Bar oil quality

/ Bar oil quality #21  
I generally run the cheapest bar oil I can find for $5-6 a gallon. I’m 100 percent certain that more expensive and potentially better bar oil can’t save enough wear to make up for being double the price. In the absence of having any bar oil I’ve used hydraulic oil, gear oil, new motor oil, and transmission fluid. They all seem to get the job done. Just recently I put 2 tanks of used motor oil through the saw before I didn’t have anything else. That makes an awful mess. The outside of the saw is covered in black oil from spilling it, the clutch cover is packed with black sawdust, the bar is covered in black oil, and my vehicle is covered in black oil from leakage. I definitely don’t recommend that approach.

/ Bar oil quality #22  
I often wonder what a person could use as an additive to make oils tacky like in chain oil.
I do know that they have a chain lube that is great for motorcycles and would work for saws as well.
Might it be as simple as sugar?
Oil is oil and it lubes except it just need to 'cling' for saws (and other chain applications)
Anybody have ideas?

/ Bar oil quality #24  
It's all about the math for me. I buy the $6/gallon stuff from TSC and usually get 8 gallons ($48) through the saw before I replace the bar. A new bar costs $50. If I spent $12+ on oil, my bar would have to last through 16 gallons ($192) before I replace my bar to achieve the same "value" out of my bar life.

IMO it's a better value to use the cheapest oil and replace the bar when required. I notice no difference when cutting between high dollar synthetics and the cheap dino stuff so I let the math dictate what I buy.

I understand the used motor oil guys - but personally I don't want used motor oil flung all over my forest.

/ Bar oil quality #25  
I often wonder what a person could use as an additive to make oils tacky like in chain oil.
I do know that they have a chain lube that is great for motorcycles and would work for saws as well.
Might it be as simple as sugar?
Oil is oil and it lubes except it just need to 'cling' for saws (and other chain applications)
Anybody have ideas?
No, it certainty isn't sugar. I read a book on the history of the petroleum industry and parts of it was how the chemical engineering types had fixed this or changed than in petroleum for the past 150 years. The oil products we use today are very much customized to work for this or that. Since one gallon of Stihl oil costs 1.5 chains,,,, I'll use it.

/ Bar oil quality #26  
I just use old hydraulic oil or leftover engine oil for the bar oil and never had any issues or increased wear on the chain or bar. As long as it has some sort of oil, it'll be fine.

/ Bar oil quality #27  
The last jug of bar oil I bought is labeled 30W with an additive for better adherence.
In the 1960's 30 weight was used locally for bar oil, mixed with 5 to 10 % Rapeseed oil (now called Canola oil) as a tackifier. They had to mix it when the weather was warm.
Everyone I know just uses bar oil nowdays. I buy my bar oil at Bi-mart when on sale. Bi-Mart is a Pacific Northwest chain store.

/ Bar oil quality #28  
In the 1960's 30 weight was used locally for bar oil, mixed with 5 to 10 % Rapeseed oil (now called Canola oil) as a tackifier. They had to mix it when the weather was warm.
Everyone I know just uses bar oil nowdays. I buy my bar oil at Bi-mart when on sale. Bi-Mart is a Pacific Northwest chain store.
Great store. Been a member since 1976. This product doesn't flow well in lower temps. Perhaps adding a bit of lighter weight oil would help. Almost ruined bar and chain on my 18" EGO saw before I realized it wasn't flowing well. When I noticed burn marks on the log I was sawing, I knew there was a problem.

/ Bar oil quality #29  
I mix any bar oil with used motor oil. My Husky binds at the tip if i use straight bar oil.

If you are binding at the tip, you've got some other problem than using straight bar oil. Possibly running the chain too tight or pinched your bar. Simply running straight bar oil does not cause that problem. If it did, thousands of people would be having problems with binding tips.

I used motor oil in my old craftsman for years and did wear the bar so much that it would not cut straight.

Used motor oil can cause accelerated wear (that's also the reason you change the oil in that engine periodically). A chainsaw cutting on the curve could be indicative of a sharpening problem - or failing to sharpen your chain frequently enough, particularly if you nicked something which damaged the teeth on one side of your chain. Those chain problems can cause cutting on the curve on their own, or they can also cause uneven wear of your bar rails, which will "aim" your chain to cut on a curve.

Also dirty used oil makes a mess of the saw.
It also can work a number on your oil pump.

If it wasn't for the problem of vegetable based oil gumming up the chain and oil system if it's left in the saw for too long I'd try it.

I'm required to use veggie-based oil on one property where I cut regularly, so I've just taken to using it all the time. It's not cheap, but it does lubricate better than the petroleum-based oils. In the early days of using this oil, I had problems with it stiffening up and gumming up the chain if the saw sat for an extended period. Sometimes it would take a shot of WD-40 or something to get it moving again. Back in those days, I'd run a bit of petroleum based oil through the saw when I was done if I would not be using it again for a while.

Lately, I've been using the Stihl Bio-Blend bar oil. It's basically a canola oil-based product. I've not had any problems with that stiffening up if it sits for a while on the chain.

Last edited:
   / Bar oil quality #30  
Just add motor honey to used oil.