Backhoe

/ Backhoe #1  

chuck172

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SEH, Ford 4500TLB, Ford 8n
Just thinking about one day buying a backhoe for my dk40se, I guess the choice would be the woods bh90x, or the kioti kb2485.
Are there any big differences I should be aware of?

/ Backhoe #2  
Didn't see your question until now.

The Woods BH90x has a few advantages and differences. Both are very sturdy dependable backhoes.

The Woods has a four point attachment to a permanently mounted subframe. The Kioti system, at least on the KB2365, has most of the BH subframe attached permanently to the BH and only a few tabs attached to the tractor. Both systems work. I found the Kioti system easier and faster to attach but the Woods BH is easier to store as it doesn't have a five foot subframe sticking out the back.

The Woods can be ordered with a thumb (manual version is clumsy, hydraulic version very nice but very pricey) and also has a valve that allows you to set swing speed. Woods has two positions to mount the bucket, one for power and the other for speed. I haven't rechecked the specs but I recall the Woods is a little more powerful but not enough to make a real difference.

Either one will dig well and I don't recall anyone who owns either wishing they'd bought the other. I had the KB2365 on my CK20 and currently have the 90x on my DK40se.

/ Backhoe #3  
Adjustable swing speed would be great for beginners. I have the Kioti... it is very sensitive to control input. I'm getting better, but I let friends/family try it out and bucket movements are very fast and jerky at first. I could put reducers in the hydraulic lines, but am trying to learn finesse instead.

IslandTractor is right about the subframe on the Kioti, it makes the backhoe huge when off the tractor. So far I have not found a suitable storage location for it, so it 'lives' on the tractor and only comes off while 3pt implements are in use.

/ Backhoe
I have an old ford 4500 tlb. It's 45 years old now, and I'm really gentle with it. I'll have to eventually replace it. I'm worried the new backhoe would be more of a toy than a workhorse like the ford was. I've never operated a hoe like a woods or kioti.
I have seen lots of youtube clips on the john deere 110 tlb, but I think even that would be much stronger than I could expect with the Kioti.

/ Backhoe #5  
I have seen lots of youtube clips on the john deere 110 tlb, but I think even that would be much stronger than I could expect with the Kioti.
Yes, the backhoe on the 110TLB is almost double the specs of the Kioti KB2475. Lots bigger, too (longer reach, etc.)
110tlb vs kioti: both.jpg

/ Backhoe #6  
I think the Woods BH 90 is a little bigger, longer reach, stronger than the Kioti 2485.
But the Woods may also be more $$.
KB2485 Backhoe | Kioti Tractors
Product Details (Woods backhoe specs)

I have a Rhino 85 ( 8 1/2' digging depth) backhoe for my DK 35. Of course its not going to work like a commercial backhoe.
But I have no complaints about digging power and speed. Works good.

/ Backhoe
Yes, the backhoe on the 110TLB is almost double the specs of the Kioti KB2475. Lots bigger, too (longer reach, etc.)
110tlb vs kioti: View attachment 430767
It's clear the 110tlb's hoe is about twice the power of the kioti KB2475. I'd hate to invest 10k in something that I'll regret.
Although reading further, the woods bh-90x is much closer to the jd110 tlb

/ Backhoe #8  
I have an old ford 4500 tlb. It's 45 years old now, and I'm really gentle with it. I'll have to eventually replace it. I'm worried the new backhoe would be more of a toy than a workhorse like the ford was. I've never operated a hoe like a woods or kioti. I have seen lots of youtube clips on the john deere 110 tlb, but I think even that would be much stronger than I could expect with the Kioti.

No doubt the power of a CUT mounted BH will be substantially less than your Ford. However, the CUT based TLB will be a hundred times more effective than a shovel. It's all about perspective.

/ Backhoe #9  
I have a KB2465 backhoe that I kept before selling my Kioti CK20. I sold that tractor and kept the bacikhoe to recycle it on my new CK2510. I hiave dug at least 100 large stumps with it and never had a problem. I just dug a 200' trench of two feet deep for a electrical feed to my pole barn. I have dug footings and crawl space for additions to homes and just abouit everything else one could imagine. This Kioti backhoe has performed flawlessly now for seven years and I would repeat the purchase.

rim

/ Backhoe
Good to hear rimshot, I guess I should take them more serious.