Bad Knees

/ Bad Knees
I was sick for a week from the anesthesia

People surely do react differently to anesthesia. And of course I don't know why. Our youngest daughter is very slow to get fully awake coming out from under anesthesia. My wife has only been put under twice in her life. She's slow to get fully awake and nauseous when she starts waking up. And I've been put under at least 13 times in my life, the last being 4/16/2010 to remove the wisdom teeth on the right side (only a local for the ones on the left side several years ago) and I don't recall ever being nauseous when I awoke. Anesthesia, whether local or otherwise, has just never really bothered me.

For knees, I wonder why they can't just use a local. In August '97, I had carpal tunnel surgery on the right hand with a local. The doctor said it was the worst he'd ever seen, and he usually waited 3 months to do the other hand, but I talked him into doing it one month later and he had a different anesthesiologist who put me plumb under.

Then in July '98, I had a hernia repaired on the left side with an epidural, so I was able to watch the surgery in a mirror, and visit with the surgeon while he worked. That was interesting.

I'm like you about surgery being the last resort

Bob, I use Orthopedic Associates, a group of 9 orthopedic doctors with different specialties and the one I saw when I had plantar fasciitis, was also one who considered surgery as a last resort. I don't really know what causes the plantar fasciitis, but it was extremely painful and took almost a year to completely recover.

/ Bad Knees #22  
"Then in July '98, I had a hernia repaired on the left side with an epidural, so I was able to watch the surgery in a mirror, and visit with the surgeon while he worked. That was interesting." >>

Now I could not do that !!!!! What if you said somehting that made the surgeon start laughing....ouch !...I had a cyst removed once and the doc wanted to show it to me...I said " No Thanks " LOL

/ Bad Knees
Bob, the surgeon didn't know I was watching until I said something about what he was doing, and kind of startled him.:laughing: He said, "How can you see what I'm doing?" So I told him that big light fixture over the operating table was a very good mirror. He looked at it and said, "It sure is. I never noticed that before." So he said I could do the next one myself.:laughing:

/ Bad Knees #24  
People surely do react differently to anesthesia. And of course I don't know why. Our youngest daughter is very slow to get fully awake coming out from under anesthesia. My wife has only been put under twice in her life. She's slow to get fully awake and nauseous when she starts waking up. And I've been put under at least 13 times in my life, the last being 4/16/2010 to remove the wisdom teeth on the right side (only a local for the ones on the left side several years ago) and I don't recall ever being nauseous when I awoke. Anesthesia, whether local or otherwise, has just never really bothered me.

For knees, I wonder why they can't just use a local. In August '97, I had carpal tunnel surgery on the right hand with a local. The doctor said it was the worst he'd ever seen, and he usually waited 3 months to do the other hand, but I talked him into doing it one month later and he had a different anesthesiologist who put me plumb under.

Then in July '98, I had a hernia repaired on the left side with an epidural, so I was able to watch the surgery in a mirror, and visit with the surgeon while he worked. That was interesting.

Bob, I use Orthopedic Associates, a group of 9 orthopedic doctors with different specialties and the one I saw when I had plantar fasciitis, was also one who considered surgery as a last resort. I don't really know what causes the plantar fasciitis, but it was extremely painful and took almost a year to completely recover.

Bob, the surgeon didn't know I was watching until I said something about what he was doing, and kind of startled him.:laughing: He said, "How can you see what I'm doing?" So I told him that big light fixture over the operating table was a very good mirror. He looked at it and said, "It sure is. I never noticed that before." So he said I could do the next one myself.:laughing:

Bird, I would have passed out...geeez, he was startled ? Yikes...what if he would have cut the wrong thing or stitched your thing a ma jig to your dillywaddle ? Know what I mean...You have more guts than me..Promise me this ..If you have the knee surgery and you wake up while it is in progress..say nothing...or you may end up bow legged..:laughing:

/ Bad Knees #25  
Bird, For the last couple of years I live with knee pain in both knees, taking both anti-inflammatories and asprin. When I fianally went to the doc he offered the shots with no garrentee and bad odds, he said my other choice was one at a time or both at once. I had both replaced mid November and couldn't be happier, I was able to use a cane in a week on the tractor by Christmas. I'm still not 100% but I'm way ahead of where I was last summer. I'm 55 and I guess if they wear out I'll just have to do it agian.

/ Bad Knees
Glad to hear it's going well for you, Randy. The new AARP Bulletin came today and there was a story with a different topic, but they mentioned the lady had knee replacement surgery that resulted in an infection and had to amputate her leg.:eek: That sort of thing is not encouraging.:(

/ Bad Knees #27  
Bird, not sure about the drug, but a friend of mine had what sounds to be a similiar bout of injections in his shoulder (had Cortizone shots many times, this was different). He says he still has some pain, but about 2 months after final shot he has more mobility and sleep. I wish you well with the treatments!

/ Bad Knees #28  
Bird ,Sorry to hear of your knee problem.Only people I know of just did the replacement and no complaints.As we age I guess it,s all gunna fall apart,but thats the blessing and curse all ay once.I intend to leave this sphere with the parts I began with but thats just me of course.Best of luck with your treatments and hope it get,s you back in the pink!:thumbsup:Dave

/ Bad Knees #29  
Bird, I just thought did your knees get bad from scrubbing your shop floor?Just kidding of course but I have never seen a shop as neat and tidy as yours:thumbsup:Dave

/ Bad Knees
Bird, I just thought did your knees get bad from scrubbing your shop floor?Just kidding of course but I have never seen a shop as neat and tidy as yours:thumbsup:Dave

Dave, I'm too lazy to sweep. I had plenty of air hoses to reach anywheere in the shop (40' x 60') and always just used a blow gun to blow the dirt out the door.:laughing: