Band mill Blade Sharpening...

/ Band mill Blade Sharpening... #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
Right now the predominate places to buy band mill blades have an 8-10 week lag time on shipping...blades can be found but they are expensive...

At any rate I just got a new grinding stone / wheel for an old Wood Mizer manual (drag through) band blade sharpener...This stone has an arrow marked "mount up"...it only has a 1/2" arbor there is no hub etc. that it can be indexed to ??

I understand it has something to do with balancing the wheel but I'm not sure in this application...

About all I can think to do is run the motor and let it spin down until it stops...and mark the top of the shaft...and see if repeated efforts produce the same results then mount the wheel "up" ??

Anyone familiar with this..?

/ Band mill Blade Sharpening... #2  
Mills near me replace blades and give us used blades for forging. Both have a policy that say's customer buy's new blade if they hit stone or metal in customer's log. Some firewood cutters buy it by the roll and replace chain saw blades instead of sharpening. Those play nicer at the forge than bands.

/ Band mill Blade Sharpening...
Bump...
Thought for sure someone would know about the arrow and "mount up" printed on the stone...??