Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #71  
TYM has backhoes for all sizes of their tractors and they come with the necessary subframe. It takes me 30 minutes to install or remove mine. Seen guys do it in 15 but I'm extra cautious. The backhoe gets less use than any of my other attachments but I don't regret having it (stays off until needed).
Unless you're going to be using backhoe every week I think you would want utility tractor, hydro drive, and the extra versatility of all those attachment options.
Since you're still deciding think about flail mower instead of bush hog. Another choice I don't regret. I do regret the $3000. stump grinder.
Ugh, you got one of those stump grinders as well. I want my money back as well. lol. I gave up on it and just dig out the stumps with my backhoe. I find it easier, faster, and more satisfying than that stupid grinder.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #72  
As others have said, depends on percentage of use of backhoe, I may find one task per yr to use my 580 case backhoe/loader, but usually have use for one the (3) tractors or loader once a week. Or as someone else suggested, if limited use for backhoe, buy one of the $3000 tow behinds or rent a hoe for really big jobs.
Smiley

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #73  
What kind of soil do you have? I have had a used Kubota L45 since 2014 and here in Texas the clay soil gets so hard that about two foot down is about as far as the backhoe goes without watering the hole, rental dealer in town will not rent a backhoe during the dry summers. When I started on my six acres it was an open field gone wild. Counted 155 mesquite plants (tallest about five foot) big and small in one three acre plot. Had a Ford 8N use to mow with, tire repair man loved me. I wouldn't give up my Kubota, though it is best to find a repair shop near by, my closest is 30 miles away, costs $300 to round trip it to shop. I won't buy JD because the dealer tried to skin me on a used one, that and Kubota can take skid steer mounted attachments on front. Had a shop built had to get ten foot high door to clear back hoe (8ft 9in), that and I can't get in low stalls with canopy. As far as changing over to 3Point arms less than half hour. I have a box blade, disk harrow, landscape rake, shredder, blade, and cultipacker, and hay spear and pallet forks on front. Now all I need is a post hole digger and my toy collection will be complete.
With the backhoe on I can lift heavy objects in front without having to add weights.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #74  
The way I read this the OP is trying to choose between a midsize TLB like a L47 and a tractor (like a 4701) that has both backhoe and loader attachments.
How about it OP?
I have a Davis 100A but it is too heavy for my 2910i Branson , and for several years I read forums, etc. to come up with plans to set it on a trailer like a car hauler, the little backhoe only digs about 6’ to 8’ but it beats digging by hand when you’re 72 years old. backhoe has its own pump to attach to pto, I will try to upload some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpeg
    IMG_0753.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0749.jpeg
    IMG_0749.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0739.jpeg
    IMG_0739.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0731.jpeg
    IMG_0731.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0721.jpeg
    IMG_0721.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 43
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #75  
More pictures of Davis 100a trencher/backhoe

Attachments

• IMG_0732.jpeg
    IMG_0732.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0723.jpeg
    IMG_0723.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0721.jpeg
    IMG_0721.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0745.jpeg
    IMG_0745.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0749.jpeg
    IMG_0749.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0727.jpeg
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0724.jpeg
    IMG_0724.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #76  
I am looking at putting this on trailer so that stabilizers are lowered to ground and attach trencher to trailer , and attached to tractor to stabilize trailer. All ideas welcome.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #77  
Silly question, but here it goes.

Which would be most ideal for a 6 acre property with long driveway, mature trees, snow removal, and making and maintaining a small veggie garden. A midsize backhoe with loader or a midsize tractor with backhoe and

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #78  
Silly question, but here it goes.

Which would be most ideal for a 6 acre property with long driveway, mature trees, snow removal, and making and maintaining a small veggie garden. A midsize backhoe with loader or a midsize tractor with backhoe and loader?
I had a 22 acre campground, lots of roads, lots of forest and lots of snow. I had a Case 580 and that thing was worked, everything from pruning trees, picking up large deadfall, clearing snow of the roads and maintaining the gravel roads, digging trenches for utilities, putting up poles for street lighting, loading our gravel truck (5ton). It was 20 years old when we bought it and 26 years years after that it is still going.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #79  
Oh I have loader with The Thumb by Green’s Machine, I. have moved a lot with this set up, it will pickup a single pice of tin. I am in process of making a landscape rake, I need a piece of 2” square tubing about 6’ long,to finish assembling .loading some pictures. I used 3”x4” and pretty thick angle Iron, 56” long -.21 -2 hole tines made with 5160 steel spaced 1” apart, bought 3 point tractor stabilizer/trailer hitch from eBay for $40, to put on bar , I bought tines for $ 2.50 each about 3 years ago, today they are $10.00 each. Will post pictures when complete. I hope it will function for what I need.Again all ideas welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0789.jpeg
    IMG_0789.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #80  
I have a little over 6 acres, 3/4 woods and tight spaces.

700' shared road and driveways to clear snow.
Lots of ash trees to move around from felling to firewood.

Backhoe gets used for stump pulling and planting trees.

Flail for the rough paths/trails in the woods.

I use a Lawn Tractor for mowing the grassy areas.

Lots of gravel and dirt moving for trenches (toothbar on FEL is quite useful as we have diabase here and rocks in some solid packed dirt.).

Use Backhoe with thumb to move logs and rip out brush, would be very nice to have a grapple, but no $ for that

It's light for pulling, but the BH is good ballast.

I need to get through a lot of tight spaces and trails, so smaller works for me.

Use forks too for moving rounds, trees to plant and the occasional pallet from deliveries.

It has limitations, so I just work around them, and it fits in a normal size garage.

If you don't have space limitations, then go up to a compact if you can afford it and rent a bigger machine when/if needed. Tractor more versatile until you need to clear land, the a dedicated BH or SKidsteer is quite useful.