Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#4,511  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,512  
This thread sure went to the dogs.

Not the livestock.

I did see some new charging stations at the airport cell phone lot. Wonder how many drive off still plugged in?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,513  

OK finally the automotive chip shortage cause becomes clear.

Suppliers and users out of sync. We have this problem at work. We have designs and software to use certain chips, etc. then the supplier moves to a newer and bigger module, but for us to change, it’s a totally new design, new software, testing, etc. lot of expense because a supplier drops a product. And that’s for if one part changes, but there are hundreds of parts involved.
We are searching now for some memory chips that are no longer produced, our design is less than 2 yrs old and it’s not a high volume item.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,514  
Suppliers and users out of sync. We have this problem at work. We have designs and software to use certain chips, etc. then the supplier moves to a newer and bigger module, but for us to change, it’s a totally new design, new software, testing, etc. lot of expense because a supplier drops a product. And that’s for if one part changes, but there are hundreds of parts involved.
We are searching now for some memory chips that are no longer produced, our design is less than 2 yrs old and it’s not a high volume item.
I have a friend that used to work at Boeing doing QC work, it was a nightmare for them to move to a different operating system. And I being on the other end, it is a nightmare supporting "obsolete" operating systems. It eventually becomes a cost dependent decision.

#4,515  
OK that clears up why Tesla doesn't have chip shortages like say GM. Tesla is asking the fabs what new chip technology they will provide going forward so they do the required physical mods and modify or come up with new from scratch software.

Tesla will not take out GM. GM will take out GM.

I expect many companies that use chips in their solutions will decide to close the door or merge in with another as car companies are doing. If it is not broken don't fix it is going to be the demise of many companies.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,516  
I have a friend that used to work at Boeing doing QC work, it was a nightmare for them to move to a different operating system. And I being on the other end, it is a nightmare supporting "obsolete" operating systems. It eventually becomes a cost dependent decision.
Agree. The support time frame for older systems has become shorter and shorter. Some customers hold onto an old reliable system for grim death and then it becomes a huge issue.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,518  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,519  
I'm not really a religious person but Leviticus 11 says what is clean/unclean food to eat.
If YHWH wants me to abstain from shrimp clams and crab, he's out of luck. I also love bacon. Mmm, bacon. I'm enjoying the last few BLTs of the year. I had one yesterday.

#4,520  

GM battery fires are promoting the move to LFP EV batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.