Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,121  
This answers your question. They used a Tesla S Plaid, but it has basically the same (348 miles) range as a Model 3 LR (354 miles). Not all EV are alike though. Actually, there are Tesla EVs, and other companies EVs. They are still playing catch-up.
Thanks, but it didn't answer my question. For example, it took the gas car 19 hours to go 1000 miles. It takes me 16.5 hours to go 1100+ in my suburban. Why did it take them 2.5 hours longer to go 100 miles shorter in a gas powered car? Because they averaged 52mph. I average 67-68mph on the routes I have to take. So it's not the same comparison that I'm looking for. But again, thanks. (y)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,122  
No doubt Musk's successes has people looking for him to fail.

I would argue the opposite. Elon's financial success is insulating him from criticism. The description I have heard regarding this is that he has reached escape velocity. Who wants to rock the boat with Tesla valuations sky high? All the best.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,123  
I would argue the opposite. Elon's financial success is insulating him from criticism. The description I have heard regarding this is that he has reached escape velocity. Who wants to rock the boat with Tesla valuations sky high? All the best.
Due to the physical and verbal abuse he took as a child from other kids I expect he can let false statements by uninformed people today slide. More adults today grasp the autism spectrum related issues. Understanding geniuses can give many of us a struggle. :)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,124  

China owning the world EV market?

There's a side of that which bows me up in the back yet I understand the meaningful USA public are condition to embrace EVs and most other goods produced in China or from parts made in China.

Sam's part of the world depends on China imports of all types.
Well, we've enabled them to destroy pretty much every other manufacturing sector, why stop now ?

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,125  
This is my biggest problem with the fawning over EVs. They are an expensive interim step that is worse than Toyota's plug in hybrids already and eons behind cars like the Mirai. Wasting resources with the batteries and charging stations makes no sense since we can already tell we don't have near enough power production and long term issues with disposal.

We drive a Prius Prime. It is the best all-around interim. 20 miles of EV range and about 600 more when it switches to gas/hybrid mode.. They also make a RAV4 Prime.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,126  
This is my biggest problem with the fawning over EVs. They are an expensive interim step that is worse than Toyota's plug in hybrids already and eons behind cars like the Mirai. Wasting resources with the batteries and charging stations makes no sense since we can already tell we don't have near enough power production and long term issues with disposal.

We drive a Prius Prime. It is the best all-around interim. 20 miles of EV range and about 600 more when it switches to gas/hybrid mode.. They also make a RAV4 Prime.
This is why next year, when things hopefully settle down and I get some money set aside I will probably buy a Ford Maverick hybrid. The 20k base price is appealing and I like the 35+ mpg. By then my Colorado will be 6 years old with about 70k miles... I can back that into the garage with a full tank of gas and only use it when I need a 4wd pickup.

The Maverick isn't plugin but should go short distances on battery.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,127  
This is why next year, when things hopefully settle down and I get some money set aside I will probably buy a Ford Maverick hybrid. The 20k base price is appealing and I like the 35+ mpg. By then my Colorado will be 6 years old with about 70k miles... I can back that into the garage with a full tank of gas and only use it when I need a 4wd pickup.

I hear you, I'll wait for the Tundra Prime. Too many bad Ford experiences. Our old 'regular' Prius could handle parking lots on EV. Any faster or farther and it would use gas as needed.

#5,128  

"This new law builds from the executive order signed by Newsom in 2020 that bans the sale of new passenger cars powered by internal combustion engines in 2035. In the same order, Newsom calls for "100 percent zero-emission off-road vehicles and equipment," the phaseout of which must now be road mapped by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in 2022 and officially put in place by 2024."

Sounds like the 2035 ban by Executive Order on new ICE vehicles is the gateway to band new 25 and under HP ICE engines in 2024.

Instead of panicking all commerce small engine users just need to drive their new Ford F-150 Lighting to the job site. This will kill two birds with one stone!

Last edited:
#5,129  

If you had a spread like that you probably could afford $8,000 for the little truck.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,130  

I'll be interested if they come out with a king cab version with a 6' bed. I don't want to have to haul a trailer behind me.

Status
Not open for further replies.