time ripping out surface roots around the lawn, or where I've compacted the soil with repeated tractor trips.

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #45  
Here's a shot of the ripper tooth facing the 'wrong' way, when I first put it on. I now always mount it facing the other direction. It was a simple and inexpensive tool, that has really come in handy.

Attachments

• ripper side shot.JPG
    ripper side shot.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 382
   / Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #46  
Here's a shot of the ripper tooth facing the 'wrong' way, when I first put it on. I now always mount it facing the other direction. It was a simple and inexpensive tool, that has really come in handy.

Have you ever actually removed a stump with your ripper. I realize the BX loader has limited curl etc but recall that they have been used successfully with ?Brotek rippers on stumps. If your adaptation works well it should be publicized to other BX owners. I would however be a bit concerned that the overall length of the ripper in your configuration would make it tough for a small loader to exert much curling force.

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #49  
Darn your quick... I deleted the post since TBN doesn't like "jokes" :p

Mae West would have loved it too. Other than the famous gun in your pocket line, another of my favorites of hers: "One more drink and I'll be under the host".

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #50  
Yes, Island Tractor, I've used it quite a bit, and it has been helpful on several larger stumps, like the one below.

One shot shows the ripper being used to strip even more soil from the pulled stump, so it could be carried away... otherwise it would tax my capacity.

Attachments

• stripping rootball soil with ripper.jpg
    stripping rootball soil with ripper.jpg
    861.5 KB · Views: 399
  • stump pulled using ripper.jpg
    stump pulled using ripper.jpg
    930.5 KB · Views: 374