Bad news on my TC33D

/ Bad news on my TC33D
Just got a call back from Scott at Long Lane (returning my call, which makes me think I wrote down the wrong company name for my earlier post). He seems the most knowledgeable of all of those with whom I've spoken so far. He says the ...440 number fits TC33D tractors older than 2002. the ...115 number fits all TC33D tractors. Mine is a 2001, so either one should fit.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #32  
Sorry to hear about your tractor. My $0.02 would be to fix what you have and run it for a while, then when stupid prices settle a bit, sell it and upgrade. Or, if you use the hoe a lot, take it off and sell it and then buy a mini excavator. That's what I ended up doing.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #33  
I got some bad news about my NH TC33D yesterday.

Two weeks ago, I was out working on the far corner of my property when I heard a POP! Engine was still running fine, but I lost all power to the wheels. Shifting into various ranges did nothing. I decide to push myself backwards enough to get the tractor to the trail intersection a short distance behind me, where it would be easier to get to to tow the tractor home. I pushed back about 2 feet, when all of the sudden, the wheels started working again. I drove it back home and called the dealer to pick it up to check it over in case something serious had happened

With the holiday weekend, deer season in full swing, and some jobs ahead of me in their line-up, they were not able to get to it until yesterday. I got a call from the service department guy, who explained that the transmission housing had cracked. I went down there today to check it out and speak to the service tech who had looked at it. He said that the backhoe subframe and the limb-risers and falling object protection I had added were the only reason the tractor was still in one piece.

He estimated that the repairs could run around $6-7000, and that was IF everything came apart and went back together easily. If they found other damage when they got in to it, it could be more. (This is using new parts. They have not yet looked for a used housing. The new housing runs about $2700, if I'm correctly remembering what they told me. That's included in the $6-7000 rough estimate.)

So now I'm faced with a dilemma: do I repair the tractor (and hope there isn't more about to go one a 20+ year old tractor), or do a go for a new one and jump up a size to what I probably should have been using all along for my work in the woods?

New tractors are pretty darn expensive these days. My TC 33D was running well otherwise.

Any guesses as to what a 2001 NH TC33D with loader would be worth if it did not have this major issue? If I thought I could get my money back out of it, I might repair it, run it for a bit, and then sell it in a year or so and get a new one then. That's assuming I could expect to get at least the repair cost back out of it when I sold. It does have some nice modifications for working in the forest, which might add value for the right buyer.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #34  

Two weeks ago, I was out working on the far corner of my property when I heard a POP! Engine was still running fine, but I lost all power to the wheels. Shifting into various ranges did nothing. I decide to push myself backwards enough to get the tractor to the trail intersection a short distance behind me, where it would be easier to get to to tow the tractor home. I pushed back about 2 feet, when all of the sudden, the wheels started working again. I drove it back home and called the dealer to pick it up to check it over in case something serious had happened

With the holiday weekend, deer season in full swing, and some jobs ahead of me in their line-up, they were not able to get to it until yesterday. I got a call from the service department guy, who explained that the transmission housing had cracked. I went down there today to check it out and speak to the service tech who had looked at it. He said that the backhoe subframe and the limb-risers and falling object protection I had added were the only reason the tractor was still in one piece.

He estimated that the repairs could run around $6-7000, and that was IF everything came apart and went back together easily. If they found other damage when they got in to it, it could be more. (This is using new parts. They have not yet looked for a used housing. The new housing runs about $2700, if I'm correctly remembering what they told me. That's included in the $6-7000 rough estimate.)

So now I'm faced with a dilemma: do I repair the tractor (and hope there isn't more about to go one a 20+ year old tractor), or do a go for a new one and jump up a size to what I probably should have been using all along for my work in the woods?

New tractors are pretty darn expensive these days. My TC 33D was running well otherwise.

Any guesses as to what a 2001 NH TC33D with loader would be worth if it did not have this major issue? If I thought I could get my money back out of it, I might repair it, run it for a bit, and then sell it in a year or so and get a new one then. That's assuming I could expect to get at least the repair cost back out of it when I sold. It does have some nice modifications for working in the forest, which might add value for the right buyer.
I had the exact same issue with a '99 TC33D with Backhoe and FEL about 5 years ago but I live in Panama. At the time the hoe was not attached but had weights in the back.
The NH dealer (only 1) here wont touch my tractor because they don't sell that model. Found a used housing for $1200 (plus $400 freight) as they were no new ones available at that point.
I found a heavy equipment mechanic to switch things over but I got to say the tractor was never the same after that. It worked OK for a while but now it just has no power...It is now sitting in the corner of my workshop covered with a tarp waiting for a competent mechanic to take it apart so we can diagnose the problem. I am suspecting at least the hydraulic pump. It could be just a seal kit job but suspecting it probably is more.
I ended up getting instead a used Volvo 5ton excavator that I paid $25K 5 years ago and ordered a Chinese 70HP tractor (for $8000 all in) with shuttle transmission and FEL that now has over 2000hrs on it which we are very happy with. I had paid $35K (CAD) for the TC33D in 1999. I know there is a lot of bad reputation going about Chinese made things but in my experience you get what you pay for. They have different qualities and if you are only looking for the cheapest that is what you are bound to get.
For example I got new tracks for my Volvo in China for $1300 for both...They are still on. Why China ? the reason is simple. The Volvo dealer here was quoting $16,000 for the same.

