Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,531  
Not one mention of the amount of water used or hazardous waste from Samsung or the politicians trying to lure
the $17 Billion Microchip Plant to our county down the road in Taylor TX. Our Local Government has lined up incentives for the Project that include millions of tax incentive for Samsung.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,532  
Define "obsolete". Very often the "old version" does everything it needs to do. The tech industry loves "latest and greatest", and in some segments (cellphones for example) there are enough fools with more money than smarts who fall for it, but most applications get by just fine with "last year's model".

What a load of crap. GM isn't going anywhere.
If I were building a product, I'd want a supplier that gave me a product that met my specifications not one who expects me to keep re-inventing my products to match what they feel like selling me.
My background is that of a computer programmer. I remember back in the day when a company I worked for was running a partucular operating system on their IBM mainframe. IBM wanted them to move to a new OS. As stated in prior posts there is a substantial cost to the company using that software in testing to ensure everything still works after the 'upgrade'. In this particular instance IBM backed off due to the pushback from my company and many others.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#4,533  
Not one mention of the amount of water used or hazardous waste from Samsung or the politicians trying to lure
the $17 Billion Microchip Plant to our county down the road in Taylor TX. Our Local Government has lined up incentives for the Project that include millions of tax incentive for Samsung.
That's is an interesting article.

I see the western USA moving towards ghost town status due to the lack of water for people, animals, farming, manufacturing, etc. SpaceX and Tesla migration toward the east is huge for states like TX as the fossil fuel industry decline in part to it's damage to drinkable water supplies.

Two years ago I bought our 2016 Nissan Leaf which was the cheapest EV option that I could within 200 miles due to a battery weeks away from failing after to move to EVs became self evident. Recently I got a letter from an area Toyota dealership telling me they would give me a good trade-in value on my Leaf.

EV demand in the USA is unreal. Some Tesla used models are selling for more than they did new.

Our rising water levels in our water wells locally adds to my comfort zone based on what I hear from other parts because the rising oceans is not a local cause. The Ohio River feeds our water table.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,534  
Option 1) Whizzy new cell phone.
Option 2) Local farmers get to grow crops, raise livestock.

Fun choice....

Good article. Summarizes key things that are well known within the industry, but are largely unknown/ignored by the general public.

Carbon gets talked up a lot lately, but, consider this..... I'd have to look up the exact %, but PRC's production of PV (solar) cells is not small.

JUST the toxic waste PRC creates to drive cheap solar panels into our markets should not be ignored by the people here evangelizing EV+PV as the next miracle.........

That ^, is the not-ignoring-science-when-it's-convenient Thing.... (again, for clarity, I'm spouting off about the public-marketing, not the people/contents of this thread.....)

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,536  
Ford Mustang Mach-E to undergo police-car tests

Now they will be faster and not setting around burning gas.
It will be interesting to see how that does in the testing.

I remember taking note in a Car Craft article many years ago, how they worked over a v8 out of a police vehicle. Rodders and machinists will know what I'm talking about (I just can't remember the term for the process).... what was being addressed was the issue of thermal cycles on the block - big city patrol vehicles spent most of their life running, 3 shifts till retired.... so compared to private vehicles, the cop-block never cooled down....

As these EVs build up in fleets, various support factors will change, and not just the upgrade of the mains-feed to the garage.

Until recharge times approach gasoline fill times, extra (non down-for repair) units will be needed, above the ICE # on patrol.

I'm sure that Generator companies are salivating...... can you imagine the size of the emergency generator you will need to recharge even half a fleet of police vehicles quickly ?

It will be interesting (looking for ur's comments later in time.....) to see how Cali handles that ^ generator issue, esp. during their extended elective power cuts....

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,537  
Shortage of Koolaid in your Neck O'Woods G ?

Big Wink.

Your thoughtful and technically curious approach to all the topics connected to EVs is what keeps me and many others hanging out here...

My spidey-sense fires off when pretty much anything is being OverSold, and esp. when science is being used to market some aspects, then conveniently ignored in others (I'm speaking of the market, mass-media, and gubmints.... not the content of this thread).

I've probably stated here, but perhaps not recently.... I do welcome EVs as a transport option, but do have some concerns about enforced reductions in ICE vehicle availability...... If I lived in the centre of a high-density city, and didn't roam much outside of it I'd have less of a concern.....

Given the lack of attention paid to rural needs in recent decades.... yep, I'm concerned about how this plays out.....

Rgds, D.
I have said the same thing in the past. Your well thought out albeit different viewpoint is also an example of what keeps this thread alive.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#4,538  
Thanks for the kind remarks. At age 70 many have no concern when it comes to EVs but our son and daughter turn 24 this week. I see many will jump on the EV band wagon only to get burned.

On the flip side some will go ICE and get burned on a 72 or 84 month loans and be upside the whole way. ICE vehicles will crash hard because of their higher total cost of ownership.

4 years down the supply of EVs there should be good killing interest in ICE.

Another flip side will be how cheap the gas vehicles will make more sense for many people. For someone that lives in town or a few miles from town goes to McDonald's church and Walmart and Kroger's they would be able to find a very very nice fairly new gas car that could last them for many years so the EV would not make sense for them perhaps.

EVs are a status symbol to some. If one is just getting by on Social Security a great deal on a nice gas car is going to be attractive. The same may apply for kids going off to college.

Today EVs are a wild card at best so be aware.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,539  
The Lucid Air (Dream edition) has been tested and given a range estimate of 520 miles, and has a price tag of $169,000. Reservations for that one are also sold out.

No lack of people with more money than brains, it would seem.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,540  
I seriously doubt if the Planet needs saving that moving to EVs is going to be the planets salvation.
I saw an article today that claimed we could build a carbon-free electrical grid for 1/3 of the $21 trillion we spent in Iraq and Afghanistan over the last 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.