Bale Spear - Front or Rear??

/ Bale Spear - Front or Rear?? #1  

Snapper Head

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L3940 HST-3
Looks like I will be handling round bales much sooner than anticipated. So what do I need to consider when deciding whether to get one for the 3 point hitch, or for the FEL, aside from the obvious difference in lifting heights.

Kubota L3940 with FEL & Bucket, 3rd function remote. Remote hydraulic available at rear.

Thanks, this place has helped me tremendously.

Big Al

/ Bale Spear - Front or Rear?? #2  
Looks like I will be handling round bales much sooner than anticipated. So what do I need to consider when deciding whether to get one for the 3 point hitch, or for the FEL, aside from the obvious difference in lifting heights.

Kubota L3940 with FEL & Bucket, 3rd function remote. Remote hydraulic available at rear.

Big Al

You should be ok either way you go. Just remember if you get a loader fork make shure you have a counter balance on the back.:thumbsup:

/ Bale Spear - Front or Rear?? #3  

Big Al

Ideally get one for both ends.

/ Bale Spear - Front or Rear??
You should be ok either way you go. Just remember if you get a loader fork make shure you have a counter balance on the back.:thumbsup:

I've got ballast box, though I haven't weighed it yet.

Big Al

/ Bale Spear - Front or Rear?? #6  
Also depends on size of bales. The largest round bales tippically 6x6 will weigh in at about 1700lbs average depending on what's baled and how tight the bale is. If you just need to move them off of a field then a 3pt would be faster and you would be able to see where you're driving. If you need to load them on to a trailer then you'll need the front mounted spear. At this point I use a front mounted spear and with the weight of my tractor I don't need any rear ballast. It is a pain to drive where I need to drop the bale for the animals and if I had a lot of obsticales I probably would be backing all the way. Eventually I will be making a rear spear just for the ease of moving them in the field.

Good luck.

/ Bale Spear - Front or Rear?? #7  
If you're going to unload the bales off of a trailer or the back of a pick-up, you're going to need a front end loader spear. Also, if you're going to have to put the bales over a fence, you're going to need a front end loader spear.

/ Bale Spear - Front or Rear?? #8  
Trust me - get both. But if you can only get one, get the FEL spear; it gives you much more flexibility. And watch the auctions; you should be able to pick up a 3pt spear for less than $100

/ Bale Spear - Front or Rear?? #9  
If you are going to double stack in the barn, you need it on the loader. If you are putting the bales inside of a round bale feeder, the loader is a lot nicer since it can put the bales in directly. With the three point, you have to lift up the feeder and that gets real hard if it's frozen to the ground :(

I think you have more stability on uneven ground with it on the 3pt.

I've never had a proper loader spear, I've always ended up chaining a 3pt spear to the bucket. That never worked very well. But depending on the size of your bucket, it might work for you, or some people weld mounts onto the bucket to hook up a 3pt spear in front.

Ken

/ Bale Spear - Front or Rear?? #10  
my eyes are on the front of my head, so i always find it easier to do any operations that involve facing forward as opposed to swivel-necking around. then there's always the cost factor - i find i can operate in awkward positions if the price is right.