Now of course your situation is different as you have a NH dealer but with that come higher mechanic costs. I would say cut your loses...sell the old one for parts and get yourself a new one. Maybe take a look at Chinese models. You will be surprised at the quality and low price. And the issue about not having a dealer is kind of moot IMO. You can probably get around 80hp with a cab for less than 15K delivered to the US. Our has been serviced by the same mechanic that does our cars.
An additional note about Chinese goods. Many so called "American" products are composed of mainly Chinese parts.
6 months ago we were due to change cars and we got curious about a Chinese brand :Changan. We went to try one and fell in love. It drives just like a Beemer X5 that we drove as a rental a few months ago but seems a bit larger. Same level of comfort and quality of materials for 1 third of the price with 3 years complete warranty and 3 years service included. It is fully loaded with semi autonomous driving, self parking (with or without driver), remote driving and amazing 360 camera...and the AC comes out though the seats...all for $35K.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #35  

I've seen them at auction in the neighborhood of 15 - 18,000 with low hours. By that token I personally would fix it. But then I do my own repair work. I had that very thing happen on an old Case 530 backhoe back in the 80's. I found a used case in a boneyard and changed it out. That was a job! but it worked fine afterwords and way cheaper than replacing it.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #36  
I had a 1999 TC33D and I had heard of some people breaking the case. Many of those had hoes on them. I never had an issue and traded mine on the Toolcat. The dealer gave me $16k for it and it had a FEL and MMM on it. Ask the dealer if new cases are even available anymore. Being that you had support framing I'm thinking that you didn't break much like others did.
Yeah, I've always heard that hoes are trouble!:oops:

/ Bad news on my TC33D #37  
I had the exact same issue with a '99 TC33D with Backhoe and FEL about 5 years ago but I live in Panama. At the time the hoe was not attached but had weights in the back.
The NH dealer (only 1) here wont touch my tractor because they don't sell that model. Found a used housing for $1200 (plus $400 freight) as they were no new ones available at that point.
I found a heavy equipment mechanic to switch things over but I got to say the tractor was never the same after that. It worked OK for a while but now it just has no power...It is now sitting in the corner of my workshop covered with a tarp waiting for a competent mechanic to take it apart so we can diagnose the problem. I am suspecting at least the hydraulic pump. It could be just a seal kit job but suspecting it probably is more.
I ended up getting instead a used Volvo 5ton excavator that I paid $25K 5 years ago and ordered a Chinese 70HP tractor (for $8000 all in) with shuttle transmission and FEL that now has over 2000hrs on it which we are very happy with. I had paid $35K (CAD) for the TC33D in 1999. I know there is a lot of bad reputation going about Chinese made things but in my experience you get what you pay for. They have different qualities and if you are only looking for the cheapest that is what you are bound to get.
For example I got new tracks for my Volvo in China for $1300 for both...They are still on. Why China ? the reason is simple. The Volvo dealer here was quoting $16,000 for the same.

Now of course your situation is different as you have a NH dealer but with that come higher mechanic costs. I would say cut your loses...sell the old one for parts and get yourself a new one. Maybe take a look at Chinese models. You will be surprised at the quality and low price. And the issue about not having a dealer is kind of moot IMO. You can probably get around 80hp with a cab for less than 15K delivered to the US. Our has been serviced by the same mechanic that does our cars.
An additional note about Chinese goods. Many so called "American" products are composed of mainly Chinese parts.
6 months ago we were due to change cars and we got curious about a Chinese brand :Changan. We went to try one and fell in love. It drives just like a Beemer X5 that we drove as a rental a few months ago but seems a bit larger. Same level of comfort and quality of materials for 1 third of the price with 3 years complete warranty and 3 years service included. It is fully loaded with semi autonomous driving, self parking (with or without driver), remote driving and amazing 360 camera...and the AC comes out though the seats...all for $35K.
I can only speak to the Law difference on a new china tractor . In the US it has to pass tier four emission standards. If a person choses to self import they could end up with a seized and non compliant tractor nightmare after paying for the tractor and shipping. That said, still have a Shanghai 55 HP tractor that has been a Very Good machine and still is with almost 30 years of use.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #38  
Sorry to hear about your problem I had the same issue back in the early '70s with a sato tractor just my two cents I would try to find the same tractor with a blown engine and switch engines or sell it off for parts and cut your loss it will never be the same and it's an old tractor check out the t y m Branson and coyote they are more robust tractor heavier built if you need a backhoe 3-point back hoe have a lot of issues as you have had forget the backhoe sell it off and buy a small excavator a small excavator will out work a 3-point backhoe but that is just my opinion I know I'll probably get a lot of flack from other people on this site which I hope it doesn't happen good luck best wishes and God bless

/ Bad news on my TC33D #39  
Tough luck John w your machine.
Funny about prices. They never seem to come down unless ppl stop buying and that doesn't seem to be happening.

You're always ahead with a fix even it ends up as a 10K repair if you're gonna sell it yourself.
The sale of the tractor absorbs the fix hit plus should put some money in your pocket to put toward the new machine.

Another question: with the tractor as is, is your dealer willing to put a trade figure on it toward something else he has?

You may up dead even and not have to fix it.
Lets say he gives you 5K as is. He can fix it for another 2 to 4K so he'll have room to make a profit.
You in turn have just made up about 12K not having the fix expenditure plus the 5K he may show you for it.
If you were gonna fix it for say 7 and sell it eventually for 12, there's the 5K again but it comes later than sooner.

/ Bad news on my TC33D #40  
That's a big time bummer, I think you are on the right track with buying newer and trying to get it fixed. It isn't a throw away tractor. Don't remember reading the hours on it. I do believe that it is the same as the Case IH DX33 as was mentioned but those are even more rare than yours.