Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,811  
Congrats on getting ahead of those clots Gale...... gotta keep you around to enjoy your new/old EV's (y)

Please post up some pics of Lazarus Leaf once rolling again. Not so much our generation, but I can see where some may look at todays EVs no differently than cell phones.... to be replaced quickly.

Terrible with names (me)..... you know the guy (upstate NY ?) who got started rebuilding wrecked Teslas..... did a fantastic job despite active opposition from T. (y)

Your post 1806 highlights the Right Tool vs. Job aspect of vehicles well. EV is great for near home running, but an IC pickup does something no EV can today re. heavy load+long run+continuous operation.

Most of us have more than one type of hammer in our toolbox, for the same reason..... :)

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#1,812  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,813  
Not a vehicle but I see stihl is pushing their batt operated chainsaws, leaf blowers and lawn mowers.

Not for me but.....

At the end of the ad, in big block letters it says.....

NOT SOLD AT HOME DEPOT OR LOWES.

That's a new one, bragging about where you don't sell your stuff.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,814  
New study explains why nearly 20 percent of electric car owners return to gas

Unless you own a Tesla it seems. Yes I would like a Tesla today but just getting our Leaf back on the road will keep me happy EV wise. Tesla's are improving so fast today I hope to be able to get a new one out of TX on 2025. The talk of raging inflation may impact that hope.
There is that Cost thing..... at least for me, and many other people.....

I started a new job last month, and not much more than a 15 minute walk from that building is a bank of Superchargers.

For the halibut, I had a look online..... Somehow the Canadian press- release a while back that had the model 3 in the $30k'ish range, now looks more like mid $50k range.

^ Not big money to many typical T buyers, but for that money I can buy a stable of really good used IC cars.

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,815  
Not a vehicle but I see stihl is pushing their batt operated chainsaws, leaf blowers and lawn mowers.

Not for me but.....

At the end of the ad, in big block letters it says.....

NOT SOLD AT HOME DEPOT OR LOWES.

That's a new one, bragging about where you don't sell your stuff.
Just trying to distinguish themselves in the market.

Up here at least, they positioned themselves that way (independent Pro dealerships) to appear more specialized, before their battery tool line really got going in our market.

For the casual user looking to spend more money on tools (esp. if they don't have the time/skills/discipline/patience to deal with small gas-engine issues), their and other battery powered tool lines IMO are a good option.

They (battery stuff) also finds a welcome place with pro crews, at least around here. A quick climb in a tree to trim one small limb for a fussy owner - an electric saw is done before many cold gas saws idle the way you want. Also general landscape crews, that want to start before 7am (noise bylaw) to get a jump on a hot Summer day like electric for the quiet of many tools.

Sorry for my drift Gale :cool:, I will attempt to re-direct by saying (genuinely) that battery tools can be a better choice for certain applications, just like EVs !

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,817  
I do not doubt Stihl makes good electric power tools but turned me off with so many different incompatible batteries.

Started with an EGo lawnmower. Added string trimmer, blower, chainsaw, and hedge trimmer. Every one can use the other's battery from 2.0AH to 7.5AH. Recently added a 10AH battery to their offerings.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,818  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,819  
Substitute "diesel" for "electric" and you get exactly the same results. Too difficult to find diesel (not at every gas station) plus high cost fuel and extra maintenance.

Very easy to find diesel around my area, most stations have it. Not a good comparison

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #1,820  
Substitute "diesel" for "electric" and you get exactly the same results. Too difficult to find diesel (not at every gas station) plus high cost fuel and extra maintenance.

Are you talking about passenger vehicles? The last time I was truck shopping, just the diesel engine was a $7500 option. It's not something people would buy out of personal preference. A diesel truck is for someone who needs the torque or plans to put a lot of miles on the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.