Bad news on my TC33D

/ Bad news on my TC33D
Did you see anything that would have caused the loss of drive after the "pop"? Like damaged splines?
No damage to splines that we could see

I see some of the break was rusted so it had been cracked for a while.
Yes, as mentioned in the post that included the pictures

Have you contracted any welders to have it welded back together? I have a 60 HP 4 Wheel Drive tractor welded back for $1,700. They had to pull it in half weld it up and bolt it back. The guy did a fantastic job. I have no idea what caused mine to break. I have seen on some forums that the bolts weren't tightened from the factor. But those guys were just chatting about loose bolts, their tractors didn't break in half.

I discussed that with a local welder. He is really good at what he does, and has done a good bit of welding on castings (including some for me). Whether he welds it or I replace it, the tractor needed to be pulled apart. A used clutch housing costs $1000. His recommendation was that for the price, since it had to come apart anyway, a good used one would be the way to go. He was concerned that welding the casting back together in what is obviously a highly stressed part could lead to further breakage.

Last edited:
   / Bad news on my TC33D #52  
No damage to splines that we could see

Yes, as mentioned in the post that included the pictures

I discussed that with a local welder. He is really good at what he does, and has done a good bit of welding on castings (including some for me). Whether he welds it or I replace it, the tractor needed to be pulled apart. A used clutch housing costs $1000. His recommendation was that for the price, since it had to come apart anyway, a good used one would be the way to go. He was concerned that welding the casting back together in what is obviously a highly stressed part could lead to further breakage.
Would it be possible to add some more reinforcement to the frame the entire length of the tractor as long as you have it out in the open.

/ Bad news on my TC33D
Would it be possible to add some more reinforcement to the frame the entire length of the tractor as long as you have it out in the open.
That's what the subframe does. However, there are still limits. As mentioned elsewhere (either in this thread or in the one about backhoes on a CUT), I wonder if part of the problem was that some of the bolts may have worked their way loose. I did not disassemble the tractor myself, but the guy who did mentioned finding a couple of loose bolts.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #54  
I too heard of loose bolts being a problem. I would then check the torque of those bolts every year just to be on the safe side. I never did have a loose bolt on my TC33D though.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #55  
How are the repairs coming along - did you source or get the used casting yet?

/ Bad news on my TC33D
How are the repairs coming along - did you source or get the used casting yet?
I ordered a used casting from Long Lane Tractors in Elizabethtown, PA. The tractor is mostly back together and the repair guy has given it a test run. No leaks, seems to be working well. Need to make an adjustment to the HST: If I push it back to neutral, it will stay there, but it won't return all the way to neutral on it's own (but that's a problem it's had for some years now... it would just get close and then creep a bit unless I gave it a little help finding actual neutral.)

Mostly Back together.jpg

Last edited:
   / Bad news on my TC33D #58  
You'll be back posting pictures of your tractor and wood in no time. 👍

/ Bad news on my TC33D #59  
Good deal and now you have a working machine again.

Good decision to repair and nice you have a local guy that takes on these jobs.

/ Bad news on my TC33D
All back together and back home from the shop. I don't have the final bill yet, but it will certainly be well under what the dealership estimated.

Need to put the chains on and swap to the bucket to clean up the driveway a bit tomorrow.

TC33D Back home.jpg