Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #101  
I believe that the yellow loader backhoes are deliberately built so that an operator doesn't have to be careful. After all, there are no operator's certificates most places. A company has no idea who they are hiring to run those things. But they are so incredibly rugged that they are strong enough to withstand almost - or maybe everything - that a uncaring operator can do to them. It would be very hard to get one to hurt itself.

BTW, from JD I was able to get the original build sheet for our 310SG. The FEL from a 410 is an option on the 310. Ours handles it easily... I forget the lift spec, but it is something crazy. If I remember right it is almost 8000 lbs to full height. That will certainly handle most things.....

rScotty
7,340lbs

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #102  
I believe that the yellow loader backhoes are deliberately built so that an operator doesn't have to be careful. After all, there are no operator's certificates most places. A company has no idea who they are hiring to run those things. But they are so incredibly rugged that they are strong enough to withstand almost - or maybe everything - that a uncaring operator can do to them. It would be very hard to get one to hurt itself.

BTW, from JD I was able to get the original build sheet for our 310SG. The FEL from a 410 is an option on the 310. Ours handles it easily... I forget the lift spec, but it is something crazy. If I remember right it is almost 8000 lbs to full height. That will certainly handle most things.....

rScotty

Some people could break an Anvil, Repeatedly.

I should start a thread on ugliest most broken repaired (welded up) TLB's pretty sure that is one class the old 550 would score Very highly, heh heh.

Even at ~13000lb at some points in it's long life operators managed to break the buckets, both FEL and backhoe, and I think even "tore" the Backhoe off of the machine plus break the boom including apparently ripping the boom and dipper pin bosses out, and even a cylinder was welded up. I think age , operator and maintenance can really affect what a piece of equipment looks like after a few decades.

Reminds me of the old saying about the Case 580's "So Tough the only thing that can break it, Is itself"

All that said at least they are built to take a real beating, most CUT's with add on backhoes would be ready for the bone yard very quickly if treated anything like what an industrial machine an take before something breaks.

ps. the saving grace on old Ford's is that they used weldable steel for most everything. Some manufacturers on some models Do Not, which would certainly make for more of them in the bone yards.

Last edited:
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #103  
When we went looking for a used full size yellow backhoe/loader, we would have been just as happy with a Ford 555, Case 580, JD310, or Cat 416. All are the smallest of their type, and all have our minimum requirements: 4x4, extendahoe, and a cab with AC & Heat.

When buying used, it is good to have a definite idea of what you want - and and then be prepared when an exceptional one comes up for sale. Any of those makes would have been fine, but it has to be in exceptional shape. Nothing else will do. Also, I feel more comfortable when buying a used machine from a private owner rather than a dealer.

The one we got had twice the hours I hoped for, but it was well-maintained with records and options.
Had it ten years now. Maintenance/repair has been about $3000 plus tires all around.

rScotty

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #104  
I thought about a Deere 310 instead of buy ing my L47.

I didn't see anything decent in the $25 range but I think $35 would have covered it.
OK so now I've got a TLB. Now I need a 45hp, 4 wd tractor to do what the TLB can't, like mowing etc.

I decided that it was best to let a $10k backhoe attachment sit most of the time rather than let the 310 take up storage space.
(It would be even more space than a backhoe attachment.)

If I constantly needed a full size TLB, things would be different. Another problem with the full size is that I have no way to transport it.

So right or wrong I spent about $50k for a brand new machine that can do 90% of what I need.
I maintain one tractor and store one tractor.

BTW I used to have a Ford 655e back in the 90's and it was a much better TLB than the L47 as far a digging and moving material goes. ( it had a 1 yard bucket.)
Those things were dinosaurs just big and heavy and pretty much dug anything simple also

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #105  
When we went looking for a used full size yellow backhoe/loader, we would have been just as happy with a Ford 555, Case 580, JD310, or Cat 416. All are the smallest of their type, and all have our minimum requirements: 4x4, extendahoe, and a cab with AC & Heat.

