Backhoe Backhoe tips and tricks?

/ Backhoe tips and tricks? #1  

o2batsea

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45C 2005
I know there aren't too many backhoe users here, but if there are any I'd like to know what kind of issues you have and what tips you might offer. I have a 2006 DK45 Cab (Cassette player? Really? Come on) and Loader along with a 2385 Backhoe attachment.
The thing with the backhoe is that is a royal PITA to attach and detach from the tractor chassis. In order to get the subframe loose I have to chain it to a tree and drive forward to pop it off. Getting it back on means much fiddling with height, using the outrigger legs and bucket to lift it, and eventually resorting to the come along to pull it into position.
By the time it's hooked up I'm worn out.
The connection areas are dry as in no grease. Would it help to grease? Any help greatly appreciated.

/ Backhoe tips and tricks?
OOps that's a 2485 backhoe.

/ Backhoe tips and tricks? #3  
I'm thinking it maybe safe to say that 50% or greater of us have backhoes.

Would be great if you could post a picture or two during the process.

Did you have he dealer demonstrate the process for you?

May just be pilot error.

My machine's hoe is very easy to get on an off. The key for me is properly cribbing the hoe during the removal process, makes getting back on a bunch easier.

it's possible the frame mount is not aligned up correctly but would think that to be remote.

Have you read the manual carefully?

Any pictures will help.

Joel

/ Backhoe tips and tricks? #4  
I know there aren't too many backhoe users here, but if there are any I'd like to know what kind of issues you have and what tips you might offer. I have a 2006 DK45 Cab (Cassette player? Really? Come on) and Loader along with a 2385 Backhoe attachment.
The thing with the backhoe is that is a royal PITA to attach and detach from the tractor chassis. In order to get the subframe loose I have to chain it to a tree and drive forward to pop it off. Getting it back on means much fiddling with height, using the outrigger legs and bucket to lift it, and eventually resorting to the come along to pull it into position.
By the time it's hooked up I'm worn out.
The connection areas are dry as in no grease. Would it help to grease? Any help greatly appreciated.

Mine is described as "self assisting" when attaching/detaching.
Although the manual isn't very clear on exactly what that means I seem to have developed the right sequence of steps to make it all happen without a lot of toil.
The only "trick" seems to be to hook up the hydraulics when the tractor is still a few inches away and use the weight of the bucket to first lower the sub frame so I can drive the tractor back to get the rear hooks on (using stabilizer legs too for exact height), then send the bucket out to pivot the sub frame up and get the front latches on and pins in.

There was some initial installation "alignment" procedure in which I was instructed to loosen a lot of the loader's sub frame bolts and not tighten them until the hoe sub frame was attached. Not WAY loosen, just a turn or so to let bolts move within the tolerances of the sizes and alignment of everything. If you have that section of the manual it might be worth reviewing to figure what might be in tension and resisting your efforts.
You want a GOOD fit, not an "interference fit".
If you didn't do the initial installation yourself I'd guess the shop did a "force fit" and you are experiencing the consequences of that.

/ Backhoe tips and tricks? #5  
It doesn't sound like something that grease will solve. I don't know your particular machine, but it sounds more like a mis-alignment of something. All of the connection points on my backhoe slip right into place with no "nudging" required. In fact, mine has tapered entryways so it doesn't have to be perfectly lined up at the start. You might compare yours to another, same model machine to see if something is out of whack.

Hmmm. Sorry to say there isn't any dealer involvement as I bought is second hand (120 hours) and the PO was sorta clueless. Well ok, really clueless. Real estate broker. Anyway, no demo on the BH.
I did figure out the "hook up the lines" thing pretty fast, using the hydraulics to raise and line up the subframe. Works great putting it on. It's just that getting it to come loose seems difficult, especially if its all muddy and sandy. Power washing the crap out helps.
I park it in the new barn so I don't have any trees handy anymore. Hate to have to rig a chain to the floor or wall just to get the backhoe loose.
I'll try some of the suggestions. Thanks.

Mine is described as "self assisting" when attaching/detaching.
Although the manual isn't very clear on exactly what that means I seem to have developed the right sequence of steps to make it all happen without a lot of toil.
The only "trick" seems to be to hook up the hydraulics when the tractor is still a few inches away and use the weight of the bucket to first lower the sub frame so I can drive the tractor back to get the rear hooks on (using stabilizer legs too for exact height), then send the bucket out to pivot the sub frame up and get the front latches on and pins in.

There was some initial installation "alignment" procedure in which I was instructed to loosen a lot of the loader's sub frame bolts and not tighten them until the hoe sub frame was attached. Not WAY loosen, just a turn or so to let bolts move within the tolerances of the sizes and alignment of everything. If you have that section of the manual it might be worth reviewing to figure what might be in tension and resisting your efforts.
You want a GOOD fit, not an "interference fit".
If you didn't do the initial installation yourself I'd guess the shop did a "force fit" and you are experiencing the consequences of that.

Yeah, well, no operation manual came with, so I'm figuring it all out empirically. It seems that Dingbat bent the thing somehow. Not sure if it's just the fitting where the arm attaches to the crossmember or if the whole effin thing is tweaked. It's not much, and certainly doesn't effect the operations or performance in any way, but it might be screwing me up on the attachment process. It's so slight that I didn't notice it for about a month of owning it, when trying to put the ( previously missing ) transport pin thru. Didn't go all the way.

There were a few other little dinks like that...the rear fender assembly was bent along with the right side step and the left hand engine side cover. All straight now but suspicious.

/ Backhoe tips and tricks? #8  
Yeah, well, no operation manual came with, so I'm figuring it all out empirically. It seems that Dingbat bent the thing somehow. Not sure if it's just the fitting where the arm attaches to the crossmember or if the whole effin thing is tweaked. It's not much, and certainly doesn't effect the operations or performance in any way, but it might be screwing me up on the attachment process. It's so slight that I didn't notice it for about a month of owning it, when trying to put the ( previously missing ) transport pin thru. Didn't go all the way.

There were a few other little dinks like that...the rear fender assembly was bent along with the right side step and the left hand engine side cover. All straight now but suspicious.

Now I am getting to REALLY think that you need something like the installation alignment that I mentioned.
Mine needed it to get one of the front latches to close over the cross rod enough to allow the pin to go in.
I was on the brink of squirming under there with a hand sledge and hitting myself in the forehead on the back-swing, but decided instead to RTFM.

I looked on the KIOTI web site, but they don't publish .pdf files of user or installation manuals on their site.
Ya might have to browse one at your local dealer, or even order and buy one.

I can send you a copy of the .pdf file for the Amerequip 8 1/2 ft hoe manual if you wish.
I just re-read it and it suggests removing the loader and loosening things around where the hoe's sub-frame hooks to the loader's sub-frame.
In retrospect I would probably have had an easier time if I had mounted the sub-frame to the tractor before mounting the hoe to the sub-frame, as they suggest.

/ Backhoe tips and tricks? #9  
Yeah, well, no operation manual came with, so I'm figuring it all out empirically. dinks like that.

if you mentioned where you live you might luck out here and somebody may live right around the corner from you who can help you.