balancing cylinder

/ balancing cylinder #1  

musselmark

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 NH TN75DA
How do I go about plumbing a cylinder so the speed it moves in and out is the same. Is there some sort of bypass valve that will divert a portion of fluid to the opposite end perhaps. I am using it to turn a boom and if an inexperienced employee fully moves the spool valve it swings wildly in one direction but is fine the other way. I usually just move spool valve a little bit to control the speed.

/ balancing cylinder #2  
You could put flow reducers on it which would limit the speed regardless of the position of the valve.

/ balancing cylinder #3  
They look like this. These are the adjustable type, which is what you want for your application.

Attachments

• SSQA 2-11-16 002.JPG
    SSQA 2-11-16 002.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 119
  • SSQA 2-7-16 006.JPG
    SSQA 2-7-16 006.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 97
   / balancing cylinder #4  
I put these on my stump grinder to slow the movement down they work great.Without them my grinder swings way too fast

/ balancing cylinder #5  
How do I go about plumbing a cylinder so the speed it moves in and out is the same. Is there some sort of bypass valve that will divert a portion of fluid to the opposite end perhaps. I am using it to turn a boom and if an inexperienced employee fully moves the spool valve it swings wildly in one direction but is fine the other way. I usually just move spool valve a little bit to control the speed.

The volume of the fixed end of the cylinder is always larger than the live end as a function of length, so balancing this will require either two cylinders in opposition or complicated valving.

/ balancing cylinder
The volume of the fixed end of the cylinder is always larger than the live end as a function of length, so balancing this will require either two cylinders in opposition or complicated valving.

I realize that but was thinking if there was a way to put say 30% of the oil into the fixed end and 70% into the movable end when retracting and then a check valve would allow full flow into fixed end when extending. when retracting the 30% would just flow back to spool valve with the rest of the oil in there. I tried the adjustable needle valves and they slow down both actions because they limit the oil coming out as well as going in, maybe if I plumbed one of them with a bypass check valve so it would only work going in and not out

/ balancing cylinder #7  
   / balancing cylinder
Cool, I didn't realize you can get them with check valve built in. Thanks

/ balancing cylinder #9  
You're welcome - BTW, I didn't mean that the valve needs to be right AT the cylinder, just in that leg of the circuit - putting the flow control on the OTHER port of the cylinder (but same flow direction) would keep the cylinder operating at higher pressures due to the restriction being downstream from the cylinder...