Bacon wrapped, oven baked green beans

/ Bacon wrapped, oven baked green beans
I miss liver, heart & tongue. Always saved when we butchered moose. Dr says I'm better off missing them ........ at least the liver.

Tongue! Back in our poverty days when we were first married, we bought a tongue (It was very cheap) at the grocery store; didn't know how to cook it, so we boiled it. It didn't smell really good, and when it tried to crawl out of the pot, we threw it out. Same for our first and only attempt to fry some ground mutton. Now it REALLY smelled bad.

/ Bacon wrapped, oven baked green beans #22  
Don't like livers, but love the gizzards. Hearts I haven't seen for sale for 50 years. You used to be able to buy beef hearts, which I liked fried with gravy, but haven't seen them in the last 50 years either. I guess those of you that butcher you own beef are the only ones who get those goodies any more.

Yep . . . and I forgot about the gizzards, my brother and I used to fight over who got what . . . sisters didn't care . . . more for us. and I guess it was well over 50 years ago . . .:eek:

/ Bacon wrapped, oven baked green beans #23  
We grill asparagus wrapped in bacon and it's delicious. Never thought about green beans. You think it would work with long fresh green beans? I know a lot of times, it's difficult to get the bacon cooked, without overcooking what the bacon is wrapping. Maybe pre-cook the bacon by zapping in the microwave for just a bit before wrapping, to give it a head start. I'll have to experiment with this one.

We grill bacon wrapped venison fillets all the time. The key is to pay no mind to how well the bacon is cooked, just pay attention to the venison. After cooking, slice through both the bacon and venison and gently toss them together on the carving board to mix the bacon fat and flavor through the sliced venison. When you eat them on your plate, eat the venison and cooked bacon and leave any uncooked bacon on your plate.

I usually cook my asparagus on the grill; I line my grill pan with foil, and add about a 1/4 stick of butter and a dash of garlic salt. It's wonderful, but now that you mention it, I'm going to add some bacon next time. P.S. I always buy the thin sliced bacon; it cooks better and faster.

/ Bacon wrapped, oven baked green beans #25  
I usually cook my asparagus on the grill; I line my grill pan with foil, and add about a 1/4 stick of butter and a dash of garlic salt. It's wonderful, but now that you mention it, I'm going to add some bacon next time. P.S. I always buy the thin sliced bacon; it cooks better and faster.

:licking: . . . yes 2Lane always bacon.

:licking: . . . yes 2Lane always bacon.

Ok, for you bacon lovers...this is my own recipe, and it produces the best pork tenderloins I have ever eaten. It also works wonders on a pork rib end roast and chicken breasts.

Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin on the Smoker

One pork loin, sliced bacon and dry BBQ rubb (preferablyDG's #2 rib rubb)

Brine:

4 cups water

1/4 cup Kosher salt

1/4 cup light brown sugar

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tsp Thyme

2 tbsp peppercorns

2 tbsp rib rubb

1 tbsp Sesame oil

2 tbsp lime or lemon juice

Mix brine and place into a 1 gallon freezer bag along with the tenderloin. Allow to marinate in frige, at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Remove tenderloin, rinse and dry with a paper towel. Place on cookie sheet, spray with olive oil and add a generous coating of dry rubb. Wrap with bacon, secure with toothpicks and sprinkle rubb on bacon. Preferably, allow to sit in frige for about 4 hours; remove and allow to come to room temp. Place on smoker at 250 degrees until internal temp reaches 160 degrees; about 2 and 1/2 hours. Some say 140 degrees is done, but not for me. Use your own discretion...my bacon wasn't even done when it reached 140.

/ Bacon wrapped, oven baked green beans #27  
Thanks 2Lane!

You're welcome!