Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,431  
Tesla’s CFO freely admitted that w/o regulatory credit sales they would NOT have made their first ever profit in 2020. They would still have lost money despite roughly $30 billion (with a B) in sales.

That is some huge cost base.

MoKelly
Yep. I think the point NoTresspassing was a very legitimate question:

As other car makers' products become more fuel efficient, they'll be purchasing fewer credits from all places, including Tesla. Tesla relies(d) heavily on selling those credits. If that revenue stream dries up, will it effect Tesla?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,432  
He posted it a few posts up in this post.

Tesla made $428M off of selling credits in just the 2nd quarter of this year.

There's nothing fake about it.
Yes it true Tesla's competition are key to Tesla's profitable due them using Tesla's carbon credits to increase their own profitability.

Today it is false thinking to think Tesla needs credits and rebates to produce and sell more EVs.

Now Tesla selling carbon credits has cost the company billions and billions of dollars.

Tesla's board set up Elon Musk's compensation based on corporate profitable. By default the millions in carbon credit sales has lead Musk to becoming like the 3rd richest in the USA.

Another thing the other car companies enabled by buying carbon credits that Tesla earned by not selling fossil fueled vehicles was to make Tesla a member of the S&P 500. This move was/is worth billions if not trillions to Tesla shareholders in the decades to come when EV sales are a minor part of Tesla's annual sales.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,433  
After reading that article I get the impression the author isn't a fan of the Salton Sea:

"...the whole lake became a fetid, foul-smelling death-pond, littered with carcasses and bones and swarming with flies. I’ve been to the Salton Sea, a number of years back, and it is without a doubt one of the most revolting, miserable, unpleasant places I have ever been."

and

"If you fell unconscious in LA and woke up in a rowboat in the middle of the Salton Sea, it would be entirely reasonable for you to think you had died and gone straight to Hell."

Sounds like the perfect place for a lithium mine.
The Salton Sea basin was desert until the 1905 flood on the Colorado, and water level has been supplemented by agricultural flood irrigation runoff. Water shortages have pretty much ended that, with farmers going to more efficient sprinklers or even sensor controlled drip irrigation. In the absence of another flood, unlikely while they refill all the empty reservoirs on the Colorado, a 30' sea level rise in the Gulf of California would overtop the Colorado River Delta and spill sea water into the basin. That would raise the water level about 250' and cover up all those nasty salt flats. For that matter, they could dig a canal right now that would fill the whole basin.

#3,435  
Tesla's Automotive Division made well over $1.5Billion with a 'B' in just credit sales in 2020.

It's not fake news.
Thanks for posting. That finally explained the carbon credits thing to me. It is good to know buying and selling can change one's tax bill.

#3,436  
Not fake, just misleading. He conflates European regulations without mentioning that none of them apply in the US.
Ok I get it now.

If someone sold me a fake diamond I would say it was highly misleading. :)

#3,437  
If Tesla had to price their vehicles high enough to make a profit without making hundreds of millions of dollars on carbon credits each year, would they still sell as many vehicles? Are the "big 3" the ones buying the carbon credits? In the future as the "big 3" and others bring up their overall fleet mpg they will need to purchase less and less carbon credits. How will that effect Tesla?

I do not know of any USA based car makers buying carbon credits from Tesla.

While your first question is unknowable what we do know is Tesla has raised prices recently by $1,000 or more up to $10,000 per car and they're still booked into the future sales wise.

As to your last question again we have no way of knowing that but Tesla has stated that carbon credit sales are going away and they have not talked about going bankrupt because of it.

Today we all know talking about Tesla's carbon credit income is nothing more than a red herring. They are predicted to double sales or number of units made in 2022 to two million units.

Status
Not open for further replies.