Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,231  
Horses are costing me more than I prefer. Do you have a spreadsheet that justified a horse barn cost-wise. If you do would you please share that cuz I am starting to think horses are financially a losing proposition but they do make a lot of fertilizer but the inputs are very expensive.
Use Sunshine.... to Grow Your Own Hay.

;) Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,232  
Fuddy, your math checks out.

As long as:

You never replace your current truck. If you do, I would think those numbers apply to a gas or diesel truck also.
Imo, solar systems currently don’t pencil out when I pay .08-.13 for electricity. Unfortunately, that is going to drastically change. Xcel Energy, for example, has requested a 21% rate increase over the next three years here in Minnesota.
1639324527689.png

Just want to show you a Xcel bill. less than 50 miles from Big Lake, MN.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,233  
I have the Leaf Spy Pro with a Bluetooth doggle. At the time that version was $15 I think the software now is $20 per that video and the doggle was 20 to $30 I think but I went with Bluetooth because it just sinks up with my phone automatically and it's a no-brainer.

There is some cost associated with the Tesla toolbox but I did not drill down on that.

I wanted to cover this because from another post it talked about the DIY types being locked out of EV service and but that is not totally true and this Tesla toolbox is a new development due to complaints.
That will help with the Leaf, but not with the Tesla when Tesla locks out out of their chargers until you pay $X,XXX to have your car "recertified"
I'm not concerned about battery life of the F-150. Wait until the gearheads get their hands on them. Add a 1000 lb. auxiliary battery in the bed and you will have plenty of range. If the 5th wheel hitch takes up too much bed, tear those silly rear seats out and pack a battery in back. As for towing an 8000 lb. camper, it may be possible to tow that much with a weeniemobile F-150, but I've never seen it. The minimum towing rig for that much trailer is a F-250, and I would prefer a F-350 with duallies. The AWD with computerized traction control would be handy for getting a boat up a steep ramp, though. I suspect you will still be able to buy a diesel F-350 in 2050.
Would you want to tow 8000# behind a F150 day in, day out? If the truck is setup for it and the trailer is properly balanced, why not? A properly equipped F150 can be rated to tow up to 14,000#, even a early 2000s 1/2 ton is rated to tow 7000# and a modern half ton has brakes and horsepower that will put a "older" 1 ton to shame.
Now, will a 8000# trailer tow better behind a dually F350? Sure, but a modern F350 can be rated to tow over 21,000# so its overkill to say the least.

I'm more in favor of moving transportation funding away from taxes and toward user fees. If we eliminate all the petro industry tax breaks and impose vehicle fees to fund road construction and maintenance, market forces would make more rational decisions. The only reason we're in the transportation mess we're in is because people got away with only paying $2.75/gallon for gas. If people want to drive on freeways, drivers should foot the bill, not the general fund.
Lets start with keeping the money from gas taxes in the transportation fund and stop siphoning it off to the general fund. A big reason why we have such an issue is that for years gas taxes have been spent wherever will elicit the most campaign contributions rather than on maintaining the road related infrastructure.

I agree... I'll trade you EV subsidies for oil / gas subsidies.

First, let’s consider just the direct subsidies for fossil fuel production—money that flows directly from the government to fossil fuel companies to support activities like exploration, extraction, and development. A conservative estimate from Oil Change International puts the U.S. total at around $20.5 billion annually, including $14.7 billion in federal subsidies and $5.8 billion in state-level incentives. A whopping 80 percent of this goes to oil and gas (with the rest supporting coal), and most of the subsidies are in the form of tax deductions and exemptions and other “obscure tax loopholes and accounting tricks” that result in massive avoided costs for fossil fuel producers.
How many of those "subsidies" are standard "you can write off money you spend on capital investments" with the investment write off periods adjusted to the expected lifetime of the capital investments?

Don't buy an EV if you don't want one.
Sounds great as long as you aren't taking my tax money to pay for it...

Aaron Z

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,234  
For me to reply intelligently will only send me on a vacation; but... I do believe you are cherry picking the "rights" you are so concerned about.
You have nothing to worry about if you make comments from the "other side" of the spectrum. If your opinion is anointed and blessed to match our courageous and yet entirely secret moderators, then you get a free pass.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,235  
That choice still exists. There is no mandate.
Has not California already MANDATED that by "xxxx" year, that NO ICE powered vehicles can be sold in CA?

What "fluffy bunny" label are you giving that state government directed mandate then?

A mandate that's not a "mandate"?

And yes, so far it covers new vehicle purchases. But what if I want to buy a new ICE powered vehicle? The MANDATE says I can't. So a state government is telling me that I must only (for now, until they take that right away too, because "legal precedent" will be set, and the sheeple would have been conditioned) I must only be allowed to buy a used vehicle?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,236  
You have nothing to worry about if you make comments from the "other side" of the spectrum. If your opinion is anointed and blessed to match our courageous and yet entirely secret moderators, then you get a free pass.
It is what it is.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,237  
Never have been blessed with a free pass... Been sent on plenty of vacations though, with no idea why except "someone" decided it was in "their" best interest I suppose. 🙈🙉🙊

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,238  
The progression I've seen in my lifetime with flashlights and cordless tools makes me think battery vehicles are possible too.
Another example of evolution is from briefcase-size mobile phones to an I-Phone in a wristwatch, over not very long.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,239  
Has not California already MANDATED that by "xxxx" year, that NO ICE powered vehicles can be sold in CA?
View of the California State Capital on a nice late-summer day.
sacsmog9-21-11-jpg.230667

The smog rules here weren't initiated by looney legislators, rather, the people complained so much about unbreathable air that they chose to vote for legislators who would finally do something. Sorry that this impacts other states. Maybe your legislators are beng motivated by the voters too.

(More comments on this in the post last time when I used this photo).

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,240  
View of the California State Capital on a nice late-summer day.
sacsmog9-21-11-jpg.230667

The smog rules here weren't initiated by looney legislators, rather, the people complained so much about unbreathable air that they chose to vote for legislators who would finally do something. Sorry that this impacts other states. Maybe your legislators are beng motivated by the voters too.

(More comments on this in the post last time when I used this photo).
What has that got to do with whether or not California has decreed a mandate on ICE cars?

The post of mine you quoted was in reply to another poster who was trying to claim there were no mandates limiting purchases.

Cool story bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.