BACKHOE VS BALLAST BOX

/ BACKHOE VS BALLAST BOX #1  

Brimfield

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3800
I just added a log grapple to my L3800. I know I need good ballast to move log length. I have rim guard in the rear tires. Now the choice is ballast box with sand or B77 Backhoe. I would assume the backhoe would be better but how are the ballast boxes? Today I moved a large round to try out the grapple but the snow blower was not enough weight and the rear tires were spinning in sand.

Tractor wGrapple 050421.jpg

/ BACKHOE VS BALLAST BOX #2  
I just added a log grapple to my L3800. I know I need good ballast to move log length. I have rim guard in the rear tires. Now the choice is ballast box with sand or B77 Backhoe. I would assume the backhoe would be better but how are the ballast boxes? Today I moved a large round to try out the grapple but the snow blower was not enough weight and the rear tires were spinning in sand.

View attachment 697277
A backhoe is a good source of ballast weight (I use mine for that), but a ballast box allows for better maneuvering in tight spaces.

/ BACKHOE VS BALLAST BOX #3  
In my experience with a backhoe ballast:
The backhoe has a lot of weight up high which can cause big, uncomfortable weight transfers in undulating terrain.
They’re also very long so they swing wide when turning. That’s annoying in the bush.
The advantage is that you can slew it to the uphill side on hill crossings for better stability.

/ BACKHOE VS BALLAST BOX #4  
The backhoe will raise the center of gravity and reduce the ground clearance. Go with added wheel weight and a 3pt ballast

/ BACKHOE VS BALLAST BOX #5  
I use a ballast box on my B2601 . I have modified it to hold garden tools. I use to have a box series with a backhoe and found it to be cumbersome and a little too heavy. Also I found the back home to be limited and required constant movement an set up to dig anything other than a stationary hole . After extensive research I have purschase a mini excavator which allows much more flexibility and retains the maneuverability of the tractor yes a larger over al, expense but over many years I have found combo tools like a tractor with back hoe less functional and flexible than specific tools for specific purposes

/ BACKHOE VS BALLAST BOX #6  
If space is an issue, ditch the backhoe for ballast. Concrete will have more weigh than sand. You can buy pre-made metal boxes online in the $250.00 range empty. Some have tubes for tools.
Or you can YouTube search for ballast box and find 100’s if not 1000’s of homemade examples. The best part of building your own after the feel of I did it is with dome thought/preplanning, you get what best serves you. Overall size and shape being biggies. Incorporate the tool holders that fits your needs—chainsaw holder, chain holders, ax holder, and the lust is only limited by you.

/ BACKHOE VS BALLAST BOX #7  
I try to keep the cheapest, heaviest and most durable ballast on the back of my tractor. My $150 John Deere ballast box weighs 900 lbs. I bought it used a couple of months ago and filled it up 2 weeks ago with the extra concrete from my barn floor pour. If I damage it, I'm not out much. If I damage my other ballast options - 700 lb rototiller, 900 lb chipper, 500 lb snowblower, I am out a lot more money.

/ BACKHOE VS BALLAST BOX #8  
Don't have BH option, made a 600 (+/-) pound ballast box, measure 2x2x1 ft. and holds 4 cubic feet of concrete.... Smaller and more compact than a BH would be.... BUT if you have BH and its mounted it would work just fine, just remember the "bulk" behind you.

ballast-box-jpg.677107

/ BACKHOE VS BALLAST BOX #9  
I assume you already have the backhoe? The backhoe has the big disadvantage of being in the way but it would take a very heavy ballast box to reach the same effect. The backhoe is already heavy to start with and the farther the weight hangs behind the rear axel the more effect it has. I’ve never used a BB because they’re useless for anything else. A box blade or backhoe or some other implement at least has other uses. Usually if I’m working in tight areas I’m not doing hard work and just drop the ballast entirely. Truth be told usually I loose the loader and use the rear implements for tight work. The loader adds considerably to the turning radius where the rear implement doesn’t have much effect.

Last edited: