Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,331  
Does not matter who is developing an EV. The design is still limited by the limited energy density and the high cost of the batteries . Don't bother us with the story that new high energy density batteries are just around the corner.
As you say, doesn't matter what is around the corner. But you are wrong in why it does not matter. Doesn't matter because no matter the density one can have a 300 mile EV carrying 4 in comfort for under 300 Wh/mile, today.

For estimating purposes gasoline is $3.00/gallon and electricity is $0.10/kWh. (Those are higher prices than I pay.)

300 Wh/mile at $0.10/kWh is $0.03/mile.

$3.00/gallon at $0.03/mile is 100 miles for the same cost as a gallon of gasoline. So I keep forgetting just what is it that renders today's EV technology unviable "until a big battery breakthrough!" ??

A 263 mile, 140 MPH, 5.3 seconds to 60 MPH, Tesla Model 3 is $39,900. Some states have incentives, Federal "subsidies" expired in 2016. No "battery breakthrough" is needed. The technology is here.

2021 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus RWD is accurately EPA rated 240Wh/mile. So rather than 3¢/mile used in calculations above it is only 2.4¢/mile. 12,000 miles/year would be $288. At $3/gallon and 30 MPG $1200. Savings of $7296 over 8 years. 16 oil changes at $50 each saves another $800. Not going to compete with cheap under-$20k cars on cost but the Model 3 is a much nicer car and competes competitively with similar trim.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,332  
As you say, doesn't matter what is around the corner. But you are wrong in why it does not matter. Doesn't matter because no matter the density one can have a 300 mile EV carrying 4 in comfort for under 300 Wh/mile, today.

For estimating purposes gasoline is $3.00/gallon and electricity is $0.10/kWh. (Those are higher prices than I pay.)

300 Wh/mile at $0.10/kWh is $0.03/mile.

$3.00/gallon at $0.03/mile is 100 miles for the same cost as a gallon of gasoline. So I keep forgetting just what is it that renders today's EV technology unviable "until a big battery breakthrough!" ??

A 263 mile, 140 MPH, 5.3 seconds to 60 MPH, Tesla Model 3 is $39,900. Some states have incentives, Federal "subsidies" expired in 2016. No "battery breakthrough" is needed. The technology is here.

2021 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus RWD is accurately EPA rated 240Wh/mile. So rather than 3¢/mile used in calculations above it is only 2.4¢/mile. 12,000 miles/year would be $288. At $3/gallon and 30 MPG $1200. Savings of $7296 over 8 years. 16 oil changes at $50 each saves another $800. Not going to compete with cheap under-$20k cars on cost but the Model 3 is a much nicer car and competes competitively with similar trim.
2013 Impala
0-60 6.4
Top speed 154
475 miles + on a tank of gas with fuel to spare
$6000

:p

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,333  
154 mph :oops: Got some get up and go! How does it handle Up there?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,335  
Around Pinehurst NC the golf course groundskeeper jobs are everywhere. Lots of young guys cutting grass.

I just saw my first electric robotic lawn mower. I've seen commercials etc but not in action. Not really a vehicle but.....

I happened upon a big soccer facility the other day and a robot was cutting the grass. Looked ok to me.

That's going to put a bunch of young folks out of a job. Maybe they will "transition " to writing the code that controls them...maybe not.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,336  
We were at a botanical garden in Stillwater, OK a few weeks ago and I noticed a Husqvarna robotic mower docked in a corner near a building. The lawn in the gardens looked nice. I've never seen one in operation. It would be tempting to have one in our small backyard. I'm also tempted to get a robotic vacuum at home, but I wonder how many cat toys it would eat.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,337  
Up the road I saw a robot mower in use. small lot, pretty flat.
Wonder how fast it would go downhill at my place. We could have robot lawnmower races.
Neighbor downhill might not like it though :)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,338  
Up the road I saw a robot mower in use. small lot, pretty flat.
Wonder how fast it would go downhill at my place. We could have robot lawnmower races.
Neighbor downhill might not like it though :)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,339  
"Police said four women were on the electric boat when it got swept up in the current near the dam and wasn't strong enough to escape, according to FOX 7 of Austin."

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#2,340  

Yesterday Tesla started deliveries of their $130,000 updated model S. It's 1020 horsepower 200 miles per hour single speed electric car to compete with high-end stuff out of Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.