When buying used, it is good to have a definite idea of what you want - and and then be prepared when an exceptional one comes up for sale. Any of those makes would have been fine, but it has to be in exceptional shape. Nothing else will do. Also, I feel more comfortable when buying a used machine from a private owner rather than a dealer.

The one we got had twice the hours I hoped for, but it was well-maintained with records and options.
Had it ten years now. Maintenance/repair has been about $3000 plus tires all around.

rScotty

I missed out on a Really Nice JD 310 very similar to what you bought by an hour. Almost bought a JCB but the parts availability versus others worried me. The old Ford works for what use it for and it now owes me nothing and imo has more than paid for itself- but I may look for a newer and much, Much better shape TLB but -with Cab, 4x4, extendahoe, and auxiliaries.

Agree, Overall Much better advice to spend more out of the gate and not have to work on a machine that will Never be worth much because it has been broken and re welded.

Wonder what the OP decided 6 acres total, but needs Backhoe capabilities plus most 3 point capabilities.

Choices, Choices

Last edited:
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #106  
Because of some health issues, I sometimes need help removing the backhoe and installing the 3 pt hitch arms, top and tilt etc. on my L47.
If I have a small job that requires the 3pt hitch sometimes I can use this adapter that I built back when I just had a Bobcat.
There's more than one way to skin a cat🙀

Attachments

• 37D5EE1B-584A-4F57-BC22-0CBE36A279EF.jpeg
    37D5EE1B-584A-4F57-BC22-0CBE36A279EF.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 67
  • 4AA65C86-6818-463C-B72F-B2DD03473014.jpeg
    4AA65C86-6818-463C-B72F-B2DD03473014.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 67
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #107  
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the towable backhoe.

I’ve got about 18 ac. of hill, mostly brush and < 12” trees with 2 ac. grass around the house/barn area. I needed a backhoe for firewood logging, trail maintenance, rock removing etc. but I did not want to have to remove it whenever I wanted to use the 3pth and pto so the Northern Tools NorTrac was a good compromise. Some one will come on here and say that is just a toy, but it is not, it is equipment that does a good job for what it is designed for, but like anything else if you push it you will break it. There are other towable backhoes available and they are all fairly simple machines to work on and with plus parts are readily available. Anyway it works for me.😊

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #108  
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the towable backhoe.

I’ve got about 18 ac. of hill, mostly brush and < 12” trees with 2 ac. grass around the house/barn area. I needed a backhoe for firewood logging, trail maintenance, rock removing etc. but I did not want to have to remove it whenever I wanted to use the 3pth and pto so the Northern Tools NorTrac was a good compromise. Some one will come on here and say that is just a toy, but it is not, it is equipment that does a good job for what it is designed for, but like anything else if you push it you will break it. There are other towable backhoes available and they are all fairly simple machines to work on and with plus parts are readily available. Anyway it works for me.😊

I think it is because of the new Rage in the mini/micro excavators from China, still well under $10k and you get tracks and a "360*" view.

Anything that beats a hand held shovel is Good in my book. :)

Last edited:
   / Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #109  
Some one will come on here and say that is just a toy, but it is not, it is equipment that does a good job for what it is designed for, but like anything else if you push it you will break it.
Okay, I'll be that someone.

Having tried using a BX25D backhoe it quickly became obvious that it weighs way too little to do any meaningful digging with.

At just under 1,000 lbs., the NorTrac is lighter yet. The specs mention lift capacity, but nothing about breakout force etc. There must be a trick to keep these light backhoes on the ground, but what is it?

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #110  
I've thought about the HF backhoe at times. How do you get it where you need it to work and then reposition it as you are digging with it?
I put my HF on a 5x10 trailer, take it to wherever I need to go. Has plenty of power, but that power can break the machine. So like many of us HF owners do, you reinforce the weak points and continue on..you move it around by the bucket, like a crab. Plenty of YouTube videos showing what it's capable of and how it moves around..