Bad Boy Rogue zero turn mower

/ Bad Boy Rogue zero turn mower #11  
My Poulan 46 takes care of my two and 1/2 acre lawn just fine and fer me money spent on
my machine shop foundry and forge habit as well as my tractor and other toys is
my personal preference YMMV....................

Personally I wanted a mower that would mow my 8 acre lawn in just over 2 hours and last me 25 years.
So a 35 HP, 72" cutting deck commercial duty zero turn is what I bought.
Built heavy duty and will mow at 14 MPH.
A Poulan 46 may work for you, but certainly not something I would consider.

Apples and Oranges.

Most will agree a $10k+ ZT to cut 2.5 acres of a typical lawn would be silly, and using a 46" rider to cut 8 acres would be silly.

/ Bad Boy Rogue zero turn mower
Well I have a 3 acre lawn that looks like a golf course, so the Rogue gets the job done. Plus I tend to keep my tools for a long time.
I mean how many of you wax your tractors?

/ Bad Boy Rogue zero turn mower #13  
Well I have a 3 acre lawn that looks like a golf course, so the Rogue gets the job done. Plus I tend to keep my tools for a long time.
I mean how many of you wax your tractors?
I tend to keep my equipment a long time also.
Every fall my tractor gets pressure washed, brought in to the garage.
Gets serviced, gets any thing it needs for parts.
Then it gets any paint scratch's repainted and waxed.
I do it every year, leaves my garage every winter looking and working like new. (I've owned this tractor 20 years)
My zero turns get the same.

Last edited:
   / Bad Boy Rogue zero turn mower #14  
Apples and Oranges.

Most will agree a $10k+ ZT to cut 2.5 acres of a typical lawn would be silly, and using a 46" rider to cut 8 acres would be silly.
Did you read post # 6.
He never asked how many acres the OP was mowing

/ Bad Boy Rogue zero turn mower #15  
I mow about 3 acres but it's not one big lawn; it's 4 separate areas.
I went with the Hustler Raptor SDX with a 54" deck. It was the cheapest with the that my Kioti dealer carried with semi-commercial drives. I got the 54" deck so it'd fit on my 5' wide trailer. It was $5,200. I added an aftermarket suspension seat base as this has no suspension.

It cuts very nice.

/ Bad Boy Rogue zero turn mower #16  
I bought a Rogue early this spring after doing a bunch of research. It was the most highly featured ZT I could find that was commercial quality and in that price range (i.e. not a $18,000 Deere). Key features for me were the engine HP, EFI (I have the Yamaha engine), separate hydraulic pumps/motors, large tires, HDAP-style tires, beefy deck construction and, primarily, suspension. Mine is the 72" deck model.

Overall it has been great and lived up to my expectations. Plenty of power, nice ride over my bumpy country lawn. I can cut my mowing time for my 7 acres down from 4.5 hours with my x758/60" deck garden tractor to around 3 hours. That's meaningful to me. The suspension is great for smoothing out the ride and allowing me to mow faster. I have both the Rogue's front and rear suspension and the suspension seat.

However, I did find that the cut quality was not up to my expectations. I've battled continual issues with it leaving strips of grass in the path of the front caster wheels. A set of better high lift blades, sharper blades and a new adjustable front caster arm setup that BB provided* free of charge has made considerable improvements but it isn't perfect. With a deck that doesn't float as well as my Deere's deck and gauge wheels that don't extend down as close to the ground it also allows a cut that can sometimes 'scoop' when the mower goes over bumps or comes to a stop and the suspension compresses.

The other thing I learned is that while the HDAP-style tires provide better traction to really help me mow along the sloped alongside my driveway and the county road ditch they do tear up the grass more frequently while turning. In hindsight, that should have been a no-brainer. I've learned to adjust my driving habits to minimize damage.

i-dHV2GW7-X2.jpg

*After working with my dealer on the cut issue I contacted BB and they hooked me up with a pre-production set of arms that I believe will be standard on these mowers in 2022. The concept is that the caster wheels can be adjusted so they aren't running inline with the outer deck spindles. The idea is that the grass under the blades when the blade is parallel with the path of the mower has the least blade contact. The rest of the blade circular path gets more 'blade time' as the blade rotates. I think therefore it gets the least lift. Why this is an issue on this mower versus any other garden tractor I've ever used is unclear, but it is what it is. Bad Boy has been great to work with on this issue, both my dealer and corporate.

/ Bad Boy Rogue zero turn mower #17  
Look into Spartan Mowers:

They were started by Robert Foster. He was one of the original founders of Bad Boy Mowers but wasn't happy with the direction the company went and started another venture (he is concerned with mowing quality, not quantity of mowers sold, which is at odds with current Bad Boy management).

I had just bought a Deere Z900 when the Spartans first hit the market. After testing out a Spartan I will be very seriously considering them to replace the Deere in the coming years.

/ Bad Boy Rogue zero turn mower #18  
Purchased the Rogue 61 a couple weeks ago, due to all the rain we've had here lately, I have only been able to mow with it once, but I did get lights installed, as my wife often mows after dusk/sundown for some strange reason. Lights were originally purchased to install on my tractor, but used them on the mower instead, will reorder the same type for the tractor.
One thing I have noticed is blade selection seems limited on bad boy in general, let alone the odd 61 and 54 inch sizes.
Oregon blades don't list BB, (I'm looking for gator blades) and Amazon compatibility seems hit or miss, mostly miss. They may say it is for a 61, but measuring the actual blade length shows otherwise. Edit: Went out and measured, blades are 21" so these should work, Oregon 396-727, Gator® G6™ Blade, 21" | Oregon Products and are also available on amazon in 3 or 6 packs. Amazon.com : 6PK Oregon 396-727 G6 Blades Replacement for Great Dane 61" D18036, GDU10232 & Bad Boy Outlaw 61" Cut 038-6081-00 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Just the initial light test between rain, not specifically aimed yet and lawn not mowed.
BB_lights.jpg

Last edited:
   / Bad Boy Rogue zero turn mower #19  
Would you mind posting what you actually used for the lights? Looks like you have a lightbar and a couple spots? I have wanted some on my Rogue but didn't want to spend the $250-ish for the BB kit.

Thanks,
Rob

/ Bad Boy Rogue zero turn mower #20  
Sure, I purchased this kit, and I didn't use any of the wiring that came with it, so next time (for the tractor) I may see if I can get the lights without the harness and save a few bucks. If not, still cheap, $63
They aren't really 420w, maybe they claim that as non LED equivalent, I measured them just under 10 amps all combined, so 120-ish watts, lots of light regardless.

Last edited: