Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame
That’s exactly what I have. About 1/2” +/- of rust jacking.

So what is being done is a new level surface is being welded atop the angled existing c-channel surface, but shims are put underneath on the outside edge to level it.

1673045474447.jpeg

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame #62  
When I was doing truck frame repairs the primer I used was the cheapest rattle-cans I could find @ Wal-mart. I agree with the comments saying that if you are going to have the steel blasted, you need to get primer on it RIGHT THEN. Also, anything less than a near-white metal blast is a waste of money (just my opinion, and I always have one). Ranger repairs

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame #63  
So what is being done is a new level surface is being welded atop the angled existing c-channel surface
Yup, no welding to the truck frame tho, the filler piece ( you could use round bar depending on the gap, it may be easier) is welded to the top 3 x 3/8 flatbar which prevents it from moving in relation the flatbar. The vertical pieces bolted to the frame hold it all in place, just knock out an existing bolt and rebolt it using a new gr8 bolt, washers and locknut. I only showed one but there's 4 or so the length of the frame. Least ways that's how I've done them LOL.

Sold Stainless Steel bed & hoist today.
Probably took a little less than I could have, but still happy to have that behind me.

1673109963796.jpeg

Still have engine driven variable piston pump. Was $7,000 new!!!
Trying to get $2,000.

1673110000448.jpeg

Got some more rust jacking removed and going to finish blasting next clear day we get.

1673110185260.jpeg

1673110218701.jpeg

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame #65  
Still have engine driven variable piston pump. Was $7,000 new!!!
Trying to get $2,000.
LOL, told u they weren't cheap. The weight of the things you could almost sell it for scrap LOL, they're fun to replace by the side of the road in a snowstorm, trying to take off the oil filled 2" suction line that seems to shrink in length once you remove it is fun also.
Glad you finally got rid of the body, one less thing to be concerned about. If they had used a little bit of grease on the slip yoke would have been good as well. I've always said, government vehicles are greased twice, the first and the last time....if they see grease at all.

It’s getting a little more exciting with each passing day. The plan coming together painfully slow, though.

Looking ahead: Found some used, wide base Alcoa aluminum rims with 385/22.5 tires.

I see about 1/2” of extra thread on my existing front wheel studs. Wondering if it’s enough for the thicker Alcoa aluminum flanges?

1673112133908.jpeg

1673112117734.jpeg

So the rear dual wheels & tires are removed and the frame is up on a stand now. I am cleaning out the tight, hard to reach areas.
Not sure whether I have the time & energy to clean the rust jacking out of the lower frame flanges, but I’d like to.

1673995822773.jpeg

1673995882177.jpeg

The tires are great, but the wheels are pretty well shot.

I am contemplating a steel inner and aluminum outer, just to give it a little shine once again.

Couple more days of this dirty work, and maybe finally get the rust converter on, then inside for paint.
Feels like it’s been forever.

/ Bare metal epoxy primer for truck frame #68  
When you’re done you can put a net up and play beach volley ball. It’s coming along nicely.

Lots of asphalt trapped in crevices.