Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,052  
I would guess the tax cuts for the super rich a few years back must have really frosted your butt.
No because they already pay an unbalanced amount.
The gas tax is the same for everyone, rich or poor.
Expensive new EVs, unaffordable to the poor, are taxpayer subsidized for the wealthy who can afford them.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,053  
Tax credits are not required to sell EVs in the USA but for Tesla to build a $2 billion new factory in the eastner USA could help USA tax payers more than Tesla building the same factory in the UK.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,054  
RAM to have an electric truck- in another 3 years. Hints only

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,055  
Just have the rich pay the same 33% average that us normal citizens pay. I know they pay more $ amount of taxes than us peasants but it seems to me if you have 99% of the wealth you should be paying 99% of the taxes.
I just can't understand "if you have 99% of the wealth you should be paying 99% of the taxes.", no offense intended.

Think about taxes for a bit.
Who benefits the most from tax revenue, the rich or the poor? The poor in general can have free housing (section eight), medical care (Medicaid), food stamps, utilities, education, school lunch and the list goes on and on of free stuff.
The rich have use of roads and that's about it. Most rich buy lots of expensive things paying a lot of taxes, entrepreneurs have employees who also pay taxes. The company or corporation pays taxes. Most wealthy pay sending their kids to private schools. Investment capital gains, dividends and interest is also taxed. The rich may have legitimate write-offs but believe me they pay lots of taxes.
So those who benefit the most from tax revenues pay the least amount of tax or no tax at all.
The rich are already pulling the wagon load of free stuff for the poor. Adding more weight to the wagon isn't the answer as it will eventually break.
Would you really want to live where success is punished while the poor reap rewards?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,056  
Yeah, well you may be waiting a long time my friend.
If I have a 60,000lb truck and drive it 10,000 miles a year, I still pay the Commonwealth of PA $3,400/yr for registration. If my competitor has a 50,000lb truck and drives it 200,000 miles a year, he pays $2,900 a year for PA registration.
I bet his truck damages the roads and wears them out a lot more than my truck, yet he pays less than I do.
I agree with you the technology exists to make all these fees more fairly paid, but it won’t happen.

I would really like to see what EVs cost without subsidies and an appropriate road tax.
I bet the purchase looks a lot less attractive.

Ever think the base vehicle would be registered!

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,057  
A 240 volt outlet in your garage is a necessary EV accessory. If your garage is full of stuff, it's not hard to make up a 240 volt extension cord that will reach the driveway. Apartment dwellers who don't control their parking spaces will be out of luck, but it's not like apartment dwellers can afford a new car anyway. Landlords will eventually get around to installing charging stations, but it may be a decade or two.
The Top End Real Estate Leases (upper end Condos, etc.) are already putting in EV chargers as feature for their upper end tenants.

Bottom End -- as usual . . . not so much. Until the Bottom End Landlords figure out they can charge the low income tenant a mark-up on the Electricity.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,058  
I just can't understand "if you have 99% of the wealth you should be paying 99% of the taxes.", no offense intended.

Think about taxes for a bit.
Who benefits the most from tax revenue, the rich or the poor? The poor in general can have free housing (section eight), medical care (Medicaid), food stamps, utilities, education, school lunch and the list goes on and on of free stuff.
The rich have use of roads and that's about it. Most rich buy lots of expensive things paying a lot of taxes, entrepreneurs have employees who also pay taxes. The company or corporation pays taxes. Most wealthy pay sending their kids to private schools. Investment capital gains, dividends and interest is also taxed. The rich may have legitimate write-offs but believe me they pay lots of taxes.
So those who benefit the most from tax revenues pay the least amount of tax or no tax at all.
The rich are already pulling the wagon load of free stuff for the poor. Adding more weight to the wagon isn't the answer as it will eventually break.
Would you really want to live where success is punished while the poor reap rewards?
Wealthy and Upper End are the main beneficiary of the Status Quo and "Defense" of US, as things are.

The means and methods the Upper End enjoys -- e.g., the favorable Court System, Law Enforcement, exclusive neighborhoods, "better" schools, better water, air, and food, medical system(s) -- ALL benefit the Top End the most. But it is not like some accident of birth -- it is the design with intent.

But since most of the Wealthy do very little actual "work" for the Wealth -- as you noted -- Capital Gains, which by their very definition are UNEARNED Income -- they most generate the Wealth from the Wealth and actual work is all done by the Lower Classes.

Real Question -- when have you EVER seen the Wealthy "pulling the wagon" as you say . . . either metaphorically or in fact?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,059  
I would be careful of an EV with even slight impact to the battery compartment.
Can individual Cells be replaced easily?
Tesla Model S batteries are commonly broken up and sold as modules on eBay.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,060  
Status
Not open for further replies.