Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,461  

If you can sit through the long commercial...
One or more parties seem to be author of this confusion. In time the facts may or may not come out. :)

Since Hertz states they are receiving Tesla's that would indicate that Tesla has received some kind of payment if there is no contract maybe they're just ordering these just like everybody else paying retail price maybe they just going online and ordered but see this deal has been going on for many months so who knows.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,462  
The demand for those Teslas at Hertz is going to be crazy! Smart move on their part.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,463  
Are we simply displacing pollution from the exhaust pipe to the power stations?
(Other than Colorado river dams and Canadian rivers)

Yes but it's easier and cheaper to make a small number of huge power plants more efficient and pollute less than to put pollution controls on every single vehicle.

As more solar is installed there will be more zero pollution electricity. Don't even start with the "mining for solar panel minerals causes environmental harm" because oil drilling and transporting causes a lot of pollution. Deep Horizons, Exxon Valldez, etc etc too many to name. Not to mention the huge amount of methane (a greenhouse gas 50x worse than CO2) released as a drilling byproduct. Mining is green in comparison.

It's not like we have to have a perfectly complete system and answers to every conceivable problem before we can start doing anything. We didn't have a complete oil and fuel distribution system when we started making gasoline cars. We didn't have a complete electrical grid when Edison lit the first bulb. We made it up as we went along.

I get not liking change; I'm not enthused about electric cars either. But for most people cars are transportation, and for most people the lower maintenance and costs of an electric make sense.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,464  
Don't even start with the "mining for solar panel minerals causes environmental harm" because oil drilling and transporting causes a lot of pollution. Deep Horizons, Exxon Valldez, etc etc too many to name. Not to mention the huge amount of methane (a greenhouse gas 50x worse than CO2) released as a drilling byproduct.
The question on the table though is whether we are simply trading one problem for another. If that answer is yes, wouldn't it make more sense to look for real solutions instead? We can start by keeping our problems in country, where we control them rather than sending them off to some third world country or someplace which is fundamentally against us.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,465  
Yes but it's easier and cheaper to make a small number of huge power plants more efficient and pollute less than to put pollution controls on every single vehicle.
Tell that to the Chinese, Indians (as in India) and, most likely, the Russians...
China and India are responsible (so I've read)for >25% of the pollutants including CO2

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,466  
Tell that to the Chinese, Indians (as in India) and, most likely, the Russians...
China and India are responsible (so I've read)for >25% of the pollutants including CO2
The U.S. still pollutes more per person than any of those countries. Gotta keep that in mind, too. It's gonna be a balancing act between amount of pollutants, amount of people, who gets to consume how much, etc.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,467  
and for most people the lower maintenance and costs of an electric make sense.

Except it’s higher. It will always get higher.

I remember when my landline phone was an ungodly $20 month. Cell phone industry said, we will be cheaper. It didn’t. Now I get to pay over $200 month for phone service.

Yea, don’t compare mining vs drilling, lol. What a joke.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,469  
The question on the table though is whether we are simply trading one problem for another. If that answer is yes, wouldn't it make more sense to look for real solutions instead? We can start by keeping our problems in country, where we control them rather than sending them off to some third world country or someplace which is fundamentally against us.

We’re not trading one problem for another, the problem just gets worse.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,470  
The U.S. still pollutes more per person than any of those countries. Gotta keep that in mind, too. It's gonna be a balancing act between amount of pollutants, amount of people, who gets to consume how much, etc.
Maybe, but not being at the table is a bigger, way, way bigger issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.