Bad Knocking Sound Coming from 2910 Engine !!??

/ Bad Knocking Sound Coming from 2910 Engine !!?? #11  
Don,
You may want to check your fuel. It almost sounds like you got water in the fuel and as we all know water don't burn very well.
Check the filter glass and you will see the water at the bottom and the fuel on top if there is any.
Good luck
Dale

/ Bad Knocking Sound Coming from 2910 Engine !!??
Dale,

Good point ... and when the service manager at my dealer called me today, this was also one of the posibilities he mentioned as well. The thing is that I haven't added any fuel as yet ... so the fuel that is in the tank originally came from the dealer. I checked the fuel filter, but all I could see was a uniform pinkish color (and I don't know whether that's the fuel color, or whether that's the tint of the housing). However, if I did get a "slug" of water at some point, that could very well explain why the knocking lasted for a while, and then seemingly disappeared.

In any case, the service manager suggested that I put 10 hours on the tractor (assuming I don't get the knocking noise again), pull the engine oil filter and ship it to him. He will then cut it open and see if there is an inordinate amount of metal shavings and particles. Based on that, we'll go from there.

Don

/ Bad Knocking Sound Coming from 2910 Engine !!?? #13  
Ya gotta HATE problems like that! Three winters ago I was plowing snow with my Case DC and half way up the drive the trans started knocking like all-get-out. I stopped and realized it was coming from the belt pulley shaft and headed back to the barn with this thing knocking like crazy. Didn't think I was gunna make it back to the farm at all (by the way it sounded). Sitting in neutral with the clutch out it was really banging. I tried to localize the sound (right side or left side) using a stethascope, and while walking around to the other side, It just stopped banging, as quick as it started at had stopped. I went back out and finished plowing without any problems. The problem has never occured again in many many hours of plowing, disking, mowing since.

Steve

/ Bad Knocking Sound Coming from 2910 Engine !!?? #14  
Pink oil, fuel, hydraulic oil all tell me you have water contamination. It is to bad it came from a dealer but we get bad fuel from time to time to. It will take some time but you can run it out.

/ Bad Knocking Sound Coming from 2910 Engine !!?? #15  
Don,
If it is water you may want to either drain the tank and put in new fuel or add a diesel fuel conditioner that will disperse the water and allow it to pass to the exhaust pipe without knocking.

/ Bad Knocking Sound Coming from 2910 Engine !!??
Art,

OK ... I take it that diesel fuel should not have a pink color to it, and that the fuel filter housing is clear (and not tinted pink). Anyway, I plan to get some new fuel tomorrow morning, along with the fuel conditioner that Dale suggested. However, in the meantime, can I simply pull the fuel filter bowl off and pour the contents out (if there is any water in the bottom), and reattach it, or will this cause me to get air in the fuel system (which I understand is a no-no for diesel engines)?

Don

/ Bad Knocking Sound Coming from 2910 Engine !!?? #17  
Don
I looked at filter on my 2910 tractor. It appears to have a paper element in it. Paper will not allow fuel to pass trough if it is full of water. This probably is why your tractor is not running well. Remove filter from tractor and allow it to set in the open-air (fuel should not run out if fuel tank is less than ½ full). This should allow water to dry out of element. Clean filter with kerosene. Fill the filter bowl with fuel before installing it back on tractor.
You may have to bleed fuel system to get air out of it. See your owners manual if it is required. Bleeding system is not hard to do if you follow manual.
Hope this helps.

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Bad Knocking Sound Coming from 2910 Engine !!?? #18  
Don, some diesel fuel systems require loosening various points on the system to bleed the air out, but I think your manual will be the same as my B2710, and there's practically nothing to it. I've changed the fuel filter on mine, and the only thing the manual says to do to "bleed" the fuel system after reassembling the fuel filter is to open the fuel cock, start the engine, run it 30 seconds, and shut it down.

Bird

/ Bad Knocking Sound Coming from 2910 Engine !!?? #19  
I use off-road fuel and that does have a pink-ish color. (at least up here in NH) Just FYI. You would know if you were using off-road fuel. Here it is 3-4 cents per gallon cheaper as well.

Rich S.
18-42090-rps_sig1.gif

/ Bad Knocking Sound Coming from 2910 Engine !!?? #20  
Water would make white smoke,wouldnt it?A piece of carbon bouncing around on a piston will make ya think the world is coming to an end too.