Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,111  
Made another run from here to Stillwater, OK again this weekend. On the way back I saw two Tesla's. One around Tulsa with a California plate and one around St. Louis with a Florida plate. ...1700 mile round trip
I went for my Pfizer booster this morning. In the half mile from home to freeway on-ramp I saw five Teslas. Neighbors on each side, two oncoming, and followed one.

I expect these people charge mostly at home. Maybe at work. And each has a different car, or more likely a 14 mpg SUV or pickup, for road trips like yours.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,112  
Made another run from here to Stillwater, OK again this weekend. On the way back I saw two Tesla's. One around Tulsa with a California plate and one around St. Louis with a Florida plate. It's 6 miles short of a 1700 mile round trip for me. I stopped once for gas there, and once on the way back. 20 minutes total in a 25 hour drive. I'll give them the overnighter in the middle, as I had to do that one as well. Gotta wonder how often or where they stopped for juice in their travels?

We averagd 70.0 mph for the 1694 miles. That means we were cruising at 80-85 most of the time, down to 65 in several places, which is exactly 10 over the posted speed limit in all cases.

This answers your question. They used a Tesla S Plaid, but it has basically the same (348 miles) range as a Model 3 LR (354 miles). Not all EV are alike though. Actually, there are Tesla EVs, and other companies EVs. They are still playing catch-up.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,113  
I went for my Pfizer booster this morning. In the half mile from home to freeway on-ramp I saw five Teslas. Neighbors on each side, two oncoming, and followed one.

I expect these people charge mostly at home. Maybe at work. And each has a different car, or more likely a 14 mpg SUV or pickup, for road trips like yours.
I took last weekend's trip in our 2013 Impala. We averaged 29.4 mpg. Two weeks before I had to make the trip in our 2003 Suburban. Averaged around 16.7.

My 1993 Suburban always got 18 on the highway.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,114  
We also subsidize big oil.
Currently, oil companies pay a fee to taxpayers for drilling on federal lands. Those fees haven’t changed since the 1920s. You can bet that these companies pay much more for drilling on state and private lands. US taxpayers are getting screwed but Congress won’t change the fee schedule. It’s not hard to guess why.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,115  
What do you see as an example of "vaporware" by Elon Musk?
"Full Self Driving ". Anyone without Elon's money would be in a lot of trouble. There have been allegations of fraud regarding this (no lawsuits to my knowledge though). Also there are ongoing investigations by federal agencies regarding traffic deaths related to this feature which seem to be conducted at a very slow pace.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,116  

China owning the world EV market?

There's a side of that which bows me up in the back yet I understand the meaningful USA public are condition to embrace EVs and most other goods produced in China or from parts made in China.

Sam's part of the world depends on China imports of all types.

#5,117  
#5,118  

So the Fox embraces the EV

#5,119  
"Full Self Driving ". Anyone without Elon's money would be in a lot of trouble. There have been allegations of fraud regarding this (no lawsuits to my knowledge though). Also there are ongoing investigations by federal agencies regarding traffic deaths related to this feature which seem to be conducted at a very slow pace.
No doubt Musk's successes has people looking for him to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.