Bar oil quality

/ Bar oil quality #31  
My Dad taught me to set the oiler so you'd fling some off the tip. Back about 2009 I was doing a bit of CSM. My 60CC JD w/28" or 42" would fling fine, my small Stihl would fling fine. My Stihl 660's wouldn't fling worth a darn with bars over 20" and non-Stihl chain no matter how far one turned up the oiler. Seems the EPA had set some rules and Stihl had changed the oilers they distributed in the US versions. Aussie 660's would fling fine up to 42" if you turned the oiler up.
I bought 2 Stihl HO oilers, now my 660's fling off my 42" bar.
I don't want to burn up a $100 bar.

/ Bar oil quality #32  
Some saws came with different capacity oil pumps. The pacific NW full wrap Stihl MS460's came with a higher output pump than the 1/2 wrap saws. I upgraded my MS460 to the higher output pump and installed the old one into my MS361 which boosted that to higher output.

/ Bar oil quality #33  
If you can find the part numbers and the parts you can buy a higher output piston and stop for many Stihl oil pumps. I did that for my 460 as it did not put out enough oil for a 32" bar that I use for big trees. The one problem with that is that if you turn the oiler up to high you may run out of oil before running out of fuel.

/ Bar oil quality #34  
If you are binding at the tip, you've got some other problem than using straight bar oil. Possibly running the chain too tight or pinched your bar. Simply running straight bar oil does not cause that problem. If it did, thousands of people would be having problems with binding tips.

A chainsaw cutting on the curve could be indicative of a sharpening problem - or failing to sharpen your chain frequently enough, particularly if you knicked something which damaged the teeth on one side of your chain. Those chain problems can caus cuting on the curve on their own, or they can also cause uneven wear of your bar rails, which will "aim" your chain to cut on a curve.
If you are binding at the tip, you've got some other problem than using straight bar oil. Possibly running the chain too tight or pinched your bar. Simply running straight bar oil does not cause that problem. If it did, thousands of people would be having problems with binding tips.

Used motor oil can cause accelerated wear (that's also the reason you change the oil in that engine periodically). A chainsaw cutting on the curve could be indicative of a sharpening problem - or failing to sharpen your chain frequently enough, particularly if you knicked something which damaged the teeth on one side of your chain. Those chain problems can caus cuting on the curve on their own, or they can also cause uneven wear of your bar rails, which will "aim" your chain to cut on a curve.

It also can work a number on your oil pump.

I'm required to use veggie-based oil on one property where I cut regularly, so I've just taken to using it all the time. It's not cheap, but it does lubricate better than the petroleum-based oils. In the early days of using this oil, I had problems with it stiffening up and gumming up the chain if the saw sat for an extended period. Sometimes it would take a shot of WD-40 or something to get it moving again. Back in those days, I'd run a bit of petroleum based oil through the saw when I was done if I would not be using it again for a while.

Lately, I've been using the Stihl Bio-Blend bar oil. It's basically a canola oil-based product. I've not had any problems with that stiffening up if it sits for a while on the chain.

Mine was due to the oil. I mix it now and no problems. Have changed nothing else.

Also know that my bar was worn - could see it. Not due to sharpening. Bar may have worn due to use of motor oil, but it was worn on one side of the track.

No guessing going on........

/ Bar oil quality #35  
I ran used engine oil for a while but didn't like the mess that it made.

/ Bar oil quality #36  
Used motor oil can cause accelerated wear (that's also the reason you change the oil in that engine periodically). A chainsaw cutting on the curve could be indicative of a sharpening problem - or failing to sharpen your chain frequently enough, particularly if you nicked something which damaged the teeth on one side of your chain.
Another downside to used motor oil that hasn't been mentioned is that the sludge in it can plug the passages between the reservoir and the bar. Can be a real PITA to clean out. Don't ask how I learned this. :mad:

Like some others here, I'll just get whatever bar oil's on sale at Walmart or TS. I have the oil setting high enough so when I need to refuel, the oil tank needs filling too. Minimal bar wear problems.

/ Bar oil quality #37  
My 346XP Pro Husqvarna has cut over 200 cords of firewood in 16" lengths, using only used engine oil. My second saw has maybe cut 100 cords. I file with an Oregon dremel style grinding sharpener and each chain functions well until it is worn down until the teeth start to break off. They cut straight till the end and the Husky's haven't had a new bar in many years. The bar tip might get a few shots of grease every 25 cords.
I have to conclude that despite all the theory about sticky chain oil being better, there seems to be no wear difference in chain oil and used engine oil. Throwing out your used engine oil and buying new chain oil seems very inefficient when for me, they do the same thing.
A frugal Canadian.

/ Bar oil quality #38  
Worked in the woods for many years when I was younger. We always used good bar oil. It is tacks and adheres to the bar and chain giving better lubrication and longer bar and chain life, also oils the tips better. In the winter I cut it a little with kerosene. Saws run cooler and just perform better. We ran some long bars in them days. Good bar oil doesn't cost that much more for the benefits. The other stuff works in a pinch.

/ Bar oil quality #39  
I used to get my bar oil in fifty gallon drums.I was a professional. There's a reason I didn't run crapper oil in my chainsaws. Sometimes if it was really cold, I'd mix some diesel in my oil jug for the day. When falling for other outfits, I'd burn a gallon to gallon and a quarter of gas a day, pretty close to a gallon of bar oil.

You can always get by cheaper, but you can't always get by better.

/ Bar oil quality #40  
My 346XP Pro Husqvarna has cut over 200 cords of firewood in 16" lengths, using only used engine oil. My second saw has maybe cut 100 cords. I file with an Oregon dremel style grinding sharpener and each chain functions well until it is worn down until the teeth start to break off. They cut straight till the end and the Husky's haven't had a new bar in many years. The bar tip might get a few shots of grease every 25 cords.
I have to conclude that despite all the theory about sticky chain oil being better, there seems to be no wear difference in chain oil and used engine oil. Throwing out your used engine oil and buying new chain oil seems very inefficient when for me, they do the same thing.
A frugal Canadian.
That's great, but nothing you have said about your experience gives any indication one way or the other whether the used engine oil you are using is working as well as real bar oil. The fact that your chains always cut straight are an indication that you know a thing or two about sharpening chains.