Bar oil quality

/ Bar oil quality #61  
Tractor Supply is still the best deal out there. Up to $10 a gallon now but they sometimes have sales with 2 gallons at a lower price. It seems to work well for me.
$8.99 at Menards.

/ Bar oil quality #62  
My 346XP Pro Husqvarna has cut over 200 cords of firewood in 16" lengths, using only used engine oil. My second saw has maybe cut 100 cords. I file with an Oregon dremel style grinding sharpener and each chain functions well until it is worn down until the teeth start to break off. They cut straight till the end and the Husky's haven't had a new bar in many years. The bar tip might get a few shots of grease every 25 cords.
I have to conclude that despite all the theory about sticky chain oil being better, there seems to be no wear difference in chain oil and used engine oil. Throwing out your used engine oil and buying new chain oil seems very inefficient when for me, they do the same thing.
A frugal Canadian.
I used it for a while but didn't like how nasty it made the saw. Not that I bought it to look good, but the used oil was just messy.

/ Bar oil quality #63  
I used it for a while but didn't like how nasty it made the saw. Not that I bought it to look good, but the used oil was just messy.

Agreed. It’s a way bigger mess than bar oil and bar oil isn’t that expensive I have no problem running just about any other kind of oil but used motor oil is a mess. Especially diesel oil that’s filthy black and stains everything.

/ Bar oil quality #64  
Sure wish I could find what is used to cause oil to cling like chain oil does. I bet it is something really simple.
Be it sugar? alum?
Any ideas.

/ Bar oil quality #65  
I got Stihl "silver jug" bar oil (gallon) today for $19.99 ,, I think that was a good price.

I did not notice the price until I had left, I will get another next week.

The salesman wanted me to try the Stihl "blue" jug,, winter blend.
It was $2 more per gallon, and sloshed like water.
I passed,,
We don't get much of a "winter" here,, the silver jug seems to work fine,, for me.

/ Bar oil quality #66  
   / Bar oil quality #67  
I got Stihl "silver jug" bar oil (gallon) today for $19.99 ,, I think that was a good price.

I did not notice the price until I had left, I will get another next week.

The salesman wanted me to try the Stihl "blue" jug,, winter blend.
It was $2 more per gallon, and sloshed like water.
I passed,,
We don't get much of a "winter" here,, the silver jug seems to work fine,, for me.

I used to buy tractor supply oil for $5 a gallon. I think it’s closer to 10 now. RK sells value brand gear oil or 15/40 motor oil for about $10 and that would be my next option before I paid $20.

/ Bar oil quality #68  
The price of the Stihl BioPlus bar oil seems to have shot up these days (veggie based oil). The local hardware store had it listed at $29.99/gallon. It's never been inexpensive, but that is getting ridiculous. I couple of the places on which I cut wood require veggie-based bar oil, so I've just been using it everywhere I cut. Glad I have a bit of a supply in stock already.

/ Bar oil quality #69  
The price of the Stihl BioPlus bar oil seems to have shot up these days (veggie based oil). The local hardware store had it listed at $29.99/gallon. It's never been inexpensive, but that is getting ridiculous. I couple of the places on which I cut wood require veggie-based bar oil, so I've just been using it everywhere I cut. Glad I have a bit of a supply in stock already.

I’d say you could buy fryer oil for half that cost.

/ Bar oil quality #70  
Generally I always use motor oil unless I make the odd garage sale find for bar oil.
I am convinced that periodic chain 'touch ups' are the key to long chain and bar life, that and periodic dressing the bar with a single cut file.
Also proper chain tension is critical.
First I am a proponent of bar oil....However, you have said something so true: Keep the chain sharp with the "touch up" and the chain will not overheat. Cutting something like an aged hardwood stump with a dull chain places more wear on the chain, the bar and even the motor than the lubricant one uses on the bar. Correct chain tension will also keep drive links from prematurely wearing.