Ballast box questions

/ Ballast box questions #1  

Stonewall Cardinal

Tractor
John Deere 5055E
Looking at getting one so I can lift more with my loader. Question is what should I fill it with? If not concrete, I suppose I need to drill holes in the bottom to let water drain. How thick of metal would I be drilling through?

Thanks.

/ Ballast box questions #2  
Mine has a small opening in all 4 corners where the welder stopped short. I'm guessing that was by design for drainage.

/ Ballast box questions #3  
Mine has a sliding door on the back - I'm guessing so you can remove gravel or something? So far I've just stacked in some concrete blocks which seem to give enough stability. There are some variables to answers to your question such as the particular box you select and what you fill it with.

/ Ballast box questions #4  
I made mine out of a 55 gal plastic barrel and filled it with stones and some concrete (3-4 bags).

/ Ballast box questions #5  
I made a 2 x 2 x 1 ft. steel box (weights in about 550 pounds), added four 2 inch ABS tubes for tool holders (bottom drill for drains) and also a lifting loop (yes you may need it if box gets over) and large angle iron on read to attachment point for ball hitch ir to drag my chain harrow.... IT served for "traction" purposes also and not just just increases lifting capacity for FEL....

Piece of RR track is my "drag" to erase tire tracks and other mischief cause by tractor tires...

drag-3-jpg.760361

Last edited:
   / Ballast box questions #7  
Looking at getting one so I can lift more with my loader. Question is what should I fill it with? If not concrete, I suppose I need to drill holes in the bottom to let water drain. How thick of metal would I be drilling through?

Thanks.
I'm just adding weight and tool holders to my box blade. the BB is not much more intrusive than a ballast box and is useful as well. I also like that it acts a a rear bumper when Im backing up in brush and keeps some of the tree limbs out of my hair and the lights on the ROP.

/ Ballast box questions #8  
My BB is not early heavy enough, and it sticks out too far. Plus having the hitch on the back of the barrel is good for moving trailers and the log splitter around.

/ Ballast box questions #9  
I have mine filled with old brake rotors, weight lifting weights and I throw two 43 pound suitcase weights on top.

/ Ballast box questions #10  
Old tainter gate chains, broken hydraulic breaker, rebar, some gym weights - pretty much anything steel. Heavier than concrete but doesn’t fit in as well.

57AFFCEF-D31A-4312-9C77-E438BD86BE2D.jpeg